WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Im new, need AT advice please

It appears this is the best forum to get AT advice. I'm planning a trip to do a 5 day section of the AT, in Virginia, in Oct this year. Can anybody help me out with some "must haves" for a trip of this length. Also, what would be the better section in Virginia to do (better meaning: backcountry, scenic...)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fng0879
    It appears this is the best forum to get AT advice. I'm planning a trip to do a 5 day section of the AT, in Virginia, in Oct this year. Can anybody help me out with some "must haves" for a trip of this length. Also, what would be the better section in Virginia to do (better meaning: backcountry, scenic...)
    Check the articles section - tons of good information there. Almost anything you need to know.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Virginia is a beautiful state....one great area is the Damascus, VA North through the Mt. Rogers/Greyson highlands area. They have wild ponies, and beautiful views. The Virginia Creeper trail also runs through part of this area (an old railroad bed)...
    There are other beautful places in VA, but that was one of my favorite places on the ENTIRE AT.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

If you only have a week you can't go wrong with the Grayson Highlands. That will put you in the Damascus neighborhood, so you can not only visit one of the most scenic and enjoyable mountain ranges on the AT, but one a town that meets the same criteria. hope you enjoy yourself wherever you decide to go. Be well.

Puck
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Images

Default Im new ,need ATadvice please

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofblue68
    Virginia is a beautiful state....one great area is the Damascus, VA North through the Mt. Rogers/Greyson highlands area. They have wild ponies, and beautiful views. The Virginia Creeper trail also runs through part of this area (an old railroad bed)...
    There are other beautful places in VA, but that was one of my favorite places on the ENTIRE AT.
    I agree I take my nephews and nieces hiking in that section and camp at the local campgrounds,ky

Images

welcome to whiteblaze,yes it is the best neo

ya need a hammock and a jetboil and some freezer bags neo

Images

have a hammock neo

++ New Posts ++