WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I wonder how many who use footprints have ever not used a footprint. On an experienced hiker's advice, pre-internet, I stopped using one over a dozen years ago and am so glad I did. I never missed it one bit. I've worn out one tent since then. The guy lines started ripping away from the canopy, but the floor was pristine. I've learned how to choose good tent sites and keep dry in a wet tent with no extra pack weight.

I really don't get the keeping the tent clean argument. A footprint becomes another wet surface to pack and eventually try to dry out.

I had never used one before my last section hike.

The best use i found was in shelters to protect from splinters (and without the tent).

Am just playing with them now. But they are easy enough to make and experiment with for now.

Our new, sub three pound tent just seems like the floor is fragile and three to four ounces doesn't seem like much (and yes, I know how weight can creep up).

I am guilty of carrying a purchased length of 0.5 oz/yd cuben 50" x 84" to use specifically on shelter floors. That size weighs 1.9 oz. I do not use a footprint.

Just another thing to carry. No thanks

thom

I really don't get the keeping the tent clean argument. A footprint becomes another wet surface to pack and eventually try to dry out.
    One advantage a footprint has is that it's just a single sheet of material, which is easy to hang up and dry in the breeze if the weather cooperates for a few minutes. Drying a tent is a harder job.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I am guilty of carrying a purchased length of 0.5 oz/yd cuben 50" x 84" to use specifically on shelter floors. That size weighs 1.9 oz. I do not use a footprint.
    That is the advantage of cuben and polycro and other lightweight footprints. They are very light, disposable, and they make a huge difference on shelter floors.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    One advantage a footprint has is that it's just a single sheet of material, which is easy to hang up and dry in the breeze if the weather cooperates for a few minutes. Drying a tent is a harder job.
    That was my experience with rain and such. The tent ended up dry, the polycro footprint dried out very, very fast.

I've worn out one tent since then. The guy lines started ripping away from the canopy, but the floor was pristine. I've learned how to choose good tent sites and keep dry in a wet tent with no extra pack weight.
    I wonder if your experience can be generalized to those who hike in areas where one must either be on a gravel-filled tent pad (frontcountry) or hard-packed dirt established backcountry sites (that are sometimes required locations). Setting up on duff sounds great; not sure it is an option that often for some of us. Save for the leaf-gathering idea.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    I wonder if your experience can be generalized to those who hike in areas where one must either be on a gravel-filled tent pad (frontcountry) or hard-packed dirt established backcountry sites (that are sometimes required locations). Setting up on duff sounds great; not sure it is an option that often for some of us. Save for the leaf-gathering idea.
    That tent lived a rough life, over 7000 miles worth, including thru-hikes of the CDT, AZT, PNT, and AT. Lots of rocky tundra and desert, including the Sonoran Desert which you have to see to believe the aggressiveness of the prickly plants (two wet seasons). The silnylon floor from Tarptent just lived forever. The only place I saw much duff was on the AT, and a welcome sight that was.
    My tent drying experience is based on a single wall silnylon tent. It's very easy, just a few minutes of sun and wind, not much more involved than drying a single sheet. Adding a 4+ oz footprint (mine was 6 oz of Tyvek, as I recall) to a 24 oz tent makes little sense to me.

