WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trail pasta

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    This would make the "noodles stuck together" problem worse (no stirring, no water boiling). You don't get a "level of al dente"; instead, you get multiple levels depending on how many layers of noodles stuck together (and impeded the cooking process) in each forkful.
    the key is not to be picky. but to be thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I am a bit confused with your aversion to olive oil. Even with a big cookpot at home, you don't add olive oil to the boiling water before adding the fettuccine?
    Nope; just lots of water and lots of stirring to keep things from sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear
    Here's a hint, leave out the parmigiano, add garlic and parsley and toss with any noodles. Pasta aglio et olio. Voila. BTW, aglio et olio doesn't need cheese at all and to my way of thinking is not authentic with the cheese...
    But I like the cheese; that's what makes it tasty and fun for me. Plus the protein is good.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    the key is not to be picky. but to be thankful.
    i like that!

though you could just leave a little starchy pasta water in the pot to improve schtick. Also drop your pasta and stir to break up friends, once they part ways they should be good to go.

I'm with you. You don't want to scrimp in the food department.

So cook up a big batch of Chicken Alfredo, pig out, and then head to Walmart to buy your Mountain House pasta for the trail. Because it's a bad idea to go grocery shopping when you're hungry! My favorite is chili-mac. The lasagna is not bad but the spaghetti is better. But it's all good. You can buy the double-packs to save some money, but fair warning -- when your appetite kicks in you'll have a hard time saving the 2nd half for tomorrow. But I can tell you this -- you're not going to feel like gourmet cooking after climbing mountains all day.

The only place I ever had a problem finding Mountain House on the trail was Mountain Crossings. If you come through after the bubble the chili-mac will be all gone.

For long distance hiking I prepare all meals at home by fully cooking the entire meal...including the cooked pasta and dehydrate. If your dehydrated meals are stored properly and you have help sending out mail drops it really is worth the effort because the taste....soooo good.

However...if this isn't your style of resupply on a long distance hike try orzo. It cooks up fast, it is compact, it seems to goes well with just about any sauce or topping out there. Let's face it too...if you are cooking up a meal after hiking all day and it is remotely tasty then you will gobble it down with no complaints.

Just one more thing to add...In dehydrated meals, orzo rehydrates nice plus it isn't as pokey to plastic storage bags as other types of dehydrated pasta.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtngoat01 View Post
    If your dehydrated meals are stored properly and you have help sending out mail drops ....
    I won't have that much help, alas. I might get a half dozen boxes total, and the first one I'll mail myself before I leave. So those boxes are going to be for lighter clothes, multivitamins and similar small consumables, and things I really want but can't expect to find in normal stores (loose high quality black tea, and maple sugar for my pancakes, for examples). 99+% of my food is going to be purchased as I go. I expect to eat pasta at least a couple times every week, and a box once a month doesn't jibe with that.

This past weekend i tried pasta after a short six miles and it worked awesome what i used was a quick boil pasta only takes three mins if that and it seems to not stick together all that much.

I've gotten hooked on cheese tortellini as my one cooked meal a day. Add whatever extras you crave.... we've done packs of sun dried tomatoes, olives, jerker, parmesan etc. You can even add sauce.

No sticking, no thinking and most importantly...6 oz of hearty food after banging out 20 miles!

Made pasta many times in a camp pot never had any issues with it sticking either. Hard rolling boil salt the water add pasta cook drain eat. Easy peasy. Sure you can add some oil to it. Also regarding the cheese choice I'd much rather hump in a good chunk of real cheese and skip that canned crap. But hey hike yer own hike if it works for ya
    Oh and do stir occasionally no need for all the time
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Also if it sticks after cooking do toss it with oil to keep it seperatef
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Great suggestions here.

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Also regarding the cheese choice I'd much rather hump in a good chunk of real cheese and skip that canned crap.
    What canned cheese are you referring to? I make my own Alfredo sauce.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++