WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2 Night MA hike? Greylock? This wknd

Looking for some advice on a 2 night hike in MA. Was hoping to do 10-14mi per day and want to be near the car on the third morning (no more than a few miles), since we have a looong drive home. However not knowing any other MA hikes that fit our time/mileage max, I was thinking starting at the north end of Greylock by the community center parking and hiking SOBO to Mark Noepel for night 1. That's only 8.5 miles but a tough climb up so i'm ok with the mileage (if we're going to be exhasuted given the terrain). Day 2 Hike down to Crystal Mountain campsite for night 2. Again, only about 8.5mi and I heard that stretch is boring. So that would leave only 3.7 miles to Dalton on the 3rd morning, hopefully where we will have left our car beforehand (will need to find a shuttle to take us to the start point).

Is this going to be a lopsided hike--is there a better 2 night point-to-point you can recommend--or a loop? Oh, and we're going this weekend!

Thanks for your advice!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jESQa View Post
    Looking for some advice on a 2 night hike in MA. Was hoping to do 10-14mi per day and want to be near the car on the third morning (no more than a few miles), since we have a looong drive home. However not knowing any other MA hikes that fit our time/mileage max, I was thinking starting at the north end of Greylock by the community center parking and hiking SOBO to Mark Noepel for night 1. That's only 8.5 miles but a tough climb up so i'm ok with the mileage (if we're going to be exhasuted given the terrain). Day 2 Hike down to Crystal Mountain campsite for night 2. Again, only about 8.5mi and I heard that stretch is boring. So that would leave only 3.7 miles to Dalton on the 3rd morning, hopefully where we will have left our car beforehand (will need to find a shuttle to take us to the start point).

Is this going to be a lopsided hike--is there a better 2 night point-to-point you can recommend--or a loop? Oh, and we're going this weekend!

Thanks for your advice!!
    aside from the climb up greylock thats an easy hike and doable in 2 days. i did it in basically a day and a half.

i would also consider benington to manchester a bit further north. that would be a better 3 day hike

The AT is a linear trail so there are very few places where a loop is possible.

The climb up Greylock from the north is relatively steep. It's easier coming from the south, so you might want to turn the hike around.

Dalton to the Mark Noepel shelter is pretty easy and you can stop in Cheshire for lunch at the ice cream/hot dog place you walk right by. Mark Noepel to Wilbur clearing shelter is only 6.3 miles, but that allows you to sleep in and have a late start and hang around the summit of Greylock for a while. Then it's a pretty quick decent to the road the next morning. Better check the weather forecast, Sat looks good, but Fri/Sun may not be.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

^ awesome, thank you!
    Btw, did the Mt. Glastenbury loop in VT last Fall. Great one nighter.

++ New Posts ++