WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sponsorships

Default Sponsorships

I trust that there is a very expert cumulative wealth of knowledge about everything backpacking on this forum. That is why my team and I are asking you all for assistance with the sponsorship process.

We've got our dream sponsors picked out, gear only, and our back-ups, and back-ups for those. We've got three years of route and gear planning done, and collectively raised more than enough money to do this without sponsorship. That being said, sponsors would be tight to reduce gear cost.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Becoming well known is a start, and you're on your way with Post #1.

Journal Entries

Why would someone give you free stuff to go on vacation?

Explain your logic..

For starters, you'd have to come up with a pitch which proves you are worthy of getting free stuff and how that would benefit the company your asking to sponsor you.

If your just doing another hike of the AT, PCT or other popular trail which 1,000's have done, that could be a hard sell. If your going to a remote and unique location and will be fully documented with professional level video, web site and blog, then you might have a chance.

If you have a blog/website with 10,000 followers and is linked to from 100's of other sites, that's a good selling point since then the sponsor knows you will give their gear a decent amount of exposure.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 08-23-2017 at 12:29.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Still accurate

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-get-sponsored/

TL;DR
    - As Slo said above unless you are doing something unique, good luck with getting sponsorship. Some higher profile charity hikes are the exception. If you are well known outdoors people, you may get some stuff, too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Zacid View Post
    I trust that there is a very expert cumulative wealth of knowledge about everything backpacking on this forum. That is why my team and I are asking you all for assistance with the sponsorship process.

We've got our dream sponsors picked out, gear only, and our back-ups, and back-ups for those. We've got three years of route and gear planning done, and collectively raised more than enough money to do this without sponsorship. That being said, sponsors would be tight to reduce gear cost.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I own a gear company.

And you are?
    And your team is?
    And your trip is?
    And you have what experience (presumably without owning any gear)?
    And you picked out all your gear but would like to use my gear for free instead? Or you can already buy the gear and would just like some money?
    And it took three years so far to look at maps and make up gear lists and (presumably) save up money and you will do this trip when? And you're just seeking sponsors now?

When did "sponsor me to hike because I'm too cheap" become a thing? Spreading like wildfire.

between GoFundMe pages and "unknowns" asking for free stuff. Geesh. Has no one have any pride?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    between GoFundMe pages and "unknowns" asking for free stuff. Geesh. Has no one have any pride?
    Obviously not

And no money either

But dammit, they deserve a vacation too...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Astute! I'm no longer surprised when someone's first post is "What can y'all do for ME?". To me, WB is a mutual support resource for someone to contribute to, to pay their dues, then when they ask for something, they've earned it. Otherwise, I feel as if they think I'm cheap.

My advice? Treat life as a two-way street, not one-way.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I own a gear company.

And you are?
    And your team is?
    And your trip is?
    And you picked out all your gear but would like to use my gear for free instead? Or you can already buy the gear and would just like some money?
    And it took three years so far to look at maps and make up gear lists and (presumably) save up money and you will do this trip when? And you're just seeking sponsors now?
    Actually those are questions that need answered before any can give you advice.

Part of the problem is that most trails have thousands attempting them each year and about one out of ten finishing (I'm rounding off excessively but you get the picture).

Hundreds of people each year ask for sponsors.

Most who ask will not finish.

Most have no special hook.

So to get answers you need to ask a question that lays out the answers to those questions and then asks eho might find that compelling.

Huge part of my millennial generation that thank god my parents detoured me from becoming. "The right to entitlement" and "Gimmi gimmi gimmi" are understatements. If you have the money, then go do whatever it is you want to do! But if ya don't...Keep working!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Astute! I'm no longer surprised when someone's first post is "What can y'all do for ME?". To me, WB is a mutual support resource for someone to contribute to, to pay their dues, then when they ask for something, they've earned it. Otherwise, I feel as if they think I'm cheap.

My advice? Treat life as a two-way street, not one-way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Huge part of my millennial generation that thank god my parents detoured me from becoming. "The right to entitlement" and "Gimmi gimmi gimmi" are understatements. If you have the money, then go do whatever it is you want to do! But if ya don't...Keep working!
    WB is also a really good place to troll people if we're feeling astute.
    I asked questions just to see what the answers might be for my own amusement... beware post #1.

This could have been as entertaining as that Ben kid who had how many gear reviews, advice columns and other tidbits on his upcoming triple crown or whatever long before he had even completed his first day hike.

I think you guys might've already spoiled everyone's fun.

I'll save this thread for Friday night after a few beers.....should be entertaining!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    WB is also a really good place to troll people if we're feeling astute.
    I asked questions just to see what the answers might be for my own amusement... beware post #1.
    This could have been as entertaining as that Ben kid who had how many gear reviews, advice columns and other tidbits on his upcoming triple crown or whatever long before he had even completed his first day hikeI think you guys might've already spoiled everyone's fun.

Hey, Ben was very sincere.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Zacid - Excellent place to start here. As "Just Bill" queried, what are the goals of your expedition? Once we have more details, I'd bet a dollar to a donut there would be more than a few here that would be willing to contribute....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Hey, Ben was very sincere.
    Not to mention eminently entertaining.
    Back on topic:
    Heather Anderson appears to have a food sponsor or 2. After establishing a PCT FKT and public speaking engagements.
    That's the way it usually works. Michael Jordan didn't ask to be sponsored. The sponsors came to him after he established his credentials.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

To what I address do I mail the check?

Ok. If he was sincere, I'm sure he would have made a second post and laid out the information we need to actually give him (or her) advice.

And you are?And your team is?
    And your trip is?

Seriously.

To answer the question, if he or she is legitimate, we actually need answers to those questions. From there people can give Zacid usefull feedback and advice.

Until then, he just looks like a troll.

I'm hoping he actually has some answers and then he can get some real responses.

Hey bronk if if youre sending "checks" ill pm you my paypal info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++