WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Bearikade Expedition worked really well for my JMT thru.

I stored my sleeping bag and cloths in the bottom of an Osprey Volt with the Bearikade sitting upright on top of that. Sleeping pad, stove, and other small gear fit around the bearikade with tent lashed to the bottom.
    The zipper pocket under the hood of the pack was the perfect place to store a coin to open the canister. It allowed me to stop during the day for lunch and access my food without removing the bearikade from the pack.

Because of its ease of use, I could easily understand someone wanting to use a Bearikade on the AT or other places to make is really simple to not only keep your food safe from bears without worrying about hanging your food but just keeping it safe from critters. Perhaps the only reason I didn't hang on to the Bearikade I bought for the trip was because most my camping is in GSMNP where every campsite has bear cables and I don't have to worry about figuring out how to hang food to keep it safe.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    You can put me in that hardly any category, and I think I qualify as experienced, with 2+ LT E2E's and the Adirondack 46. I started using a BV because I spent so much time in the Adirondacks where they're required..
    DEC still is recommending AGAINST the BV in the Eastern High Peaks. Sure, Yellow-Yellow (the bear that learnt how to open a BearVault) was made into stew a few years back, but apparently she taught her cubs the trick. I think that any hard-sided container (that is, not an Ursack) manufactured for the purpose (that is, not a paint bucket or ammo can) is lawful, because they can't regulate against a manufacturer by name, but it's probably not the best choice.

I think there may be a Bearikade in my future. I've rented a Garcia keg and don't care for them.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    After years if hanging or sleeping with my food, I decided to give a BV500 a try, and I so far I like it. It works well with my gear setup and fits vertically in my pack right next to my sleeping bag. It's dead simple to just take it out of my bag any time I stop to take a break and I no longer have to worry about squirrels or other scuttle-beasts if I walk away from my food for a moment. It's less work than hanging my food and much less work than keeping it attended all the time. It does add about a pound and a half to my setup (the weight was slightly offset by no longer carrying a food bag, line, etc) but on my last 4 day trip my pack was still under 24lbs including food and water, so I'm fine with that. Do I think a canister is really needed on the A.T.? No. However I'm finding it to be a method that is convenient based in how I hike.

Other comments:
    At night I would just place it upright in a low lying area a short distance from the my tent.

It's important to note that the BV canisters' lid does not have an o-ring, so it needs to be placed upright in order to be rain proof.

As to your other question, I very rarely encounter ant problems in the A.T., so I can't speak to that.
    The day will come where they will be required in problem areas. Already are in some off-AT eastern areas. Too many people.

I agree, 2 lb doesnt make a difference by itself. On jmt I had 9.5 lb base even with 2 lb cannister. Could have been 1/2 lb less too. I wouldnt shed any tears if required everywhere. people would just leave some of their useless crap behind. Gear today is lighter than 30 yrs ago...shouldnt be a problem.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-31-2017 at 11:39.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    ... they can't regulate against a manufacturer by name...
    ??????????????
    That statement doesn't make any sense... because places like YNP are effectively doing exactly that by providing a list of approved canisters by manufacturer and model number that you are allowed to use.

Is there any reason to still hang the bear canister?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    ??????????????
    That statement doesn't make any sense... because places like YNP are effectively doing exactly that by providing a list of approved canisters by manufacturer and model number that you are allowed to use.
    The list is informative - any canister that passes the IABC tests is on it. They simply prescribe a test that a canister has to pass.

BV500 passes the tests, it just doesn't stand up to actual Adirondack bears.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelbear View Post
    Is there any reason to still hang the bear canister?
    You do not want to hang a bear canister, or tie anything to it. Canisters are designed in a way that prevents bears from getting enough of grip on them to cause damage. If a rope or anything else is attached tightly, it can give a bear enough additional grip and leverage to break through the canister.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

You do not want to hang a bear canister, or tie anything to it. Canisters are designed in a way that prevents bears from getting enough of grip on them to cause damage. If a rope or anything else is attached tightly, it can give a bear enough additional grip and leverage to break through the canister.
    Or to carry it away.

They arent fortresses

They work long enough for you to drive bear away

After years if hanging or sleeping with my food, I decided to give a BV500 a try, and I so far I like it. It works well with my gear setup and fits vertically in my pack right next to my sleeping bag. It's dead simple to just take it out of my bag any time I stop to take a break and I no longer have to worry about squirrels or other scuttle-beasts if I walk away from my food for a moment. It's less work than hanging my food and much less work than keeping it attended all the time. It does add about a pound and a half to my setup (the weight was slightly offset by no longer carrying a food bag, line, etc) but on my last 4 day trip my pack was still under 24lbs including food and water, so I'm fine with that. Do I think a canister is really needed on the A.T.? No. However I'm finding it to be a method that is convenient based in how I hike.

