WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GPS question - First time segment hiker

I'm a first time segment hiker on the AT. I'm hiking from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap. I'm wondering if the trail is very easy to follow or if a GPS device is highly recommended. They are pretty expensive (although I'm sure it's worth it if you get lost!), plus it's just more to carry. Thoughts? If GPS is highly recommended, I welcome any suggestions on which ones to look at. Thank you all!

Leonidas

The majority of the AT a gps is not needed, for the first 31 miles you are looking at, it is definitely not needed. If you have a smartphone, you can download Guthooks app for the AT and that will function off your phones gps even in airplane mode.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

It's very easy to follow. The trail is blazed with rectangular white markers from GA to ME very frequently placed.

It's good to have a paper map though for safety. There are some apps out there that might work for you too.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Like said above, generally trail is easy.

Not in your section, but there are confusing places where people have side trails to campsites or lookouts, sometimes several, going in circles among rocky outcrops. If you inadvertently follow one, you can end up confuzzled for a lil while. A good question to ask yourself is "do this look like the AT? At intersections the most defined, worn trail is always it.

A couple times i take wrong sidetrails, eventually i realize it aint trail im supposed to be on anymore, not well defined enough. Or ends. Or starts goibg in circles. Because many others did same thing. Time to backtrack.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-30-2017 at 12:16.

If you have a smart phone, you already have GPS. For $9.95 you can download the Guthook app which pretty much gives you all the info you'll need. You don't actually need GPS or maps for that matter, but are nice to have. A guide book is however indispensable. The Guthook app is a good sub for a printed guide book, although the printed guide is easier to plan with.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    The majority of the AT a gps is not needed, for the first 31 miles you are looking at, it is definitely not needed. If you have a smartphone, you can download Guthooks app for the AT and that will function off your phones gps even in airplane mode.
    Loved the Guthooks app for hiking the JMT, so I could see recommending it for the AT as well. The main purpose I used it for navigation was anytime I had any worry that I might have taken the wrong trail, I could fire up the app and confirm that I was still on the correct trail. It helped me a few times in heavily used areas where signs were not present indicating which was the JMT.

The AT should be even easier given that you have the white blazes to confirm that you're still on the right path.

Over all, based on my experience on the JMT, if I were to do the AT, I would not carry a GPS and would instead once again use the app.

[Edit]
    Make note that for the AT, there are several Guthook apps to purchase, each covering a segment of the AT. For a much shorter trail like the JMT, it's a single app for the whole trail.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-30-2017 at 14:06.

Thank you!

On the AT, if you go more than 5 minutes without seeing a blaze, turn around. Generally you can see blazes in both directions anywhere you stand on the trail. Occasionally they are a little farther apart, but they are very frequent.

Journal Entries

Default White Mountain range

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you have a smart phone, you already have GPS. For $9.95 you can download the Guthook app which pretty much gives you all the info you'll need. You don't actually need GPS or maps for that matter, but are nice to have. A guide book is however indispensable. The Guthook app is a good sub for a printed guide book, although the printed guide is easier to plan with.
    Hello Slo-Go,

I am doing a solo NOBO next spring on AT. I plan to get Guthook but someone suggested I should get the TOPO maps of the White mountains. I am pretty good at reading and orienting from maps.Do you think a newbie on the AT should have the White mountain section maps? If so, where do you recommend I get them?

thanks,
    kibs

If you are referring to USGS topo maps, don't do it, the trails are way out of date. If you want a map with topo AMC sells one map that covers the entire whites. There really is no need for a special map unless you need or want to go off the AT.

The Guthook app will keep you on track through the Whites.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++