WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Angry Some advice on a pack

So I've done a fare amount of hiking on the AT in NJ, NY, NH, and Maine. I've decided that I'm going to officially section hike it probably starting 2018 but I'm going to need a backpack. I've narrowed it down to the Osprey Atmos and the ULA Catalyst. My current pack weight is about 35 pounds but I'm hoping to shed some of that weight. I'm 49, 5'10" about 195lb and I'm looking for light and comfortable. I've talked to Chris at ULA whom suggested the catalyst vs the circuit and I've tried on the atmos which is insanely comfortable compared to my 20 year old MacPac pursuit. Im leaning towards the catalyst due to its weight and its simple design but would appreciate some feedback on the 2 packs from experienced AT hikers. Thanks

Default Some advice on a pack

I think 35lbs is a bit much to carry in an ultralight pack. The atmos should serve you well. You can shed a little weight by taking the top lid off.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

In the old days I carried a 43# pack... I like to think that the years have taught me wisdom ; )

Now I carry 12# plus food and water ... since I section hike I go light on the food ... so my last 6 day trip I carried 23# including water on the first day ... less of course every day after that.

So my recommendation ... since you ask for it ... is go with the ULA, or other lightweight pack ... and get rid of all the stuff you really don't need.....

Just my two cents

I had atmos and returned it for being too heavy and squeeking like crazy. Zpacks arc haul is much better but more expensive.

As you must know, Osprey packs rule the AT. Besides being widely available, they have good back ventilation. This is an important feature on the hot and humid AT. ULA packs with their full body contact are more suited to low humidity climates like out west. Personally, I can't get used to roll down top and limited individual pockets the ULA and similar designs use.

Anyway, the Catalyst is way too much pack unless your doing deep winter camping or lugging a bear canister. The Ohm is more typical of a AT load sized. If you can't fit all you need into a 63-65 L pack, you got too much stuff - or not the right stuff - or both.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    As you must know, Osprey packs rule the AT. Besides being widely available, they have good back ventilation. This is an important feature on the hot and humid AT. ULA packs with their full body contact are more suited to low humidity climates like out west. Personally, I can't get used to roll down top and limited individual pockets the ULA and similar designs use.

Anyway, the Catalyst is way too much pack unless your doing deep winter camping or lugging a bear canister. The Ohm is more typical of a AT load sized. If you can't fit all you need into a 63-65 L pack, you got too much stuff - or not the right stuff - or both.
    Agree 100%. Take a look at the Osprey Exos series if you can reduce your carry weight enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I had atmos and returned it for being too heavy and squeeking like crazy. Zpacks arc haul is much better but more expensive.
    This is pretty much the path I took as well. I still have an Atmos 50 because it is cadillac comfy, but mostly it collects dust because the arc haul is so much lighter.

I don't know if my gibberish will be of any value to anyone but...

I sweat like mad while hiking, with or without a pack, but without the trampoline type suspension my back overheats to the point of severe irritation and eventual rash.

Our first "modern" pack (as opposed to canvas) was an AT 35 from Bean's. Not the best design and kinda heavy for it's size and use, but we were sold on the suspension. We used this primarily for longer day hikes on the AT for about 2 years.

Realizing the Bean pack was not ideal and too small for multi day backpacking, I spent one whole season trying/buying/returning various packs. I not only needed a pack that would prevent overheating my back, but also one that would accommodate my locked shoulders. Turns out that though shoulder straps may all look very similar, there is considerable difference between them and the comfort level, or lack thereof. I tried out so many packs I'm sure I can't remember them all. Atmos, Ohm 2, Exos, Granit Gear, HMG, Mariposa, Zimmerbuilt, Arc Haul and ...?

Next purchase was an Atmos 65 AG. Really comfortable but on the heavier side. I took the top off. Hate the nearly useless belt pockets. The clam shell effect of the belt makes it a bit of a challenge to get into - every time. It developed a squeak I could never find the source of. These things have so many zippers/pockets that I can never recall where I put stuff. When I had to start tying a knot to keep the belt buckle from slipping, I decided it was time to return it. Not so long after that I wound up buying a used Atmos 50 AG that was in near perfect condition for much less $. It would do till I found whatever it was I was searching for. My wife has the woman's version of the 50L and loves it, except for the squeak.

