WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Trail Runners

Looking for recommendations on best light weight(1-2 pounds, pair)trail runners for high arches, narrow feet, 25-mile days, 25 # pack, with max cushioning and durability and low to medium cut, for a northbound hike starting March 2006. So far, my comnputer research finds Montrails among the best, but I need actual AT thru-hiker experiences to choose properly.

I switched to New Balance 806's 3,000 miles ago from Montrails. They are getting harder to find.

Images

How do the NB 808's compare to the 806's? I think they are susposed to be the replacement.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

I have narrow feet with high arches and Brooks shoes work the best for me. I'm currently using Cascadias, which are a horrible glaring yellow, and have been discontinued, so they're on sale... The Cascadias are very well ventilated and quick to dry.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

montrail hurricane ridge trail runners. my feet are really narrow and they fit like a glove, no blisters or hot spots. i carried 50+ lbs in them too and they were great, except for in pennslyvania....god, i'll never do that again. i began rolling each ankle twice per hour (too much weight for trail runners + rocks).

also, solomon makes good shoe for narrow feet. give them a try.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Marta I remember following you in those bright yellow shoes at the SoRuck, at least people will see you coming!!!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

New Balance trimmed weight on their line of trail runners after the 806's at the expense of durability and support. I've been a big fan of theirs, had 705s, 706s, 804s, 805s and they were all great shoes, the 705s and 806s being the ones I considered most trail-worthy. When I tried the 808s I hated the lack of lateral support and the rubber toeguard peeled off both shoes on the second day out. Also heard similar complaints about the 90x series.

Montrail Hardrocks have been great for me. Hiked on the John Muir Trail with them and I am using them for hikes around my home in MA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swift
    New Balance trimmed weight on their line of trail runners after the 806's at the expense of durability and support. I've been a big fan of theirs, had 705s, 706s, 804s, 805s and they were all great shoes, the 705s and 806s being the ones I considered most trail-worthy. When I tried the 808s I hated the lack of lateral support and the rubber toeguard peeled off both shoes on the second day out. Also heard similar complaints about the 90x series.
    Thanks for the great info, swift. You probably just saved me from trying the 808's myself.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Default Yeah, I noticed that, too...

Quote Originally Posted by swift
    I used a pair of 805s for my GA section hikes, and was very happy with how they worked out. Now, one of my set-aside pairs for my upcoming thruhike attempt is a pair of 808s, and although generally well-designed for the weight, they seem kind of weak and flimsy. My pair of 808s do seem like they would dry much faster, though; drying speed was my chief gripe with my 805s.

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Default Arch Support?

Yea, Guys....

Which of the 'trail-runners' (weighing at 2#'s or less) has the best support under the arch....a shank? Maybe a nylon 1/2shank....or something. I look at these shoes like this. Wear 'um, beat 'um up, toss 'um when they fall apart, get newbies, keep going. Don't expect much support, so better have strong ankles, knees, etc. It's a tough trade off....comfort and weight for support and longevity....vis a vie wearing boots. I would like to 'try' lighter trail shoes, but have doubts about support, etc. Traveling light tho', is the only way to go, so the possibility of lighter weight, less supportive foot wear is becoming more and more of a possibility....right?
    Check it Out! Kozmiczian
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Images

I'm not a real big fan of NB shoes. But, I really do like Asics models. The Eagle Trail and Gel Trabuco are both pretty solid. The first gives more traction, the second is more durable. Pretty much anything they make fits me and just flat out works.

Brooks makes some pretty good shoes as well, with the Cascadia being my favorite due to its garish colors (I'm waiting for someone to make racing green shoes). However, I've noticed that Brooks' shoes are significantly larger and wider than Asics.

Default I plan on

leaving Springer Feb. 10th or 11th, 2006 in my well broke in Montrail TRS
    Comps. Will have some NB 903's in my bounce box to switch back and forth
    approx. every two weeks or so. Only knock I have about either is I don't
    think you can get the TRS Comps any longer ?, and the NB 903's have
    limited availability.

At age 58 my arches are just about gone, but feet still a little on the narrow
    side.

I use custom foot-beds and my feet stay in relatively decent shape mile
    after mile.

Good luck. IMHO you can't invest to much effort in getting the correct
    footwear for you !!
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Default Trailrunners

The Montrail Vitesse is my favorite. I have somewhat narrow feet with a high arch and instep. While I haven't done a through hike, I have put quite a few miles on my Montrails with absolutely no problems. I normally start a week long hike with 30-35lb on my back (I carry all food for a week) and usually do around 15 miles/day.

my favorites are my montrail massai's which are not mad anymore, but might be findable.wildly confortable and all mesh which hurts ruggedness a bit, but they keep my feet for soaking socks, which no others have been able to do. this is a picture i took mysled\f soon after getting them.Attachment 510

Quote Originally Posted by Bravefoot
    So far, my comnputer research finds Montrails among the best, but I need actual AT thru-hiker experiences to choose properly.
    No you need to actually try as many as you can and pick the ones that fit your feet the best. How long they last is the only thing important others can tell you.

Images

montrail hardrocks. narrow and lots of support. think about throwing some superfeet in them.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Just picked up some Hardrocks this weekend. Looking forward to getting out there and trying them out. To be honest I liked the way the Salomons felt better, but I don't like their unconventional shoe laces....they break way too much!!!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

one piece of very important advice. some shoes have a plastic support under the arch on the sole of the shoes. these are no good for the AT. with all the exposed tree roots that you will be standing on you will find there is absolutely no traction with the root and the plastic resulting in falling over or doing splits! north face have an awesome trail shoe in thier flight series, i used it last year and would highly recomend it for the AT

I used Montrail GTX Storm the summer before last for backpacking in Scotland. They had taken about three weeks to break in, compared with the instant hiking comfort of Han Wag Lima boots. The mesh of the shoes frayed within forty miles, just enough to allow both feet to get soaked, tenderized, then blistered for the first time in fifteen years. The Montrail agent in England claimed at first that the waterproofing was intact, till my dealer insisted on a more rigorous test, after refunding my money. I'll stick with boots until I find a shoe I feel I can rely on. Keith.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++