WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks everyone for the input and opinions on this. I'm renting a hammock for the weekend and will report back afterwards. This definitely seems to be a personal preference thing, and probably relates directly to the way a certain individual sleeps. Only one way to find out I guess. I hope that I like it, because I can certainly see some advantages in being able camp where there is a shortage of level ground.

On a pure weight discussion- regardless of what folks may claim- you cannot get a hammock rig as light as a ground rig.
    Period.

I sell hammocks. I have the one of the lightest GE hammocks, if not the lightest (M10 GE at 4 ounces or less) and the lightest bridge hammock in the world- 9.25 ounces including the poles. I also make the largest weight capacity bridge in the world- up to 365lb user weight and 2lbs 4 oz carry weight.

Off hand bragging for no great reason aside.
    Tarp= same.
    TQ= same.
    foam pad and poly cryo ground sheet= smacks the crap out of any hammock, suspension, and UQ combo you could dream up.

It's just a fact. You need more pieces and those pieces weigh more.

Where it changes if it you aren't 20 anymore and a 1/8" Gossamer gear partial length pad doesn't do it. Once you start looking at a 1lb wide air pad... then things can start getting closer.

Once you start adding a tent, or a net liner, or other creature comforts to make your time on the ground more comfy... things can start to even up... if considering the lightest hammock rigs.

Context being my only point. Your system vs. the alternative. Relative to where you will visit and what you want.

When a certain someone I know moved to FL and was contemplating a FT FKT- there's lots of nasty ground there. Stuff that you might not want crawling over you, things that might shred a SUL ground system and flat out areas of trail that are under water. So the lightest practical system to resolve those issues might be a hammock.

Tipi might recommend you a fine tent you can pitch in a puddle, along with a fine pack to carry it. Course you'll be at 12lbs or more at that point so not relative to the discussion at hand... but an option.
    As pointed out- in high summer- an UQ could possibly be left home- changing the equation too and potentially being the better and lighter option.

When you start talking an average free standing UL tent vs a UL hammock... then things get a bit easier.

Keep in mind though... I got into bridges because there are lots of times you might WANT to go to ground. While a cardinal sin amongst some hammock enthusiasts... most backpackers understand that there are open summits worth cowboy camping on, nights in open fields under the stars, occasional overfilled hostels, and even the occasional shelter after a 20 mile day in a down pour that looks damn appealing to slap a pad down and pass out in.

GE hammocks can be harder to get to work with a pad, bridges are easier. That's why I got into those personally- and I find I can do a weekend or so in a GE well enough... but after that I need a bridge. The hardest thing about hammocks is they are pretty close to buying shoes- and we all know how shoe discussions go and how easily we can all find one or two easy options right?

For those not familiar a bridge is a bit like a floating cot when done right.

The simplest answer- if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    If you are sleeping well on the ground still at a reasonable weight- call it good.
    If you are having some troubles or just plain bored- try a gathered end- better yet go to a group hang.
    If you find a GE hammock you like- you win- stop there. It's the lightest simplest hammock you will find.
    If all else fails- try a bridge. They are the heaviest option, often require a tarp- and there are not many to pick from.

I'm working on a better hammock- but my Big Guy Bridge is filling a bit of a void at the moment and taking up my time.
    My goal though is to come up with a 1lb bridge for backpackers around 200lbs or less in weight. Being a big floating cot- you can just slap your pad in there for trips that require one, or eventually bring an UQ for about 8-10 ounces. Even my big bridges are fairly compact- but they need about a 12' RL tarp- which again is bigger than any ground tarp you would take. So even my UL version of a Luxury bridge would still clock in at a decent weight due to parts and pieces needed to flush it out.

At one point Matt and I were trying hard to crack the 2lb problem for a total sleep system. That's where the Micro Bridge came from.
    At the time- a fella at BPL was about 26 ounces all in for sleep, insulation, bugs, and weather. (Tarp, micro net, ground sheet, foamie, Top quilt)
    We were cracking about 36/37 ounces... so getting there but not there yet. But a clear comfort advantage for where we camped vs where he camped (lots of soft forest duff and easier site selection). Hell you find the perfect site and you don't need a pad in some areas of the country.

The goal was an acceptable hammock system for 45* or so that could keep you dry and allow you to go to ground when needed.

