WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Stoves/cookware

Default Stoves/cookware

Wanted to get some opinions on stoves. I currently have the Jetboil flash that I use. Mainly to just heat up water as I use Mountain house and the like. I have started to dehydrate my food and am experimenting with putting together my own meals. I have been looking at the MinMo cooking system. What I am wondering is has anyone used it for actually cooking in it? Does the food stick, is it easy to clean? My other option in the Pocket rocket with maybe the Snow Peak pot. It would save me weight but I think I would go through more fuel. Any and all inputs appreciated.

I've tried various types of stoves. About a quarter of the way into my thru last year I switched to a jetboil flash lite and never looked back. So easy to use and so quick made the extra weight more than worth it to me. None of the jetboil type stoves will do much more than boil water however. If you are looking for a stove that will simmer then you will need to switch to a different type of stove. As far as I know the MiniMo is made of the same material as the flash so no difference between them as far as sticking or cooking goes. I think they even have the same burner assembly. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I've found the MiniMo to have a very fine flame adjustment, if you needed to simmer then you could. I've read that the regulator for the MiniMo is completely different than the Zips and the other quick-boil variants of the JetBoil. I know I like the shape of the MiniMo better, it is more squat which I find easier to deal with when your spoon isn't that long.

Quote Originally Posted by kingairguy69 View Post
    Wanted to get some opinions on stoves. I currently have the Jetboil flash that I use. Mainly to just heat up water as I use Mountain house and the like. I have started to dehydrate my food and am experimenting with putting together my own meals. I have been looking at the MinMo cooking system. What I am wondering is has anyone used it for actually cooking in it? Does the food stick, is it easy to clean? My other option in the Pocket rocket with maybe the Snow Peak pot. It would save me weight but I think I would go through more fuel. Any and all inputs appreciated.
    MiniMo is easy to use and simmers better than other Jetboil options; easier to eat out of your pot as well; but remains a fairly heavy option. As with other upright canister stoves, winter performance can be problematic depending on how cold it is and what fuel mix you are using (avoid butane in the mix as it gets colder).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

If you're still planning on FBC with your homemade meals, then I would think a small stove, BRS-3000, cozy and a single titanium pot would do the job. I think the jet boil system is a bit expensive and heavy. However I also pack solo and with groups up to 6, so the stove/pot/cozy system is much more flexible.

Based on my actual use weight analysis .... the Titanium Jet Boil is essentially the lightest option FOR ME if the trip is more than 3 cooked dinners. I have specifically compared it to a pocket-rocket with titanium pot, etc, and to an alcohol stove with titanium pot, etc. ... By far the lightest w/o fuel is the alcohol stove, but since I use about 1oz of alcohol per day it quickly outpaces the jetboil in terms of weight. I use about 1.2 oz of fuel for 6 dinners with the Jet Boil. The pocket rocket with pot isn't enough lighter than the jetboil to make up the fuel difference either. That said ... the Jet Boil will not simmer ... but I cook full meals in it by bringing to boil twice and using my hat as a cozy for the heat off "simmer". On the other hand the MiniMo simmers beautifully ... but I only use it when I'm cooking for more than one. Also note ... the weight analysis is not based on the JetBoil Flash, rather the JetBoil Sol-Titanium.
    Last edited by Turtle-2013; 08-18-2017 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    Based on my actual use weight analysis .... the Titanium Jet Boil is essentially the lightest option FOR ME if the trip is more than 3 cooked dinners. I have specifically compared it to a pocket-rocket with titanium pot, etc, and to an alcohol stove with titanium pot, etc. ... By far the lightest w/o fuel is the alcohol stove, but since I use about 1oz of alcohol per day it quickly outpaces the jetboil in terms of weight. I use about 1.2 oz of fuel for 6 dinners with the Jet Boil. The pocket rocket with pot isn't enough lighter than the jetboil to make up the fuel difference either. That said ... the Jet Boil will not simmer ... but I cook full meals in it by bringing to boil twice and using my hat as a cozy for the heat off "simmer". On the other hand the MiniMo simmers beautifully ... but I only use it when I'm cooking for more than one. Also note ... the weight analysis is not based on the JetBoil Flash, rather the JetBoil Sol-Titanium.
    Interesting. Apparently I did something right for a change.
    I found a NOS JetBoil Sol at Gander Mountain on their way out. Internet research tells me that the aluminum SOL is significantly heavier, but slightly more efficient in heating performance, than the SOL-TI. No worries. The extra ounce won't bother me.
    I used it for the first time this week. Two cups of water and instant mushroom soup boiled before I could blink. The soup was awesome. Clean up was a snap.
    1.2 ounces of fuel per 6 meals? 18 meals from an MSR 110 gram canister. I can get used to that.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I use an alcohol stove because of the light weight. It is better off for short trips of 2-3 days, because you do not need a lot of fuel. My other option is a pocket rocket. Some pro's and cons of both:
    Pro Con
    Alcohol Lightweight Uses a lot of fuel to heat up
    Small space Cannot see flame during daytime
    Effected by wind easily
    Long boil time - 3 cups takes 7-8 min

Pocket rocket
    Quick boil time 4-5 min Heavy, bulky fuel can.
    Hold up well in wind Heavy cook system.
    Fuel will last very long
    if used correctly
    Fuel can offers stable platform for pot.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The older JetBoil systems (Zip, Flash, SOL) come with a stove that is pretty much either 'ON' or 'OFF'... there is only a 1/4 turn of the control knob between fully on and off.
    The new Mo systems come with a stove that is supposed to work better in cold conditions and has a wide range of flame levels such that you can now simmer with these new stoves.

