WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    "If you take the Sherburne Pass Trail it will lead you directly to the Inn at Long Trail. If you don't, it requires a 1 mile road walk to get to the Inn."

So, I'm an old phart, and memory sucks. I did the official reroute as part of my AT section hike. Not sure what road walk you're talking about.

I got to the Inn by dropping down from Maine Junction on the blue blaze that goes right to the Inn, and got back on the trail by going back up it.

Ldog

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Yes you and tdoczi have both pointed out correctly that for AT thru hikers heading north you can cross Route 4, continue on to Maine Junction and then keep heading north (really east at that point) and then drop down a short blue blaze trail to the Inn. For an LT north bound hiker that would be slightly more out of the way since we are heading north to Canada at Maine Junction.

I just thought the official Green Mountain Club position and how I learned of their position was slightly interesting. In my defense I do have this in the Long Trail forum. : )

By the way I really liked your original post in this thread. And it was interesting to hear why the relo was done in the first place from peakbagger.

My other thought is that perhaps long trails should provide two official trails in situations like this. Sure do the relo but say clearly either way counts. I think people would feel more free then to go the way they want rather then stay on the official trail so they don't later have to explain themselves as tdoczi references above "I hiked the LT, but . . ."

AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well I am looking at it as an prospective LT hiker. I was going this year, but events conspired against me. So this time next year...

Afaic, the purity thing is:

(a) almost entirely an AT thru hiker thing, and
    (b) a petty, irrational concern born out of some kind of perceived stolen valor slight. Unfortunately a big deal on a crowded trail because so many AT thrus do skip sections, and do any number of other things that others find abhorrent. I hiked the blue blazed trail thru Gulf Hagas. I applied for my 2000 miler patch in good conscious. Kill me.

So, because I was exposed to that insane concept, I did ask GMC whether taking the Sherburne Pass would be disqualifying for e2e certification. Their response was:

"Many people hike that route in order to stay at the Inn at Long Trail, so it would not be disqualifying."

There. Done. The word from GMC. They don't need to provide two official routes, they just need to provide general guidelines and trust good folk to do the right thing. I'll bet many off them think highly of those who hike the original route. I know the innkeepers do ...

I fully intend to hike the original route rather than that awful new one. Gonna bag Pico's summit on the way, and hoist some good Irish Whisky at the Inn before continuing north.

To tradition!
    Ldog

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LDog; 08-17-2017 at 00:39. Reason: speeling correction
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    . . .So, because I was exposed to that insane concept, I did ask GMC whether taking the Sherburne Pass would be disqualifying for e2e certification. Their response was:
    "Many people hike that route in order to stay at the Inn at Long Trail, so it would not be disqualifying."
    There. Done. The word from GMC. They don't need to provide two official routes, they just need to provide general guidelines and trust good folk to do the right thing. I'll bet many off them think highly of those who hike the original route. I know the innkeepers do ...
    Completely agree with you LDog. And I can verify that unsurprisingly the Inn at the Long Trail is definitely is a fan of LT hikers "retro blazing". My additional thought was for the GMC to put it on their map or guidebook or end-to-enders guide and therefore make it "official". I believe it's already mentioned somewhere that taking a bad weather trail to avoid a peak during inclement weather still "counts".

And for your especially LDog, you've already done the new/current route during your AT hike. So even if the Sherburne Pass trail didn't count, which according to GMC it does, then you'd still be an end-to-ender as you'll have done all of the current/official LT. Anyway enjoy your hike when you go next year and report back how it went!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++