Default Tank tops that play nice with your pack straps

I'm not a fan of t-shirts and prefer wearing long-sleeve shirts and tank tops when I hike, but I've noticed that tank top straps (at least in women's styles) don't provide much coverage for the shoulders/chest/arm area where my Osprey pack straps wrap around. I'll take my pack off and see the mesh pattern etched into my skin, and I'm concerned that this might become a problem on my LT hike. Has anyone discovered a tank that has enough fabric to protect your skin from the straps?

I picked up a new tank at Dick's Sporting Goods that might fit the bill, going to try it out this weekend with a heavy pack. I think the tank straps might still be too narrow though.

I'm wishing I'd kept all the tech t-shirts I've gotten from 5k runs so I could cut them up and make a custom tank, but of course I donated all of them months ago!

download.png

Journal Entries

This is why I don't backpack in a tank top.

Why dont you just go to a thrift store and pick up a few cheap shirts to cut up?

I don't know if one of these would work for you as they're only offered in Men's and Boys' sizes, but I got one and it's worked OK both for wicking perspiration and protecting against pack strap rubbing.

Men'sNavy.jpg

I think the key is to find something that's actually a sleeveless tee to give your shoulders and back protection, even if it's billed as a tank top.

Outfitters like REI and EMS have womens tank tops in both thin and wide straps for pack strap protection.

You could cut the toes off some fluffy socks, then thread the straps through them. I've been tempted to do this, too, because that mesh is uncomfortable on bare skin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++