I had previously purchased an aluminum SOL system, but for a JMT thru I did, I wanted the simmer ability of the MiniMo. Got lucky and found a discounted MiniMo (apparently no one wanted to buy the ones with the camo cozy) that the whole system cost me what I would have spent to buy just the stove from JetBoil. The stove is still the same size, so what I did was combine the lighter SOL pot with the new MiniMo stove. This is essentially what the new MicroMo system is.

I always cot and clean my pots. I don't find it any easier or difficult to clean any of them. I use an MSR Titan Kettle for solo-weekend hikes with the SnowPeak MaxLite. While the maxlite has the same "deployed" dimensions as the pocket rocket, I find the pots to feel more stable on the MaxLite because the pot is supported by three arms that lay flat. The pocket rocket supports the pot on three points leaving it easier to tip over, a little less stable than the maxlite. The MaxLite also folds much smaller than the pocket rocket. So anyone thinking about the pocketrocket, I would suggest spending the money to 'upgrade' to the MaxLite.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The older JetBoil systems (Zip, Flash, SOL) come with a stove that is pretty much either 'ON' or 'OFF'... there is only a 1/4 turn of the control knob between fully on and off.
    The new Mo systems come with a stove that is supposed to work better in cold conditions and has a wide range of flame levels such that you can now simmer with these new stoves.

I had previously purchased an aluminum SOL system, but for a JMT thru I did, I wanted the simmer ability of the MiniMo. Got lucky and found a discounted MiniMo (apparently no one wanted to buy the ones with the camo cozy) that the whole system cost me what I would have spent to buy just the stove from JetBoil. The stove is still the same size, so what I did was combine the lighter SOL pot with the new MiniMo stove. This is essentially what the new MicroMo system is.

I always cot and clean my pots. I don't find it any easier or difficult to clean any of them. I use an MSR Titan Kettle for solo-weekend hikes with the SnowPeak MaxLite. While the maxlite has the same "deployed" dimensions as the pocket rocket, I find the pots to feel more stable on the MaxLite because the pot is supported by three arms that lay flat. The pocket rocket supports the pot on three points leaving it easier to tip over, a little less stable than the maxlite. The MaxLite also folds much smaller than the pocket rocket. So anyone thinking about the pocketrocket, I would suggest spending the money to 'upgrade' to the MaxLite.
    Assume your talking about Litemax....I'm dyslexic also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Assume your talking about Litemax....I'm dyslexic also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea, the LiteMax...

I've got both the pocket rocket and Litemax (and the simmer. lite, jet boil SOL, jet boil MiniMo, and of course the classic shaker jet stove).

I like the LiteMax most for weekend hikes, my hacked MicroMo for extended trips, and I've also used the Simmer Lite (remote cannister stove) when I was doing something for a group, needed a larger pot, and wanted to be able to have a windscreen around the pot.

I know the LiteMax is like 50% more in cost than the pocket eocket... but I think the extra $20 is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Yea, the LiteMax...

I've got both the pocket rocket and Litemax (and the simmer. lite, jet boil SOL, jet boil MiniMo, and of course the classic shaker jet stove).

I like the LiteMax most for weekend hikes, my hacked MicroMo for extended trips, and I've also used the Simmer Lite (remote cannister stove) when I was doing something for a group, needed a larger pot, and wanted to be able to have a windscreen around the pot.

I know the LiteMax is like 50% more in cost than the pocket eocket... but I think the extra $20 is worth it.
    That's quite a collection of stoves. Up to now, ive always sworn by my esbit caldera cone, but I'd be interested in seeing the system weights of each of your stoves?

I've got a BRS-3000. Nice little stove and its amazingly small and light. You really have to crank the one I got down tight to get the gas to flow. Maybe it will loosen up with use. For the money you can't beat it and it makes the pocket rocket look huge.

After owning a gigapower, minimo, BRS, and a pocket rocket. My favorite canister stove is the snow peak litemax. The extra twenty dollars is nothing for a piece for kit that will prob out last you. Seriously, the litemax is an awesome stove.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I've got a BRS-3000. Nice little stove and its amazingly small and light. You really have to crank the one I got down tight to get the gas to flow. Maybe it will loosen up with use. For the money you can't beat it and it makes the pocket rocket look huge.
    I had one. When I switched to a different way of eating and started freeze drying all my own meals I bought a JetBoil MicroMo as I now boil water 3 times daily, sometimes more for hot drinks. I found the time and fuel it took to boil my water was too variable with the BRS, even under "controlled" conditions. I decided the extra weight was worth the knowledge that I would have consistent fuel usage and very fast boil times.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Oh. And you can see the type of stuff I freeze dry by clicking the link in my signature.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I always used a pocket rocket and never had a single issue except i would have liked it to be a little more compact. Now that the pocket rocket 2 is out i have used it maybe 40 times with zero issues and it lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    You may not want to fool with a wood burner, but for longer trips a twig stove (even with backup Esbit for occasional use) can be way lighter than solid or liquid fuel options that require you to carry your fuel. YMMV.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++