Micro bridge- 9.25+2oz legal suspension (or a hair less) (as in 1" straps not rope)
    Thermarest small- 8oz
    Town's End Just a Quilt XUL- 11 oz.
    Cuben Poncho tarp+headnet- 6 oz.
    Pack under heels/calves- already carried.

If I remember correctly that's where we left off... I suppose we could swap the bridge for the SUL GE's I now have and shave 5 oz. And that was before Kevlar straps came out too...
    So maybe cracking 2lbs is already possible with a complete hammock sleep system... hopefully we can revisit that at some point soon.

Is that light enough to get off the ground?

Journal Entries

When I made the switch to a hammock I slept so much better than trying to drag my old bones out of a sleeping bag and standing up.
    Blackheart

Why not keep both? It's good to have options on what shelter to use.
    Let me go

I am being back and forth about leaving my tent for a hammock. I love my Marmot tent but it is getting old, I just had to reseal and treat it.if it does not work right...there is a Clark tent that is "calling me". No way to test it though. Any feedback about it? I am mostly looking for a female point of view

Quote Originally Posted by Akela View Post
    I am being back and forth about leaving my tent for a hammock. I love my Marmot tent but it is getting old, I just had to reseal and treat it.if it does not work right...there is a Clark NX-270 that is "calling me". No way to test it though. Any feedback about it? I am mostly looking for a female point of view
    -I meant Clark hammock

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    @cspan I have no idea of your experience level so forgive me if this comes off as treating you as a noob.

If you haven't already, maybe you should try a bridge. Less fabric surrounding you so better airflow AND less shoulder squeeze. You probably already know this, but even in warm weather your backside can be cooled off quickly with the uq pulled to one side. It doesn't help airflow over the top of course. Not my cup of tea, but some folks rig up a mini fan to hang from the RL.

What fabric is your hammock made of? This can make considerable difference in perceived shoulder squeeze.
    I'm pretty sure the GT SBP is nylon, though I don't know the weight. The GT UL is polyester, I think.
    As for being a noob, well, I have hammock camped several times, but not tried a bridge ... not sure if that meets your criteria or not. For some reason I'm not terribly interested in a bridge hammock. Perhaps part of it is the concern of throwing good money after bad. But if I had a chance to borrow one for a night, I'd surely give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    On a pure weight discussion- regardless of what folks may claim- you cannot get a hammock rig as light as a ground rig.
    Period.

I sell hammocks. I have the one of the lightest GE hammocks, if not the lightest (M10 GE at 4 ounces or less) and the lightest bridge hammock in the world- 9.25 ounces including the poles. I also make the largest weight capacity bridge in the world- up to 365lb user weight and 2lbs 4 oz carry weight.

Off hand bragging for no great reason aside.
    Tarp= same.
    TQ= same.
    foam pad and poly cryo ground sheet= smacks the crap out of any hammock, suspension, and UQ combo you could dream up.

It's just a fact. You need more pieces and those pieces weigh more.

Where it changes if it you aren't 20 anymore and a 1/8" Gossamer gear partial length pad doesn't do it. Once you start looking at a 1lb wide air pad... then things can start getting closer.

Once you start adding a tent, or a net liner, or other creature comforts to make your time on the ground more comfy... things can start to even up... if considering the lightest hammock rigs.

Context being my only point. Your system vs. the alternative. Relative to where you will visit and what you want.

When a certain someone I know moved to FL and was contemplating a FT FKT- there's lots of nasty ground there. Stuff that you might not want crawling over you, things that might shred a SUL ground system and flat out areas of trail that are under water. So the lightest practical system to resolve those issues might be a hammock.

Tipi might recommend you a fine tent you can pitch in a puddle, along with a fine pack to carry it. Course you'll be at 12lbs or more at that point so not relative to the discussion at hand... but an option.
    As pointed out- in high summer- an UQ could possibly be left home- changing the equation too and potentially being the better and lighter option.

When you start talking an average free standing UL tent vs a UL hammock... then things get a bit easier.

Keep in mind though... I got into bridges because there are lots of times you might WANT to go to ground. While a cardinal sin amongst some hammock enthusiasts... most backpackers understand that there are open summits worth cowboy camping on, nights in open fields under the stars, occasional overfilled hostels, and even the occasional shelter after a 20 mile day in a down pour that looks damn appealing to slap a pad down and pass out in.

