WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What to do with old equipment?

When cleaning out the shed, It dawned on me just how many old packs I have. They are all in good, serviceable condition, but I've not used them in years. If I try to sell them, how would I determine the price? I could donate them to Goodwill or something.

I sitting here starting at a monster Camp Trails Rainier from the 90's. It still looks new and must be 80l at least. Who would want something like that nowdays?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    When cleaning out the shed, It dawned on me just how many old packs I have. They are all in good, serviceable condition, but I've not used them in years. If I try to sell them, how would I determine the price? I could donate them to Goodwill or something.

I sitting here starting at a monster Camp Trails Rainier from the 90's. It still looks new and must be 80l at least. Who would want something like that nowdays?

Boy Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    Boy Scouts
    Tried that with another pack I had, a never used High Sierra Hawk 45. They just weren't interested which blew me away. When I was a Scout, I had nothing but hand me downs. I guess everyone around here is just more affluent these days.

Used to be a company called Gear to Grow that was a non profit in which many companies donated the returns to...not sure if still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

When I have newer equipment, I sell it on this website or Bearfoot's Hiking Gear (a Facebook group). I also check eBay completed sales to try to determine value. I sold an old external pack 2 years ago for $30 or $40 or so.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Used to be a company called Gear to Grow that was a non profit in which many companies donated the returns to...not sure if still around.
    Their website now shows up with Japanese characters which translated discuss hair removal. I'd say they're not doing the same work anymore, unfortunately.

I volunteer with a newer Boy Scout troop and I can vouch the need is real. Older troops with years of past scouts donating, not so much, though we are thankful for the donations from those troops cast offs. Two patrol boxes, pots and pans for base camping and even a beat up trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    I volunteer with a newer Boy Scout troop and I can vouch the need is real. Older troops with years of past scouts donating, not so much, though we are thankful for the donations from those troops cast offs. Two patrol boxes, pots and pans for base camping and even a beat up trailer!
    Hmmm, any need for family style tents? I have a couple of 4 person and a honking huge 10x17 three room Hillary tent from Sears. If your troop needs it and we can work something out to cover shipping from Tennessee, I'll gladly donate it. That would be packs and tents, might have a couple of decentish bags too.

Bet shipping would be murder though. That big tent probably weighs 45lbs on its own.

How many packs do you have? We have a fledgling outdoor club starting up at a couple of our local schools. I'm about 4 hours north of you, might be able to meet part way?

I can imagine donating is a funny thing. I also, am a scouter (adult boy scout volunteer).
    My experience a large number of scout units.... a majority likely..... aren't really backpacking oriented at all.
    Some troops, like ours mostly just let the scouts supply all their own personal gear....except for the patrol camp kitchen stuff. I understand some troops maintain more of a gear locker and supply stuff for the troop.
    Anyway, I can imagine many units would turn it down, some may take it even though the don't have a need or even really know how to deal with it.... others may take it happily. Too bad it would be so much work to give stuff away to someone that would really appreciate it!

Our unit only recently did an equipment auction as a fundraiser. There was a bunch of old tents and a few packs (one brand new with tags) along with some other stoves and misc stuff.... I didn't even know we had this stuff till it was "on the block".... I think much of it was collected as donations over the years and nobody ever used it.

Anyway, if you really want to pursue this angle...I think the thing to do would be to contact the main BSA council office in your area and put it to them. They would likely take it or point you to a unit that would..... venturing units may be more likely than Boy Scout Troops.

Anyway, what I would do?
    If I couldn't find a gratefull scout troop without too much trouble going out of my way, I think I would post at least the better stuff up on ebay. You an do a little searching around on ebay for similar stuff...and search sold stuff too...to get an idea of pricing. You can either sell by asking price, take offers, or by auction. For auction you can set minimums if you want to get at least a certain amount...

I'm doing most of my longer hikes in the Middle East deserts, and the locals there totally lack of any modern equipment.
    When I ever asked them if I could help them in any way, they asked for shoes, backpacks,, sleepingbags/-pads, wind jackets, phone batteries etc.

So now when planning a trip down there, I ask around my friends and hiking buddies for any used, but still usable stuff of this kind, and bring them.

You might find a way to hand over some of your stuff to people in the poor countries in the south?

Hmmm, any need for family style tents? I have a couple of 4 person and a honking huge 10x17 three room Hillary tent from Sears. If your troop needs it and we can work something out to cover shipping from Tennessee, I'll gladly donate it. That would be packs and tents, might have a couple of decentish bags too.

Bet shipping would be murder though. That big tent probably weighs 45lbs on its own.
    What our troop needs is a pool of loaner gear for new scouts. I think most troops build up a supply eventually with older scouts outgrowing gear and donating it back.

If you have packs, sleeping pads, or sleeping bags appropriate for youth please let me know and I'll see if we can cover shipping. Our troop backpacks, so any gear would need to be something that a 11 to 13 year old could backpack with.

That being said, it sounds like you have a group near you that could really use your gear, and I'd encourage you to help a neighbor over some group far flung. Charity begins at home, as they say.

Thanks no matter what for thinking about donations at all.

Another note, I just now read the post above by Leo, and my closing comments were not meant to discourage donating to needy people in other countries. It was just an expression. Sorry Leo!

Tried that with another pack I had, a never used High Sierra Hawk 45. They just weren't interested which blew me away. When I was a Scout, I had nothing but hand me downs. I guess everyone around here is just more affluent these days.
    I think thats a great idea to donate old gear to Scouts. There are more than just the local Scout troop near you, there will be a regional office and a national office that can help take your offer to the most needy troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    ...Sorry Leo!
    Thats very OK!

About donating to local people here at home, I've had to learn the hard way that its me who seems to be on the lowest, poorest end of line here.
    Its me who is thankfully receiving old stuff, and I have yet to find anybody who is willing to take some of my surplus.
    There was only one exception, when our kids were at an age when old US Army surplus was en vogue and they thankfully took the two old army bags I had.

I have given to local groups, posted on a meetup forum where there's lots of new backpackers, or just put it free online (kijiji here, but think that's just Canada?). Stuff usually goes within a couple days
    I love when the gear gets to enthusiastic backpackers that have limited money for the initial gear purchases

Pass it forward.

REI will take it off your hands check web site for how too.

I like the donate idea.

If you choose a different route though, I would pay you for one.

Images

I also say Scouts! Check with your local Council office. They will know which troops are more backpacking oriented. Our troop has a closet full of loaner gear for the first-year Scouts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++