In the end I chose the arc haul not because it's perfect, but because it had the right combination of comfort for both my back and shoulders. At the time I was able to custom order it with a Mariposa style tall left side pocket, no hydro accommodations. I also like that I can add/remove a few features I want/need at any given trip. I also like the huge belt pockets. Because my shoulders would not allow me to reach water bottles in the side pocket, I made bottle holders that fit on the belt just behind the main pockets. It's worked out great.

My next choice would have been the HMG 3500. While not quite as comfortable overall as the Atmos, the strap shape and placement was perfectly suited for me, even better than the arc haul, perhaps even better than the atmos. I had stopped in at HMG headquarters and spent about 2 hours fiddling with various packs loaded with my own stuff. Really nice and very patient folks at HMG. I darn near ordered one just because they were so accommodating. Well made and comfortable packs. Though there were several minor reasons included (customization's), the major reason I didn't buy one was that nagging back irritation issue. I did not get to try it on the trail, only in their air conditioned facility, so I had no way to accurately judge how it would work for me, except by my own history.

Third choice would be the Zimmerbuilt. The loaner I had was made for someone else and a somewhat different use than I intended. My only purpose in trying this one was to see if the straps were comfortable enough for me as they'll be the same regardless of how the rest of the pack is made. While I found the straps acceptable on a short hike up Mt Tammany, it wasn't in the same league as the atmos or HMG.

I hope that others who have similar hypersensitive issues are few and far between.

Have fun out there!

Hey just a small suggestion , if your liking for lightweight then look for the Osprey Levity pack, available in a 60 and 45l version. These will not be available until Spring 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at ULA's Circuit. A little lighter than the Catalyst but roomier than the Ohm.

Thanks for the advice, it's in line with what I've been thinking and working on.

Wow lots of useful info. Thanks

Anyway, the Catalyst is way too much pack unless your doing deep winter camping or lugging a bear canister. The Ohm is more typical of a AT load sized. If you can't fit all you need into a 63-65 L pack, you got too much stuff - or not the right stuff - or both.[/QUOTE]

Agreed and working on changing out some old and heavier stuff for the lighter stuff. I have already found ways to shave off weight by switching to a lighter cook set up, (pocket rocket vs rapid fire) and sleep pad (z-lite vs a 20 yr old thermarest self inflating pad). My sleeping bag is a bit heavy but will have to do for now due to finances. I'm also probably carrying to much food but I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and have been working on this.

[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;2166508]As you must know, Osprey packs rule the AT. Besides being widely available, they have good back ventilation. This is an important feature on the hot and humid AT. ULA packs with their full body contact are more suited to low humidity climates like out west. Personally, I can't get used to roll down top and limited individual pockets the ULA and similar designs use.

The mac PAC I'm using has NO pockets or zippers at all and I like it that way. It also is right up against my back which is not great around here but I'm used to it. The atmos has a lot of straps, zippers, and pockets that concerned me, more weight and more to potentially give me problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Take a look at ULA's Circuit. A little lighter than the Catalyst but roomier than the Ohm.
    That is what I was looking at initially but my concern is that until I get the weight down to 30 or below pounds, that the pack may not carry the weight.

I love my Osprey Exos 58. Just over 2lbs, about a 40 lb capacity, super cool to wear given the back mesh panel suspension thing, and it has a real frame. I've done some heavy loads with it and it never got sucky.

So wanted o thank everyone for the advice and update you on the pack I went with. While my ultimate goal is going to be to get my pack weight down to a point that I can carry the circuit, IVe decided to go with the catalyst for the time being to make sure I can carry a little extra weight for now. I will also be using this pack for winter backpacking so the extra room will be helpful. Thanks again everyone for all the advice, see you on the trail.

++ New Posts ++