WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lodging in Palmerton, Pennsylvania?

Distressed to learn that the borough hiker hostel here closed in 2015. Any other options in the area?

I am planning to section southbound from Delaware Water Gap in September, looking for a place to rest and resupply after walking the rock river.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

One of the restaurants on main street built an outdoor shower and started letting hikers stay in their garage out back last year. It was pretty rough, but for $5 it was a deal.

I would imagine it's gotten improved and still in operation, but I can't say for sure. The lady who owns the restaurant said she was disappointed with the town closing the "jail" hostel and decided to do something about it.

Otherwise, I don't think Palmerton even has a motel near-by.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

I usually stay in Airbnb locations when doing AT sections in PA. There is a place listed right in Palmerton (private room) for $59 per night. The photo looks like the host hikes, and some comments indicate AT hikers have stayed there. (I checked Palmerton since commented above mentioned there.)
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

It is so sad that the Palmerton Jail closed down! We really enjoyed our stay there!

You might call John "Mechanical Man" Stempa. I stayed at his house a few nights when I was going through that area. http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp...uttles-sandbox. At the least he would be a great source of local knowledge.

Images

I don't know if this place is still open for business or not, but we stayed at the Palmerton Hotel in 2015. The rooms were ok and the owner slack packed us for a day as well. There was a pizza delivery place in town and one of the "long term" hotel residents let us borrow his truck to go to the laundromat and wash clothes. Good luck.

++ New Posts ++