GE hammocks can be harder to get to work with a pad, bridges are easier. That's why I got into those personally- and I find I can do a weekend or so in a GE well enough... but after that I need a bridge. The hardest thing about hammocks is they are pretty close to buying shoes- and we all know how shoe discussions go and how easily we can all find one or two easy options right?

For those not familiar a bridge is a bit like a floating cot when done right.

The simplest answer- if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    If you are sleeping well on the ground still at a reasonable weight- call it good.
    If you are having some troubles or just plain bored- try a gathered end- better yet go to a group hang.
    If you find a GE hammock you like- you win- stop there. It's the lightest simplest hammock you will find.
    If all else fails- try a bridge. They are the heaviest option, often require a tarp- and there are not many to pick from.

I'm working on a better hammock- but my Big Guy Bridge is filling a bit of a void at the moment and taking up my time.
    My goal though is to come up with a 1lb bridge for backpackers around 200lbs or less in weight. Being a big floating cot- you can just slap your pad in there for trips that require one, or eventually bring an UQ for about 8-10 ounces. Even my big bridges are fairly compact- but they need about a 12' RL tarp- which again is bigger than any ground tarp you would take. So even my UL version of a Luxury bridge would still clock in at a decent weight due to parts and pieces needed to flush it out.

At one point Matt and I were trying hard to crack the 2lb problem for a total sleep system. That's where the Micro Bridge came from.
    At the time- a fella at BPL was about 26 ounces all in for sleep, insulation, bugs, and weather. (Tarp, micro net, ground sheet, foamie, Top quilt)
    We were cracking about 36/37 ounces... so getting there but not there yet. But a clear comfort advantage for where we camped vs where he camped (lots of soft forest duff and easier site selection). Hell you find the perfect site and you don't need a pad in some areas of the country.

The goal was an acceptable hammock system for 45* or so that could keep you dry and allow you to go to ground when needed.

Micro bridge- 9.25+2oz legal suspension (or a hair less) (as in 1" straps not rope)
    Thermarest small- 8oz
    Town's End Just a Quilt XUL- 11 oz.
    Cuben Poncho tarp+headnet- 6 oz.
    Pack under heels/calves- already carried.

If I remember correctly that's where we left off... I suppose we could swap the bridge for the SUL GE's I now have and shave 5 oz. And that was before Kevlar straps came out too...
    So maybe cracking 2lbs is already possible with a complete hammock sleep system... hopefully we can revisit that at some point soon.

Is that light enough to get off the ground?
    Okay, how do I buy one of these 9.5oz bridge hammocks?

I thought that would get your attention. It got mine for sure.
    Standing by.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Okay, how do I buy one of these 9.5oz bridge hammocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I thought that would get your attention. It got mine for sure.
    Standing by.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are a few things I make that are 'not for the general public'

The micro bridge is one I don't even share pictures of. It's SUL gear in every sense of the word... a bit fragile, pushing the limits, etc.
    I think there are only a few in the wild all together and officially me and Matt Kirk are the only two with the current design.
    .490 poles, which despite all rational judgement Matt had me split into two piece poles (holding so far)
    Dynaglide suspension, Robic 1.0 fabric (now discontinued) and a fair share of failures.

I have slept in it at 220- but 180 or less is a more reasonable user weight.
    It's basically a side sleeper meant to be used with a pad. (for ground and air attack as needed).
    It is usable with a small neo-air for summer fast and light trips, or a z-rest/gossamer gear pad for true UL.

So in short- it's a prototype. I'm not totally opposed to talking to a few folks who understand the high risk/high reward of it- but it's not gear meant for average folks.

I am hoping to work more with the newest hybrid 1.2, carbon fiber poles, and my designs to create a 1lb or less slightly bigger, slightly more robust version.

Realistically- this winter would be an acceptable timeframe to talk about it more if one of you was truly interested and understood what you were getting into.
    It's not a disposable product, I just haven't had enough time to test it and the Robic 1.0 was discontinued as it occasionally had failures (well under 5%) for no apparent reason. There is no way to predict if it would last 10 nights or 100 nights with that fabric. Other 1.0 fabrics were not robust enough to work well... Hyper D 1.0 typically made it 60-90 days before retirement to car camping use only seemed reasonable. I'd like to see them hit the 120 day mark (a thru) on durability...

