WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BC grad breaks Appalachian Trail record with final push of 37 sleepless hours - The B

The Boston Globe

BC grad breaks Appalachian Trail record with final push of 37 sleepless hours
    The Boston Globe
    There is no official sanctioning body for Appalachian Trail records. Along the way, said McConaughy, 26, he saw 16 bears as well as four rattlesnakes, which blend into the landscape and can be hard to spot. “I almost stepped on a few,” he said. He was ...

More...

Default Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail record - Washington Post

Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail record
    Washington Post
    MILLINOCKET, Maine — A former Boston College cross-country runner has traversed the 2,190-mile (3,524-kilometer) Appalachian Trail in record time after a sleepless, 37-hour sprint to the top of Maine's Mount Katahdin. Joe McConaughy, known on the ...

and more »

More...

Default Photos: Scenes from the record-setting Appalachian Trail trek - The Boston Globe

Photos: Scenes from the record-setting Appalachian Trail trek
    The Boston Globe
    Jessica Rinaldi/Globe Staff. Joe McConaughy picked his way through the rocks as he ran toward the summit of Mount Katahdin. According to McConaughy, he hiked the 2,200-mile Appalachian Trail in an unofficial fastest known time of 45 days, 11 hours, ...

More...

Default Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail record - Minneapolis Star Tribune

Minneapolis Star Tribune
    MILLINOCKET, Maine — A former Boston College cross-country runner has traversed the 2,190-mile (3,524-kilometer) Appalachian Trail in record time after a sleepless, 37-hour sprint to the top of Maine's Mount Katahdin. Joe McConaughy, known on the ...

and more »

More...

Default Former Boston College Runner Completes Appalachian Trail In Record Time - WBUR

WBUR

Former Boston College Runner Completes Appalachian Trail In Record Time
    WBUR
    A former Boston College cross-country runner has traversed the 2,190-mile Appalachian Trail in record time after a sleepless, 37-hour sprint to the top of Maine's Mount Katahdin. Joe McConaughy, known on the trail as "Stringbean," reached the mountain ...
    Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail recordWashington Post
    BC grad breaks Appalachian Trail record with final push of 37 ...Boston.com

all 6 news articles »

More...

Default Speed-hiker covers Appalachian Trail in record time - Press Herald

Press Herald

Speed-hiker covers Appalachian Trail in record time
    Press Herald
    MILLINOCKET — A former Boston College cross-country runner has traversed the 2,190-mile Appalachian Trail in record time after a sleepless, 37-hour sprint to the top of Maine's Mount Katahdin. Joe McConaughy, known on the trail as “Stringbean ...

and more »

More...

Default Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail record - LancasterOnline

LancasterOnline
    MILLINOCKET, Maine (AP) — A former Boston College cross-country runner has traversed the 2,190-mile (3,524-kilometer) Appalachian Trail in record time after a sleepless, 37-hour sprint to the top of Maine's Mount Katahdin. Joe McConaughy, known on ...

More...

Default Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail record - WTOP

WTOP
    MILLINOCKET, Maine (AP) — A former Boston College cross-country runner has traversed the 2,190-mile (3,524-kilometer) Appalachian Trail in record time after a sleepless, 37-hour sprint to the top of Maine's Mount Katahdin. Joe McConaughy, known on ...

More...

Default Speed-hiker covers Appalachian Trail in record time - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sent

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel

Speed-hiker covers Appalachian Trail in record time
    Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel
    MILLINOCKET — A former Boston College cross-country runner has traversed the 2,190-mile Appalachian Trail in record time after a sleepless, 37-hour sprint to the top of Maine's Mount Katahdin. Joe McConaughy, known on the trail as “Stringbean ...

More...

Default Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail record | WGME - WGME

WGME

Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail record | WGME
    WGME
    MILLINOCKET (AP) -- A former Boston College cross-country runner has traversed the 2,190-mile (3,524-kilometer) Appalachian Trail in record time after a ...
    The Coeur d'Alene Press - Local News, Adventure of a lifetimeCoeur d'Alene Press

all 3 news articles »

More...

Default With a 25-pound pack, Joe McConaughy breaks Appalachian Trail speed record - Washingt

Washington Post

With a 25-pound pack, Joe McConaughy breaks Appalachian Trail speed record
    Washington Post
    Eight months ago, when he started getting the urge to speed-hike the Appalachian Trail, “I really wanted to go for it,” McConaughy said. “I believe in myself a lot, and it definitely really humbled me and made me appreciative of the terrain,” he said ...
    Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail record | WGMEWGME
    The Coeur d'Alene Press - Local News, Adventure of a lifetimeCoeur d'Alene Press

all 3 news articles »

More...

Default With a 25-pound pack, Joe McConaughy breaks Appalachian Trail speed record - Bangor D

Bangor Daily News

Bangor Daily News
    Eight months ago, when he started getting the urge to speed-hike the Appalachian Trail, “I really wanted to go for it,” McConaughy said. “I believe in myself a lot, and it definitely really humbled me and made me appreciative of the terrain,” he said ...

More...

Default With a 25-pound pack, Joe McConaughy breaks Appalachian Trail speed record - The Denv

The Spokesman-Review (blog)

The Denver Post
    Seattle native breaks Appalachian Trail unassisted speed hiking record by 10 hoursThe Spokesman-Review (blog)

all 3 news articles »

More...

Default Ultrarunner Smashes Appalachian Trail Record - Newser

Newser

Ultrarunner Smashes Appalachian Trail Record
    Newser
    (Newser) – After making the final sprint up Maine's Mount Katahdin in 37 sleepless, rain-soaked hours, Joe McConaughy now boasts the record for fastest time to complete the Appalachian Trail. McConaughy averaged about 48 miles per day to complete the ...
    Sprint to the finish yields a new Appalachian Trail recordSalemNews.net
    Adventure of a lifetimeCoeur d'Alene Press

all 6 news articles »

More...

25lb pack? Seems pretty darn heavy for an extreme mileage hiker. Major props on the accomplishment (I can't even put my brain around it TBH) but I'm curious to hear what the heck he was carrying!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    25lb pack? Seems pretty darn heavy for an extreme mileage hiker. Major props on the accomplishment (I can't even put my brain around it TBH) but I'm curious to hear what the heck he was carrying!
    At 8k to 10k of calories a day, I'm betting food. Along with the proper footwear, fuel is the most important "gear". I would be curious to know how much the pack weighs once he's eaten all his food. Though if he weighed ten pounds more and his pack was ten pounds less he'd still be carrying the same weight.

++ New Posts ++