Images

I read an article in Outdoor Life or such in the early 70's, and it talked about putting the groundsheet in the tent not below it. If you did, you would never get wet from below unless you pitched your tent in a depression/bowl, and the depression filled with water. I'm older at 57. I've completely worn out 7 backpacking tents through the years, but have also been a hammock and tarp camper. None of my tents have ever had issues with wear on the tent floors, and I have always put my groundcloth in the tent. I have never gotten wet from below with this method. I have seen plenty of rain through the years, as western North Carolina and the Great Smoky Mountains are the places I have backpacked the most. I really don't give a damn about the tent, I care about me. The issue is, if you put your groundcloth below your tent, and water gets between the groundcloth and the tent floor in a heavy downpour, etc., the water is trapped and will come through the floors of most tents. If your sleeping on a short pad etc, you are now going to get wet, not good if your using a goose down bag. However, if the groundcloth is in the tent and water gets below the tent and penetrates the floor, it will not penetrate the groundcloth, and you are dry. I like to cut the groundcloth a little larger than the tent floor so it comes up the walls inside the tent slightly if a very heavy rain causes water to flow. As we all know, the key is tent sight selection. With some basic common sense here, you will not have wear issues with the bottom of your tent while putting the groundcloth in the tent. If you did happen to tear/puncture your tent floor for some reason while placing the groundcloth in the tent, this would be easily repaired, and not as critical as a tear/puncture in the top area of the tent. This would likely only be an issue if you are using a tent with very lightweight materials for the tent floors. Mud etc. that gets on the bottoms of tents will brush off once dry. 1 mil plastic painters tarp is about as thin as you can go with plastic. I have found that polycro is crinkly/somewhat loud and has a tendency to tear lengthwise. As such, I think the slight weight penalty of the 1 mil. plastic over the poly cro is worth it for wear and tear. Yes, we are talking an oz to 1.6 oz for the weight of the tarp, but this is a safety issue for me, as I know I will not get wet. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember camping/backpacking as a boy in canvas tents with no floors or mosquito netting. The bugs were very happy. :-) The canvas tent alone weight significantly more than my current base weight.

The purpose of a footprint is for the vendor to make obscene profits by convincing customers that they are necessary. They aren't. They aren't even desirable for backpacking. Car camping, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    The purpose of a footprint is for the vendor to make obscene profits by convincing customers that they are necessary. They aren't. They aren't even desirable for backpacking. Car camping, maybe.
    Beat me to it.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Why would they even be "maybe" desirable for car camping, if they're intended by "the vendor to make obscene profits by convincing customers that they are necessary" ?

Anyway, seems to me the two 2 justifications are:
    - (if under tent) wearing a hole in a footprint does less damage (financially) than wearing a hole in a tent floor. Just replace the footprint.
    - (if inside tent) keeps water that infiltrated tent floor from getting your stuff wet.

Clearly, double footprints are needed - one inside, one outside. Maybe carry a spare, too.

Some people say that carrying the extra 3-4 ounces that a ground sheet weighs is too big a weight penalty. I wonder how many of them are carrying a pound of electronics (20,000 mah charger, Kindle, etc.) that others find of little utility. It is all in what you find value in.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Some people say that carrying the extra 3-4 ounces that a ground sheet weighs is too big a weight penalty. I wonder how many of them are carrying a pound of electronics (20,000 mah charger, Kindle, etc.) that others find of little utility. It is all in what you find value in.
    Yep, you're right, and I'm kinda one of them... 13 (not 16) ounces of electronics equates to a bomber navigation device, kindle app reader, audible book device, fantastic camera, music player and very occasional communication device to touch base with loved ones, not to mention a possible emergency device, all done with one little thin phone + backup battery.

Compare that to 3-8 ounces of a essentially useless piece of nylon/tyvek/whatever. There is fantastic value in carrying a smart phone (and using it, er, smartly). No extra value whatsoever in the sheet, except a false "peace of mind".

Images

Rob,
    You carry what you want and I’ll carry what I want! It’s all good. HYOH, but your “false peace of mind comment” is only your opinion of what has value and what does not. Have a great day!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    Rob,
    You carry what you want and I’ll carry what I want! It’s all good. HYOH, but your “false peace of mind comment” is only your opinion of what has value and what does not. Have a great day!
    Agree on all points! I take it for granted that everything everyone says on here, unless it's an objective fact, is their own opinion, I feel no need to say so, perhaps it's more polite on forums to always say "in my humble opinion". Furthermore, upon further reflection, "peace of mind" actually has good value, especially on the trail. Peace and good day to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    . . . upon further reflection, "peace of mind" actually has good value, especially on the trail. . .
    And, as we all "carry our fears" peace of mind is heavier for some of us than others of us. HYOH.

Packing List:
    - All the minimal basics = 5 to 10 lbs
    - The extra stuff for peace of mind = 0 to 50 lbs

What's your base weight, and if you care, what can you do to reduce the most reducible weight, your fears?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++