Default Parking for section hike Caledonia PA?

Hello! I'm doing a section hike tomorrow starting at Caledonia State Park area, and was planning to backpack two nights/hike north three days. Is it safe to leave my car in the parking lot there? Or can I park somewhere in Fayetteville and uber to the trail head? Any help is appreciated, I don't know the areas around here well (came out to visit a friend). Our original plans to simply get dropped off at the starting point fell through.

Journal Entries
    Images

I led a group backpack trip in April 2017 that began there. We had no issues parking there. It is a big lot just outside the park's entrance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Thank you!! That's reassuring- did you have to pay or do anything to register your cars to leave them there?

IIRC, you should notify the Park Rangers that you will be parking there. There is a parking lot along Rt. 30, plus another within the park itself.
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by caufieldk View Post
    Thank you!! That's reassuring- did you have to pay or do anything to register your cars to leave them there?
    There was no pay and no registration. When we were there, the park had not yet opened for the spring. Bathrooms were closed too. Another time we were there, there was also no registration. I don't recall a nearby park office.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

There is an office in the park. When you turn at the light, the first road leads directly to the ranger station in a few yards. Some hikers park in the back lot, nearest the trail, but I think the rangers prefer you to park in the lot across the street. I'd ask when I got there. Either way, the lots are safe.

I hiked there in May and there was a lot on the south east corner by the light, not sure what that lot was for. there was another lot just 50 yards north of the light on the west side of the road. That was where the Ranger at the office told us to park. The trail is then further north about .6 miles along US30. Though if you want you can look for it on the map and pick it up closer on the east side of US30.

39.906217, -77.479203 is the location of the lot I was told to use.

39.908746, -77.478048 is the park office.

Thanks everyone! It worked out really well, the park office folks were nice and there was no charge to leave it across the street for two nights. First time on the trail, it was awesome!!!

++ New Posts ++