WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    For a limited time, yes.
    Many people will premix enough for a couple liters in a 3 ml dropper. Sealed up tight, it lasts at least 24 hrs. In my experience, it will last a couple days that way . But must keep it sealed, and dark, away from uv.
    How do you know it is effective for a few days?

Journal Entries

Because the solution is still bright yellow and smells strongly. If you wait long enough it turns clear white again.

Do you lose some strength with time? Definitely. Does it matter......that depends. I rarely use more than half reccomended amt anyway, because water has low contaminant level, and I might be waiting longer too.

Exception is like CT where cow , sheep, and horses are abundant
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-22-2017 at 11:19.

-

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post
    You know what will really mess up your gut?
    Giardia.
    I can second this - for years I was carrying the aqua mira and seldom using it, after giardia I use it

+1 for bleach, also +1 for just drinking the water out of the ground

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brian.spigel View Post
    Howdy,

So I was on trail a couple weeks ago when an Irish woman came to the shelter where I was eating my dinner. She had apparently never seen Aqua Mira before, so she asked me all about it and I explained how it worked. Then she asked, "But if you put it in your water to kill the bacteria, and then you drink the water, doesn't it kill the (good) bacteria in your gut?"

I had honestly never given that a moment's thought.

Does it?

I know I could ask Aqua Mira, but I would expect some corporate white-washing from them. I'm hoping someone here has science from chemical/medical/public works experience that's relevant.

Thanks.
    It does kill those exact same bacteria in your gut. But then again, those aren't bacteria you want in your gut, so there is that.

Not all anti-bactetials kill all bacteria. You have to match the anti- to the bacteria.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have 3 bottles of Coghlans water purification tablets that takes 30 minutes to kick in. Much lighter than carrying AM and more convenient. It must be an American product as it has a spiel about Federal Law etc. Some of it is written in French. Having seen no Frenchmen dying on the trail it must be effective. Does anyone else use it, and if not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I have 3 bottles of Coghlans water purification tablets that takes 30 minutes to kick in. Much lighter than carrying AM and more convenient. It must be an American product as it has a spiel about Federal Law etc. Some of it is written in French. Having seen no Frenchmen dying on the trail it must be effective. Does anyone else use it, and if not, why not?
    I did a quick search and the Coghlans water puritifcation tablets appear to be iodine based. Iodine is not very effective for Giardia or cryptosporidium. Giardia generally doesnt kill a healthy adult but can make for miserable sickness. Cryptospridium is Giardia on steroids it kicks in quicker and the symptoms are far worse.

Many of those tab type treatments loose efficacy after opening. If the package is opened on one trip they recommend throwing them away and buying a new sealed package.

I have 3 bottles of Coghlans water purification tablets that takes 30 minutes to kick in. Much lighter than carrying AM and more convenient. It must be an American product as it has a spiel about Federal Law etc. Some of it is written in French.
    Coghlan's is an outdoors accessory supplier based in Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) and they sell in the U.S. and Canada (hence the two languages on their packages).

Journal Entries

The advantage of AM is to match usage to water conditions, and $. If just going to add rec. amt, use the tabs.....easier.

Scratching around on the internet, someone stated that chlorine dioxide (Aqua Mira) takes up to four hours to kill Cryptospridium.

I have both AM and the tabs. Also have two filters. Not really keen on bringing one or the other, (Sawyer Mini/Straw) hence looking at my options and for wisdom as I don't have a death wish

Journal Entries

Scratching around on the internet, someone stated that chlorine dioxide (Aqua Mira) takes up to four hours to kill Cryptospridium.
    Yes it do

Nobody worries about crypto

When its likely livestock contaminated water, I filter.

I figure on the CT portions I filtered, (much), I lost an hour per day of hiking time to filtering. I normally go with AM because its so much faster.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-22-2017 at 17:18.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++