WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Need recommendation for specific brand/model of cooking pot

Looking for a pot that meets the following criteria:

1.2L - 1.5L capacity
    Anodized aluminum (do not want Teflon coating or other non-stick that flakes off)
    Lid with draining holes
    Little spout built in for easy of pouring boiled water into MH meals without dumping it everywhere

Having trouble finding something that meets all these criteria. The two closest I can find that matches all of these is:

MSR 1.3L Quick Solo Pot - (does not have a pouring spout)
    Evernew 1.3L Titanium Ultralight (has a pour spout but no drain holes..and it's titanium)

I'm planning to use the pot to boil water...and also cook canned foods and stews and such in. Looking for aluminum as it will cook hash/stews better than titanium.

Thoughts?

Oh...and having clear capacity markings on the side would be a nice benefit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
    Looking for a pot that meets the following criteria:

1.2L - 1.5L capacity
    Anodized aluminum (do not want Teflon coating or other non-stick that flakes off)
    Lid with draining holes
    Little spout built in for easy of pouring boiled water into MH meals without dumping it everywhere

Having trouble finding something that meets all these criteria. The two closest I can find that matches all of these is:

MSR 1.3L Quick Solo Pot - (does not have a pouring spout)
    Evernew 1.3L Titanium Ultralight (has a pour spout but no drain holes..and it's titanium)

I'm planning to use the pot to boil water...and also cook canned foods and stews and such in. Looking for aluminum as it will cook hash/stews better than titanium.

Thoughts?
    The Evernew 1.3 lid really doesn't need holes. The little space created by the spout should be enough to drain water.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    The Evernew 1.3 lid really doesn't need holes. The little space created by the spout should be enough to drain water.
    Thanks for the note. Haven't seen it in person so nice to know it will drain okay....just hope it can do it somewhat quickly. The thing holding me back is the fact it is titanium and I'm guessing will not cook as well as aluminum.

Not sure if this meets all your needs, but thought I'd let you check it out

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15324#reviewInfo

Operator error on this end, but if you navigate their website, there is a 1.5 liter version of that pot.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Do you really need 1.2L to 1.5L?
    I ask because I find the 0.85L MSR Titan Kettle to be adequate for solo use, and save my MSR 1.3L Quick Solo for trips with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Not sure if this meets all your needs, but thought I'd let you check it out

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15324#reviewInfo
    Hmmm...I possibly see a new pot and stove purchase in my future

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I ask because I find the 0.85L MSR Titan Kettle to be adequate for solo use, and save my MSR 1.3L Quick Solo for trips with the kids.
    ^^^^This is something to consider because most of us overestimate volume requirements (assuming this is for solo use). I have a friend who does in-pot cooking for TWO (himself and his wife) in the Titan Kettle. The last few years, I myself have worked my way down from 1.3L to 550ml for 3-season, although for serious winter and snow melting I use a Jetboil MiniMo which has about 850ml capacity plus a little 'headroom' to reduce boil-over.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ^^^^This is something to consider because most of us overestimate volume requirements (assuming this is for solo use). I have a friend who does in-pot cooking for TWO (himself and his wife) in the Titan Kettle. The last few years, I myself have worked my way down from 1.3L to 550ml for 3-season, although for serious winter and snow melting I use a Jetboil MiniMo which has about 850ml capacity plus a little 'headroom' to reduce boil-over.
    Volume wise, my dehydrated 6 oz. meals are 300 ml before adding water. Then two cups of water = 473 ml.

300+473 = 773ml. So a 0.8 pot for me is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Good question. Since I don't have a 1.3 here...I'll throw this out there. If I wanted to make one of the Knorr Pasta packets and throw in some canned chicken in the mix...or have something like a 20 oz or 24 oz can of Dinty Moore Stew or Chicken and Dumplings...and not have it at the brim of of the pot but have room to comfortably stir the contents as it cooks...what's a good size pot to use?

One cup is a skosh less than 250ml so 850-900ml is good... hence the popularity of these sizes.

Just have to be a wee bit careful when looking at claimed pot volumes because sometimes they include a little headroom and sometimes the volume is measured right to the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    One cup is a skosh less than 250ml so 850-900ml is good... hence the popularity of these sizes.

Just have to be a wee bit careful when looking at claimed pot volumes because sometimes they include a little headroom and sometimes the volume is measured right to the rim.
    So a fll package of something like the Knorr Pasta sides will cook in this okay...even with the noodles expanding...without overflowing a 900ml pot?

Olicamp XTS is a good 1L pot. Anodized aluminum, graduation marks inside, heat sink for quick boil times, silicone lid with drainer holes. Only thing it doesn't have that you asked for is a pour spout. Practice a little and you'll be fine.

So a fll package of something like the Knorr Pasta sides will cook in this okay...even with the noodles expanding...without overflowing a 900ml pot?
    yup 567890

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Olicamp XTS is a good 1L pot. Anodized aluminum, graduation marks inside, heat sink for quick boil times, silicone lid with drainer holes. Only thing it doesn't have that you asked for is a pour spout. Practice a little and you'll be fine.
    That looks nice. I'm guessing a gas canister will fit in there fine..wonder if it can also squeeze a Pocket Rocket 2 in as well.

Images

If you reduced your volume needs, the SnowPeak 700 meets your needs perfectly. It has a hole in its lid that turns it into a pour spout, but that same lid can also be used to drain the liquid from cooked noodles. It is titanium, but I have never noticed a difference between it and my aluminum Heineken KegPot. (Yes, I still have a functioning KegPot.)

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Images

Thanks for the note. Haven't seen it in person so nice to know it will drain okay....just hope it can do it somewhat quickly. The thing holding me back is the fact it is titanium and I'm guessing will not cook as well as aluminum.
    We used it for almost 6 months on the trail. Rice needs to be stirred very frequently and pasta has to be stirred pretty much constantly, or it will start to burn on the bottom. That wasn't an deal breaker for me, but for some I imagine it would be.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    We used it for almost 6 months on the trail. Rice needs to be stirred very frequently and pasta has to be stirred pretty much constantly, or it will start to burn on the bottom. That wasn't an deal breaker for me, but for some I imagine it would be.
    I don't mind watching the things I'm cooking. Heck, things will stick to even good surfaces if you don't keep an eye on things. My concern with titanium is I just heard it doesn't cook well, in comparison to something like the anodized aluminum pots. I don't mind carrying a few more ounces if that helps with lowering the cooking times...or the needed cleanup times afterwards.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    This is a pot I've seen and seriously considered (if I didn't already own a Titan Kettle, the MSR solo, two different Jet Boils, and an MSR Alpine Cookset) and checks off many of your boxes.
    It seems to have a really good combination of low cost and lots of good reviews.

So I'll throw out the suggestion: Buy this pot and simply give it a try. I think there is a good chance it will meet your needs, and if not, you'll have some solid knowledge of where to go next without having put out a lot of cash.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++