Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag

Images

Default Sleeping bag

If you had to do it all over again what sleeping bag would you recommend?

Journal Entries

I use to use a Marmot Helium, then I switched to quilts. Remember that the part of the sleeping bag you lay on is not offering any protection. You will need to get a decent sleeping pad with a high R value unless you sleep cold. Quilts have a nice footbox for your toes to stay warm and you can wrap up in if you want to while cooking or eating your breakfast. Yes I switch to hammocks after it got harder and harder to crawl out of my tent every morning.
    Blackheart

Western Mountaineering "Alpinlite" 20 degree bag. QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY!!!

http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ies/alpinlite/

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post

OkeefenokeeJoe
    I hope so. I'm getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post

OkeefenokeeJoe
    My second Western Mountaineering bag. When I had the chance to do it all over again, I stayed with the same company.
    My first Western Mountaineering bag was an Antelope.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I use to use a Marmot Helium, then I switched to quilts. Remember that the part of the sleeping bag you lay on is not offering any protection.
    Klymit's "Static V" design addresses this: the spaces between the "V"s allows your sleeping bag insulation room to expand.

Images

I currently have the REI Joule but I feel too confined in it and it weighs like 2.2 lbs. I have been eyeing the Enlightened Equipment bags or the feathered friends 40. I am a side sleeper and I have the neo air.

I have the Western Mountaineering Ultralite (very similar to the Alpinlite). I'm extremely happy with it. I know most people swear by quilts, so that is definitely something to explore. I like being out when it's cold and like to be burrowed down in my mummy bag.

From what I've read and heard, I think you are safe with any Western Mountaineering mummy bag or a quilt from Enlightened Equipment or Feathered Friends. Haven't seen any negative reviews for these companies and products.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Klymit's "Static V" design addresses this: the spaces between the "V"s allows your sleeping bag insulation room to expand.
    Interesting...
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by EO. View Post
    I have the Western Mountaineering Ultralite (very similar to the Alpinlite). I'm extremely happy with it. I know most people swear by quilts, so that is definitely something to explore. I like being out when it's cold and like to be burrowed down in my mummy bag.

From what I've read and heard, I think you are safe with any Western Mountaineering mummy bag or a quilt from Enlightened Equipment or Feathered Friends. Haven't seen any negative reviews for these companies and products.
    Pay attention to internal dimensions. Shoulder girth in particular.
    There is a huge difference between 58", 59", 62", 64" & 65".
    My first mummy bag had 58" shoulder girth. I didn't know any better and if was ok.
    I bought a Western Mountaineering Antelope with 62" girth. It was wonderful. I could move in the bag without getting tangled up.
    More recently I was shopping for a replacement for my first bag. I tried the WM Ultralite, 59" girth. I felt trapped again. Then I tried the Alpinlite, 64" girth. At 5'-8" and 150-160 pounds, the 64" girth was more than I needed. I wish they made a 20 degree Antelope. I bought the Alpinlite and I'm very pleased.
    Top loft and internal dimensions are critical to sleeping comfort.
    Feathered Friends was making high quality bags before they made quilts. Most of their bags come in 3 internal sizes.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Thank you Wayne! I have no idea what I am doing but I am learning. So glad you mentioned the internal dimensions as I had not thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post
    Thank you Wayne! I have no idea what I am doing but I am learning. So glad you mentioned the internal dimensions as I had not thought about that.
    If you have any retail stores handy go crawl in a few sleeping bags. It's very educational.
    Finding loft figures (thickness of down over you keeping you warm) is getting harder and harder. Most bag makers blast you with fill power and treatment information. Nice but irrelevant to staying warm.
    A link to a table. Scroll down to Table 1.
    https://backpackinglight.com/bpl_sle...ion_statement/
    The loft figures are for the top half of the bag. It would be nice to know where the loft is measured. Western Mountaineering measures at the lowest point on their bags. At the shins. They are also more conservative than this table. Example: my Antelope is rated by WM at 5 degrees F. The table says -10 F. I will have to find out what it feels like at -10.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post
    If you had to do it all over again what sleeping bag would you recommend?
    As a woman who sleeps very cold and takes the 15* bag even when it's above freezing...I wouldn't waste my money again on a 40* bag. My favorite bag so far (out of 5?) is the Big Agnes Roxy Ann 15*. The sleeping pad slides into a sleeve which is great for those who toss and turn.

One day, I will splurge and buy a Western Mountaineering bag.

It depends on the sleeping bag you choose. Down and sleeping bags have different features.
    The synthetic sleeping bags are much cheaper, but they will not keep you warm in cold weather conditions. Down sleeping bags are a little more expensive, but they will have much better heat retention. These sleeping bags are ideal for cold weather trips like visiting the Arctic. I've used and compared here: http://hikertrack.com/down-vs-synthetic-sleeping-bag/
    For me I'm using the Teton brand coz it's extremely durable and privides a luxury sleeping experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Anderson View Post
    The synthetic sleeping bags are much cheaper, but they will not keep you warm in cold weather conditions.
    That doesn't make sense to me. Loft is loft, and that thickness of trapped air is what retains your body heat. Synthetic insulation is going to be heavier than down, but it'll still keep you warm.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Yeah, kinda, sorta, but not really.

I think this is a little bit of reality and a lot of hype. From what I've read, Klymit's Static V pads sleep a bit cold. Sure they have gaps between the ridges, but the majority of your insulation is still pressed against the pad. The V grooves are relatively narrow compared to the ridges as comfort would require them to be, and thus, the amount of loft into the mattress is going to be minimal if even noticeable. I'd rather just have a warmer pad.

As to the OP, I'd suggest considering a quilt. I really like quilts most of the year. You may find you like them a lot or that you don't, and really prefer being in more of a cocoon.

Two ways to experiment with quilts without spending too much money:
    1) Unzip your current sleeping bag and sleep under it like a quilt and see how you like it. . . pretty much the same as sleeping under a quilt.
    2) Go invest $15 in a twin sized Ikea Tilkort comforter. It won't have a foot box. But, it makes a great affordable and effective backpacking quilt. About 2 lbs. 100% polyester. Really soft and fluffy. Easily good into the high 40's or low 50's depending on how you're dressed and what you use for a pad.

Good luck and have fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

If quilts dont appeal and mummies are too restrictive, consider a Nemo "spoon" shaped bag. You get the room without cold corners like a rectangular bag has and they offer vents to increase cooling on warmer nights without creating drafts, they also feature an extra flap to seal the area under your chin and a very effective hood, with a pillow compartment. After using it I'm amazed no one else offers these features, and very pleased with my purchase.

Forgot to add, water proof toe box with added synthetic insulation, yes the main bag is down. The Nemo spoon bags are one of the few pieces of camping gear that makes me think someone wanted to make an ultimate bag(feature wise) not just another "same old thing".

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Forgot to add, water proof toe box with added synthetic insulation, yes the main bag is down. The Nemo spoon bags are one of the few pieces of camping gear that makes me think someone wanted to make an ultimate bag(feature wise) not just another "same old thing".

But they failed .

Images

Klymit Static V isn't the same as a Klymit Paraframe (or something-frame). The Static V has grooves but they aren't intended to allow your sleeping bag to expand, that is just an added benefit. The thingie-frame pads are the ones that are intentional to work with your sleeping bag's insulation, and are intended to go inside your sleeping bag as well. They are really weird looking.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++