WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AT, bears and guns?

Since firearms are now legal while hiking I am curious to know if there have been any incidents where any people or bears have been shot.
    Either defensively or offensively.

What makes you think firearms are legal in NY, CT, or MA?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    What makes you think firearms are legal in NY, CT, or MA?
    Valid point. On a state level they might not be but on a federal level they are. But seeing as how I am in Florida that isn't much of a concern for me.
    I don't want to argue if they are a good or bad idea, I am just curious if there have been any known incidents where a firearm was used in defense or offense on they trail. The only one I have heard of was the local who went out and murdered a few hikers.

I have searched and searched and so far not found someone who explained how they discharged a firearm on the AT to their advantage. I do own a gun and have no issues with people who carry. It just seems unnecessary on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    I have searched and searched and so far not found someone who explained how they discharged a firearm on the AT to their advantage.
    For a bear, I understand the discharge part. For two-legged attackers, just showing the firearm is usually adequate defense; discharge isn't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Since firearms are now legal while hiking I am curious to know if there have been any incidents where any people or bears have been shot.
    Either defensively or offensively.
    No, I haven't heard of any hiker on the AT using a gun offensively or defensively against bears or humans.

The two bear "attacks" I have heard of in the past recent years were in or near the Smokies where the bear population is quite dense and several of the MILLIONS of hikers (day, section, and thru) have done their part in leaving food around or leaving food behind, in essence teaching bears to associate hikers with food.
    The guy who was killed from a hammock (iirc) 4 or 5 ish years back, and the guy who was bitten while in his tent a year and a half ago are the two bear "attacks" I'm aware of. In either case, would a firearm have been helpful? Depends on how/ where it was kept while sleeping. Would it have been safe to discharge a firearm in either of those situations, not knowing where other campers may have been at that time? No. It wouldn't have been safe for others.

A friend of mine had problems with a black bear getting into his trash can inside his carport. He threw a pack of firecrackers near it when he caught it in the act, and that bear didn't come back for months. Because of this, I believe that a bear that may be acting aggressively would be discouraged and scared away with the noise of a few shots fired in a safe direction. Or firecrackers...if you can carry them in a way that you access them, light and toss away within a few seconds.

Have firearms been used to deter a 2 legged animal from committing a crime on the AT? Not that I have heard - but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
    Last edited by Alligator; 08-27-2017 at 20:48. Reason: Remainder of post drifted beyond initial question.

This is what I was finding googling the question. Could find out about 11 murders on the trail, some involving guns but nothing about bear or personal defense. Also seemed the criminals involved were not hikers but thugs that were "working" the trail.
    So do these incidents just not happen or are they unreported?
    Anyway, thanks for the answers.

Images

The OP asked about guns and bears. To answer that not just no but he11 no. I do not understand how Americans have developed such an irrational fear of bears.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    The OP asked about guns and bears. To answer that not just no but he11 no. I do not understand how Americans have developed such an irrational fear of bears.
    Hollywood...

To answer the OP's question: I know one person who used a gun for self defense from a person on the AT in Virginia and one person who used a gun for defense against a bear in Pisgah. No persons or animals killed in either incident, FWIW.

Now, back to the purse swinging...

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    This is what I was finding googling the question. Could find out about 11 murders on the trail, some involving guns but nothing about bear or personal defense. Also seemed the criminals involved were not hikers but thugs that were "working" the trail.
    So do these incidents just not happen or are they unreported?
    Anyway, thanks for the answers.
    Unless someone dies, I don't think many are covered in the press at all.

I imagine if you talk to attack victims you'd find it pretty futile to convince them that fearing bears is irrational.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Only read articles of handgun vs. bears in MT and AK. Some have actually killed grizzlies & moose w/ .45.
    Last edited by Alligator; 08-27-2017 at 20:54. Reason: Not SF enough.
    Be Prepared

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I imagine if you talk to attack victims you'd find it pretty futile to convince them that fearing bears is irrational.
    When I find one maybe you will be right. There are so few REAL bear incidents that we will never know. Irrational fear.

Images

Also, according to the internet which has to be right, we average three bear fatalities per year but 90 deaths due to lighting. Perhaps a gun would put you more at risk due to the metal content and risk of lightning strikes.

Thread moved to Straight Forward. Straight shooters only from here on out.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

When I find one maybe you will be right. There are so few REAL bear incidents that we will never know. Irrational fear.
    ^ This.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

It’s not like they haven’t happened.

It’s not like they haven’t happened.
    Cite directly in light of the OP's question or move on.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Cite directly in light of the OP's question or move on.
    Sorry, should have quoted above. I was responding Malto’s point to the notion of bear attacks. Rare but not like they haven’t happened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++