Other comments:
    At night I would just place it upright in a low lying area a short distance from the my tent.

It's important to note that the BV canisters' lid does not have an o-ring, so it needs to be placed upright in order to be rain proof.

As to your other question, I very rarely encounter ant problems in the A.T., so I can't speak to that.
    Great points Sarcasm....I believe the positives very much outweigh the negatives. The more I research this, the more I'm leaning towards the Bearikade. I like its design better and believe it would hold up nicer if a bear started playing with it and/or biting it. Looking at my pack, I think it would fit nicely vertical like you said....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    The list is informative - any canister that passes the IABC tests is on it. ...
    No, approved lists are not simply "informative".

Check out the Yellowstone National Park web page on Bear-Resistant Food Storage Containers. It explicitly states
    Not all containers approved by the IGBC are approved for use in Yellowstone's backcountry. Containers that are not listed on this document are not allowed for food storage.
    Check out the Yosemite National Park web page and they too list specific containers that are allowed, and their list is different from Yellowstone.

On that subject, I find it interesting that the Bearikade is NOT IGBC approved, yet Yosemite allows it and Yellowstone does not.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-31-2017 at 14:24.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    I have a BV500 and I like it. I've used it on the AT and on other trails.
    basically, everything that has a smell to it needs to either be hung or put in a bear canister
    I don't think they make a bear vault big enough to stuff a hiker into it.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

No, approved lists are not simply "informative".
    Check out the Yellowstone National Park web page on Bear-Resistant Food Storage Containers. It explicitly states
    Check out the Yosemite National Park web page and they too list specific containers that are allowed, and their list is different from Yellowstone.
    On that subject, I find it interesting that the Bearikade is NOT IGBC approved, yet Yosemite allows it and Yellowstone does not.
    OK, then it's perhaps that NYSDEC lacks the authority (or thinks it lacks the authority) to designate specific vendors in its regulations. It's operating under State law, not Federal, after all.

ADK surely warns that the BearVault is less than effective.

Journal Entries

Well, if one thinks about it for a few sec,
    Theres no grizzly in Yosemite, but there is in Yellowstone
    So it makes perfect sense

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    I don't think they make a bear vault big enough to stuff a hiker into it.
    Hahahahahah!!! You don't even know me, yet you say that I smell??? It was so bad on my section in July that I could smell myself. It was so discusting! I can't imagine how a bear or anyone/anything else might want to get close and personal. But you have a point... It happens. Fortunately, it's rare.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Well, if one thinks about it for a few sec,
    Theres no grizzly in Yosemite, but there is in Yellowstone
    So it makes perfect sense
    I seem to recall reading that there used to be two bear canister certification organizations... one that certified against black bears and another (IGBC) that certified against grizzlies. But today, only the IGBC remains. So if you want your bear canister to get certified by an organization that is pretty much universally recognized, you've got to certification from IGBC.

So the reason I find it interesting that Yosemite approves the Bearikade isn't that it's not tested against grizzlies, but that it isn't certified by an recognized bear canister testing organization.

But to your point... the Bearikade website claims that it was tested against bears back in 2000... so if that other organization I was talking about is the group that tested the Bearikade back in 2000, I could see how Yosemite would effectively "grandfather" the approval from the old and now disbanded organization that tested against black bears.

I contrast, I don't think any other manufacturer could get Yosemite to approve a new canister that hasn't met IGBC certification... not because they want something grizzly proof... but because IGBC is the only game in town.

Journal Entries

Its very important for users to realize, that cannisters are largely successfull, because they arent challenged much by bears. The whole premise is that bears will quickly learn they cannot get the food inside, and not even try.

Black bears have done the following to IGBC "approved" cannisters:

Opened lid
    Smashed by dropping off cliff
    Chewed holes

Testing is only ONE indication if there is a resonable chance of success from a 1 hr long attack. It is not a definitive determination, obviously. In fact, to call it a test is quite generous. They allow bears to play with it. Well fed captive bears. What bears do, is random. May differ test to test

If I recall, the bearikade issue is that grizzly weight can be large enough to deform the lid.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-01-2017 at 05:19.

Alternative uses for BV500-Stool,campfire bucket,ultralight washing machine,Pop Tart protector.It's all about the Pop Tarts my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Alternative uses for BV500-Stool,campfire bucket,ultralight washing machine,Pop Tart protector.It's all about the Pop Tarts my friends!
    Pls clarify the camp fire bucket idea before some dumb arse builds a fire inside of it.....another option is fill with fire flies and you have a lantern/disco ball for your tent....think I'll stick with my food bag pillow....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

More possible uses:

IMG_0308.PNG
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

In areas where required, your food thats not in container, is required to be in arms reach. Ie, in your possesion.

It makes using container for things like wash basin or fire-putter-outer kind of difficult

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++