Mainly- I'm too small and too busy as a one man band to dump too much R&D into this one. But I wouldn't have been able to design the big guy bridge if I hadn't made the micro.
    Here's my last update at Hammock Forums for those who care to read it- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Bridge-update

Room for another Chattanooga hanger? My Hennessy Deep Jungle gives me a better nights sleep than going to ground. I like the flexibility to be able to use it all 4 seasons and I have a Hubba tent and neoair mat, so I even get to mix and match. Right tool for the job I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    There are a few things I make that are 'not for the general public'

The micro bridge is one I don't even share pictures of. It's SUL gear in every sense of the word... a bit fragile, pushing the limits, etc.
    I think there are only a few in the wild all together and officially me and Matt Kirk are the only two with the current design.
    .490 poles, which despite all rational judgement Matt had me split into two piece poles (holding so far)
    Dynaglide suspension, Robic 1.0 fabric (now discontinued) and a fair share of failures.

I have slept in it at 220- but 180 or less is a more reasonable user weight.
    It's basically a side sleeper meant to be used with a pad. (for ground and air attack as needed).
    It is usable with a small neo-air for summer fast and light trips, or a z-rest/gossamer gear pad for true UL.

So in short- it's a prototype. I'm not totally opposed to talking to a few folks who understand the high risk/high reward of it- but it's not gear meant for average folks.

I am hoping to work more with the newest hybrid 1.2, carbon fiber poles, and my designs to create a 1lb or less slightly bigger, slightly more robust version.

Realistically- this winter would be an acceptable timeframe to talk about it more if one of you was truly interested and understood what you were getting into.
    It's not a disposable product, I just haven't had enough time to test it and the Robic 1.0 was discontinued as it occasionally had failures (well under 5%) for no apparent reason. There is no way to predict if it would last 10 nights or 100 nights with that fabric. Other 1.0 fabrics were not robust enough to work well... Hyper D 1.0 typically made it 60-90 days before retirement to car camping use only seemed reasonable. I'd like to see them hit the 120 day mark (a thru) on durability...

Mainly- I'm too small and too busy as a one man band to dump too much R&D into this one. But I wouldn't have been able to design the big guy bridge if I hadn't made the micro.
    Here's my last update at Hammock Forums for those who care to read it- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Bridge-update
    I'd be interested in talking more with you about it. I'm usually around 115# so nowhere near the fail rating for 1.0 fabric which I want to stick with, either HyperD or Hexon from Dutchware. I am no DIYer, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I'd be interested in talking more with you about it. I'm usually around 115# so nowhere near the fail rating for 1.0 fabric which I want to stick with, either HyperD or Hexon from Dutchware. I am no DIYer, sadly.
    I'll keep you in mind... hoping to get to the shop for some time this weekend. Maybe I'll even consider my personal one... not much chance to use it these days.
    Next up is to try my medium bridge in the Hybrid 1.2. That one is bigger than a Ridgerunner but much more compact and trail worthy than the BigBoy/Lux bridge. With Carbon fiber poles I could possibly get that close to a pound. I did make up a Lux bridge in 1.7 and carbon poles that was about 20 oz... so getting there. A regular UQ works better on the Medium bridge as well, the micro is no problem with a stock UQ so there is an advantage there.

Bridges put a unique stress on fabrics, even hammock specific diamond grid fabrics like HyperD or Hexon don't hold up well (in recessed bar designs).
    The Hybrid 1.7 has done very well with the big boy bridge. One of the original testers is 365lbs and sleeps in it daily... I think he's up to over 300 nights... and that's after he shot the pole through both layers and simply patching with tenacious tape. So I have high hopes for the 1.2.

At your weight- you might be a candidate for one of my Membrane 10(.67 oz) hammocks. I don't really make gathered ends as a product, but I do make them here or there to burn up fabric or for special jobs.
    (I need to get one to Laz!) But those are not made by anyone else as they are too SUL to really stand by... but some folks understand what they are buying and have a use for things like a 4 oz GE. They hold my currently fat arse (230).

