WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
    I don't mind watching the things I'm cooking. Heck, things will stick to even good surfaces if you don't keep an eye on things. My concern with titanium is I just heard it doesn't cook well, in comparison to something like the anodized aluminum pots. I don't mind carrying a few more ounces if that helps with lowering the cooking times...or the needed cleanup times afterwards.
    Titanium is notorious for uneven heat distribution and burning food. Stick with anodized aluminum. The Optimus crux fits nicely in the xts nested in the hollow under a fuel canister. Or grab one of those brs 3000 Stoves. If you're just boiling water titanium is fine but I hate cooking with it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Pro tip: Go ahead and get the Sno Peak Trek 900.....titanium & plenty of volume; fits almost all stove supports.....only 50 bucks or so.....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

You've pretty much described my hole grail of cooking pot, though I wouldn't need a volume that big.
    I thru-hiked last year with a Optimus Terra Weekend pot. Mine is about a decade old and they've redesigned it since with a much larger lid/mug which I don't care for - I would have liked a low-weight plastic flat lid since I have no use for a separate mug. Lid issue aside, it's held up great, has liter graduations on the side, fuel canister nests nicely, etc. Good pot.

I did notice this guy's products which might also fit the bill. I haven't purchased one. I'm not crazy about the super-tight lid but then again that would prevent rattling in your pack. Made in the USA which is a big plus for me. http://fourdog.com/1-1-liter-bush-pot-hard-anodized/
    LT '15, AT '16

With very thin pots, whether Ti or Al, you're going to burn stuff when using a stove with a tiny burner head. The issue is that there is not enough metal mass to absorb and disperse the heat. This is why the heavier Al pots tend not to burn food as easily.

An alternate strategy would be to use a very light Ti pot with an aluminum or steel disk to put between the pot and flame. If you're going to carry extra weight, might as well put it where it's going to do the most good.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    An alternate strategy would be to use a very light Ti pot with an aluminum or steel disk to put between the pot and flame. If you're going to carry extra weight, might as well put it where it's going to do the most good.
    So...using a Al or steel diffuser under the Ti pot...it going to help distribute to be more even on the bottom? I did a quick check and see that there are also people selling Ti diffusers for weight savings too. I understand the concept of a diffuser...but doesn't a Ti diffuser just have the same problem as a Ti pot already had with concentrating the heat at specific spots?

See THIS.

Back when I was occasionally cooking (I only boil water now!) I used a ScorchBuster without the riser bar and put 3 small pebbles on the top to create a bit more space between the metal disk and the pot. Worked very well. You could try something like a big tomato can lid and the pebbles.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Am I too trashy for just using a grease pot from XYZ-Mart? It's about in the target size range, it's cheap, it's light, and I can pour out of it into a freezer bag or coffee filter if I pick it up with a Leatherman Squirt (which I usually carry anyway).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

OK, but can you whip up a delicate lobster bisque in it?

Kidding aside, as I'm pretty sure you know I'm also a dump-hot-water-in-a-bag kinda guy 'cause I'm usually too tired to futz around with food... my motto is "Two steps is one step too many." Those grease pots are some of the most fuel-efficient vessels around due to their low-wide shape.

I even started eating my morning muesli-Nido concoction out of the bag. No more pot clean-up for me, with the side benefit of being much less of a bear magnet.

Mors pot has 2 sizes. Its super light has winged handles and the larger one has a bail. You can get a kit from four dogs for the small one to. Ive had one for years one of my favorite and most used pieces of kit
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I like this Evernew Titanium tea kettle BETTER than the MSR Titan. It's 800 ml and has a wider bottom, which means more of your flame is dispersed to heating the bottom rather than licking the sides of the pot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AZLF19GWB8GKX

That said, I have a an extra brand new Titan Tea Kettle I'm selling that has a small ding in it, having acquired too many pots. I don't post on here enough to sell things, and I'm out of town. I'll try to remember to put it on Gear Trade when I am home in a couple weeks.

Also the Evernew Tea Kettle fits the largest of the fuel canisters with the lid on no problem. It's about $62, around the same as the MSR Titan.

What about a Walmart grease pot...May need to hammer the handle some.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...enser/32263277

Quote Originally Posted by billisnice View Post

The tall and narrow grease pot isn’t the most efficient shape for a pot.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have the Olicamp XTS. It's very nice for the reasons stated above. In addition I add that I like the dimensions which are close to 1:1 height:diameter. For me this is a crucial parameter. Wide pots are favored for rapid heating (max heating surface on the bottom), but I don't like them to cook in as the contents spill easily if they have room to slosh from side to side. Tall narrow pots are less prone to spillage for a clutz like me, but they are a pain to eat out of and less efficient for heating. Also I tend to boil food in my pot and let it set in a pot cozy to cook (FBC without the freezer bag). Your geometry lessons will tell you that a pot with a 1:1 height:diameter ratio will have the minimum surface to volume ratio so you get a lighter pot (less material per unit volume) and with less surface area, there is less cooling (heat is retained longer). So I really like this 1:1 profile as it gives a wide enough base for efficient heating and eating out of but not so wide to loose heat and be prone to spillage. As for the Olicamp, it is a bit bigger and heavier than maybe I need. If being ultralight is a consideration, then a slightly smaller and less bombproof pot may be to your liking.

you could also consider using a cook pouch for your rice and knorr sides. i just pre portion out my minute rice or knorr sides in a sandwhich bag then its as simple as dumping in your boiling water and into the pouch. Check out Toak's pots i use mine none stop and have had zero issues.

this right here is the answer the only pot that is needed isnt a pot its a 700 ti cup to dump into a freezer bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The tall and narrow grease pot isn’t the most efficient shape for a pot.
    Wayne

this one works fine used one for years, fuel canister and all the cooking supplies/stove fit in it perfectly. would not bring it solo though (semi overkill) i use this when the better half is along for the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by billisnice View Post

love mine...works fine watch out adjusting the handle it loosens the rivets and it may leak, just re-peen the rivets...

Page 4. Surely you’ve got a clue for your ideal pot by now.
    You overlooked the the critical part: The diameter should exceed the height for optimum efficiency.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Page 4. Surely you’ve got a clue for your ideal pot by now.
    You overlooked the the critical part: The diameter should exceed the height for optimum efficiency.
    Wayne

you have repeated this point twice in this thread, the critical part...really? thats a ways down the list of concerns imho. how about weight, capacity, material its made of, typical use, pack-ability, what kind of heat source/s, heat sheild..

height/diameter ratio is only one of many considerations when it comes to efficiency - and its not really the main factor, from my experience it is much more important to use a good wind/heat shield and to use a heat source properly sized to your pot. i mean if every last gram of fuel is that important then i might consider the h/d ratio but its kinda picking nits compared to all the other considerations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++