WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: La Sportiva

Default La Sportiva

Went to REI in King of Prussia, PA today. Needed some shoes. I tried looking around at Dick's Sporting Goods but the staff there is kids that wouldn't know their butt from a hole in the ground. So I traveled down to REI today. First off, that place is amazing and could put me in the poorhouse. Friendly and knowledgeable staff, ready and willing to help. Anyways, I went with the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. One of the most comfortable shoes I've ever put my feet in. If you're looking for footwear, you may want to give these a test drive. Reg $130 on sale for $98.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Love my Ultra Raptors. Great shoes. Only complaint is tread life, but it's not horrible. I generally get 300 miles out of a pair, but that includes wearing around while not hiking.

Images

Been wearing the Wildcats for about three years now, love 'em. Started wearing them to work for the comfort and support, had to get a second pair since my trail shoes are rather, er, grungy.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    One of the most comfortable shoes I've ever put my feet in.
    Indeed they are, however I found them to be way too slippery on rock.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Indeed they are, however I found them to be way too slippery on rock.
    The wildcats and raptors have effectively the same sole and I had the same problem for quite some time. After some extended use (probably 300-400 miles) the soles finally wore down enough that they started to be more grippy abd stable on wet rock. I used that pair of Wildcats for far longer than the recommended lifespan and the more beat up they got, the better they were.

When I finally got rid of them I bought a pair if the new LaSportiva Akyra trail runners which have a deeper and much more aggressive tread made of a softer rubber. These things hold on to wet rock like a mountain goat. The tradeoff is that the softer rubber means it wears down faster and the shoes won't last quite as long, but for my needs that's a fair tradeoff.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

La Sportiva is also friendly toward those of use who wear narrow width boots/shoes. I wear size 13 narrow and they fit very comfortably and my feet don't slide around and blister up.

Since Saucony has decided to de-fang the Xodus, I'm going to try switching to Ultra Raptors. That toe cap is just what I need. I'm concerned that the tread isn't going to be tough enough for the trail I'm about to do, but I'm pretty low on options at this point.

I would much prefer something with that sort of toe cap, the tread from the Akyra, and a heel-to-toe drop of 4mm or so. Too bad no one makes something like that.

There customer service is amazing too i had an issue with a seam coming out of boot one picture and they sent out a free pair and they said keep the other pair. only issue is they sometimes discontinue products out of nowhere or slightly change the fit.

I got the TX4 for this year to replace my Garments. I also got the TX2's but those won't be hiking much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Spelling correction garments=Garmonts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

I got my first pair of Ultraraptors in Nh and wore them on rainy wet rock & found them to be grippier than any other shoe I have had. I have now gotten my third pair.

LaSportiva labels the Ultra Raptors incorrectly. Their EU size to US size conversion is off by 1 whole size. I wear 9 1/2 or 43.5 size shoes according to every online conversion chart I can find. According to the size marked on box, I need a 10.5. Thanks to the REI exchange policy I was able to exchange my first pair of size 10 Ultra Raptors for the correct size 10.5.
    I like the Ultra Raptors so much that I bought a second pair before they disappear.
    Wayne

La Sportiva has a great comparison chart on their site, https://www.sportiva.com/sizing-technology/

RunningComparisonChart2017_lowres_Page_1.jpg

RunningComparisonChart2017_lowres_Page_2.jpg

I got a crazy deal on the Akyras and found they fit pretty true to size, 8.5 US normally but found their 8.5+ (41.5 EU) size to fit well. I found the statements on width to be true as the Ultra Raptors were definitely more narrow than the Akyras.

++ New Posts ++