Somebody bought a double layer not too far back in 4x9 and it was pretty sweet.
    Bout 7.4 ounces tree to tree- dynaglide suspension, RL, and kevlar straps. Truly a pocket hammock in size.
    DL M 10.jpg

Here's a rare photo of a man, his mulch monster, and his microbridge.
    man, mulch, micro.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
    Hey all, I'm thinking of making the switch to a hammock, but I do have some concerns. I've been section hiking the AT this year and have come across quite a number of hammock users who all love their sleep system. I've taken a look at what they are using, and it seems to involve a lot more gear than what I currently use. It also seems like it would be heavier. I'm currently using the Zpacks Duplex tent, Sea to Summit insulated pad and a Nemo Nocturne 30 degree bag. That's a little over 4 lbs. Won't the hammock, straps, tarp, under quilt and top quilt be more than that?
    Yes. Most hammock Systems are heavier but as an older Hiker I enjoy being off the ground. So for me it's worth the weight.

But based on my last section hike of 270 miles I would have used a tarp with storm flaps.

Hennessy Hyperlight
    HMG Top/Bottom quilt
    Stock harness

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I apologize if this is redundant (I didn't read the other posts).

We have found that a hammock weighs more than an expensive light weight tent. However, it weighs less than a cheap heavy tent.

It is important to make sure your hammock has insulation for the under portion. This could be a hammock quilt or it could be a cheap closed cell (think 1/4 inch foam) sleeping mat. Those sleeping mats can even be cut out in the shape of a mummy - if they are cut out to fit the hammock. This will provide wearthm and comformt during sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I agree you really need to try it out. I almost always hammock but I tend to not sleep as well as with a tent because I tend to sleep on my side. I plan to get a different hammock, though, to try and achieve a flatter lay. I like the idea of being up off the ground, though. The other big draw back for me is where to put my stuff. I find hanging it all up to be less than idea. Can't beat a tent for making yourself at home.
    Hey UJ,I just bot a gear hammock from Simply Light Designs,will let you know how it works.I am packing my quilts in it inside the pack along with a down jacket.Once set up the oddball gear that would otherwise be on the ground will be in the gear hammock.I have saved the weight of my ground sheet by switching over.

I have been hammocking for a number of years now and have 4 hammocks. Even though I like them all, my go to hammock is a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double layer. It's not the lightest or the most comfortable, but it has a combination of features that make it the best of the lot. Team with a Mamajama or Superfly and you've got a great combination.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

SusanLeo

I am a camper and I have switched from tent camping to hammock camping because the hammocks has several advantages over the tent.
    Some of them are listed in this article.
    However, depending on the weather you must choose the right type of your trip.
    Last edited by SusanLeo; 10-30-2017 at 20:06.

Journal Entries
    Images

Your Duplex setup is one of the lightest on the market. The lightest hammock setup will weigh about the same, but you'll be using Dyneema whoopie slings attached to caribiners at the ends of the hammock, the lightest tarp you can afford that gives you the coverage you want, and a down top and bottom quilt. Buy an el Cheapo 11 foot Speer type hammock (or make one yourself) and see if you sleep well in it. You'll know after two or three nights if you're going to be a convert.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
    Hey all, I'm thinking of making the switch to a hammock, but I do have some concerns. I've been section hiking the AT this year and have come across quite a number of hammock users who all love their sleep system. I've taken a look at what they are using, and it seems to involve a lot more gear than what I currently use. It also seems like it would be heavier. I'm currently using the Zpacks Duplex tent, Sea to Summit insulated pad and a Nemo Nocturne 30 degree bag. That's a little over 4 lbs. Won't the hammock, straps, tarp, under quilt and top quilt be more than that?

Journal Entries
    Images

But if you sleep comfortably in your Duplex... I'm just thinking out loud here... I'd be hesitant to switch. You've spent a lot of money for a really nice setup already.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Your Duplex setup is one of the lightest on the market. The lightest hammock setup will weigh about the same, but you'll be using Dyneema whoopie slings attached to caribiners at the ends of the hammock, the lightest tarp you can afford that gives you the coverage you want, and a down top and bottom quilt. Buy an el Cheapo 11 foot Speer type hammock (or make one yourself) and see if you sleep well in it. You'll know after two or three nights if you're going to be a convert.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++