WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Busiest times

Images

Default Busiest times

Other than when the thru hikers come thru when would you say is the busiest times for hiking in the NC/VA region? I have noticed August seems kind of empty compared to June & July and that made me wonder when are the busiest months and when are slowest warm months. Obviously I except the cold winter months Nov-Feb to be the slowest.

September. Lovely. October. Gets busy as the leaves turn.
    September 1 - October 15. That's my final answer.
    Bear in mind that I go backpacking so I can find 30 degree mornings, + or - . Some people think that's cold. I think it's on the way to just right.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Maryland and southern PA gets really busy in the fall. There are lots of Scouts, college orientation groups, church groups, etc. doing hikes as soon as it cools down. Weekends can be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Maryland and southern PA gets really busy in the fall. There are lots of Scouts, college orientation groups, church groups, etc. doing hikes as soon as it cools down. Weekends can be crazy.
    I did an October 1st section hike from the north end of SNP to southern PA one year, the trails were pretty much empty. Water was a PITA, many shelters had no nearby water source. A bit cool out but nice fall hiking.

Busy times and busy places. In your area, minus the bubble, busy starts when school lets out on weekends especially long holiday weekends and goes all Summer long until school starts again. Busy places will get it way worse.

I'll be starting off route 64 North Carolina in the beginning of October.

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    I'll be starting off route 64 North Carolina in the beginning of October.
    Great time of year....assume your starting at WSG but if ya got time it's well worth it to start at standing indian campground and take kimsey creep trail up to deep gap then nobo @ AT this way you hit Standing Indian mtn and Albert mountain. Another great camp spot 4 miles up from WSG atop Siler bald....can't wait till fall/winter.....I've never had any crowd issues from mid October thru February in SE......

++ New Posts ++