Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 99
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-25-2015
    Location
    Neptune Beach
    Age
    52
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Sounds good in conversation. But the reality is completely different. Living a life interrupted and seeing the fruits of your labor destroyed is another.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Typo in sentence.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I hear ya....that's what insurance is for...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My buddy has a rental house in key west.

    10 yrs ago when we discussed it, he was paying $ 10,000/yr in premiums for hurricane

    His deductible is 25%. His out of pocket not covered by insurance would be $100,000+ likely.

    And, his downstairs is enclosed for more living area. Not legal anymore, but his property is grandfathered. He wouldnt be able to rebuild that at all. Thats where he stays when he goes to work on property improvements, etc.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Sounds good in conversation. But the reality is completely different. Living a life interrupted and seeing the fruits of your labor destroyed is damaged is another.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I feel your concern I'm less than .25 mile from the ocean in AB so I'm screwed also if it gets close. I have several century old live oaks around my house that would likely end up down on my house. We had to evacuate last year but luckily only had 80 mpd wind and didn't sustain any major damage.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-05-2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Not again....another reason to get the hell out of Fl! I hope it tracks easterly or my arse is toast...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey, how's this for a Florida state motto?
    "Florida - if you can't come to the beach - the beach can come to you"! (jus kidding...STAY SAFE)!

  5. #25
    Registered User sketcher709's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-18-2013
    Location
    Princeton, MA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    71

    Default

    This is a very interesting site of weather geeks on a thread about Irma. The latest update within the last hour sows a decent possibility that Miami takes a direct hit then the storm rakes the state. One poster said it may then head to southern end of Appalachian mtns. These people seem technical, I do not understand much of what they are saying but have been able to glean who seems to know what they are talking about and also there is consensus which is a bit concerning. It almost seems a certainty, as certain as something can be this far out, that it will head to Florida as possibly a cat 4 or 5, perhaps it will cross the state and reland further up GA/SC/NC somewhere.

    https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/...-irma/?page=99

    I think if I were starting on the 8th I would have a contingency plan to take cover - could be quite a wicked rain storm. I'd also have my fingers crossed thy are all wrong and it gets shredded by Cuba and never comes back to life....

  6. #26

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher709 View Post
    This is a very interesting site of weather geeks on a thread about Irma. The latest update within the last hour sows a decent possibility that Miami takes a direct hit then the storm rakes the state. One poster said it may then head to southern end of Appalachian mtns. These people seem technical, I do not understand much of what they are saying but have been able to glean who seems to know what they are talking about and also there is consensus which is a bit concerning. It almost seems a certainty, as certain as something can be this far out, that it will head to Florida as possibly a cat 4 or 5, perhaps it will cross the state and reland further up GA/SC/NC somewhere.

    https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/...-irma/?page=99

    I think if I were starting on the 8th I would have a contingency plan to take cover - could be quite a wicked rain storm. I'd also have my fingers crossed thy are all wrong and it gets shredded by Cuba and never comes back to life....
    all anyone knows is what the models show. Courtesy of Wunderground (their logo is on their charts here)
    Yeah, if I had a place in the keys, Id be gettin a little worried about now.


    that and what HISTORICALLY storms this time of yr do, which this one aint. Models keep showing it tracking west, more west every update instead of following typical pattern, ie no steering front to oppose it. Today miami, tomorrow, New Orleans? Yesterday it was heading for atlantic coast somewhere from FL to ME

    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-04-2017 at 20:53.

  7. #27

    Default

    Local weather man in Houston says that a cold front passing through Texas and into the Gulf will steer the storm away from Texas and toward Florida. Good news for us, but unfortunately bad news for you guys. I hope it misses all of us.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

  8. #28

    Default

    I used to fear no storm because I'm right in the middle of the state.
    ...yup, 60 miles from either coast, between Homosassa and New Smyrna.
    Charlie taught us that a storm can do pretty serious damage in the the middle of the state. Storms like THIS ONE are not to be taken lightly. If there is anything good to come out of the Texas disaster, it's that it should have removed many Floridians false sense of invulnerability for a year or two.
    It's Tuesday and shelves are already bare at the lumber stores and the grocery stores. That's saying something.

  9. #29
    Registered User johnnybgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-28-2007
    Location
    Midlothian,Virginia
    Posts
    3,079
    Images
    76

    Default Trouble in Paradise

    Looks like the islands of the Caribbean and vacation paradise southern Florida are sitting dead red for Irma's wrath. Even if this Hurricane goes through cycles of reorganization and weakens as it churns ever closer to the island chains, it will wreck havoc wherever it makes landfall.

    Heed the warnings and take every precaution. Stay high and dry.

    Peace !​
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-18-2016
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Georgia
    Posts
    124

    Default

    It's always funny to me how yankee transplants to the South (who seem to never grasp the most basic understanding that dinner is served at high noon and supper is the evening meal) magically become Hurricane experts when they relocate here. I was at The Home Depot today with a friend of mine from Pennsylvania and even he had to shake his head at the dozens of yankee "experts" just mouthing and prognosticating away in their loud-talking yankee-speak. Those of us who are native born to the Southern Coast, and have scores of years experience with hurricanes and tropical storms, understand that it to WAY too early to identify the path of either Irma or Jose. The common sense thing to do is to stay quiet, be observant (particularly keen on wildlife/animal behavior), and once a more defined path is established by weather authorities, take appropriate and responsible action.

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    It's always funny to me how yankee transplants to the South (who seem to never grasp the most basic understanding that dinner is served at high noon and supper is the evening meal) magically become Hurricane experts when they relocate here. I was at The Home Depot today with a friend of mine from Pennsylvania and even he had to shake his head at the dozens of yankee "experts" just mouthing and prognosticating away in their loud-talking yankee-speak. Those of us who are native born to the Southern Coast, and have scores of years experience with hurricanes and tropical storms, understand that it to WAY too early to identify the path of either Irma or Jose. The common sense thing to do is to stay quiet, be observant (particularly keen on wildlife/animal behavior), and once a more defined path is established by weather authorities, take appropriate and responsible action.
    no wonder you're all over weight, yur eatin' two dinners!

  12. #32
    Registered User gollwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-03-2004
    Location
    waterville, ohio
    Age
    62
    Posts
    434
    Images
    16

    Default

    Olga 1995 caused mudslides

    I hear smoke

  13. #33

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    It's always funny to me how yankee transplants to the South (who seem to never grasp the most basic understanding that dinner is served at high noon and supper is the evening meal) magically become Hurricane experts when they relocate here. I was at The Home Depot today with a friend of mine from Pennsylvania and even he had to shake his head at the dozens of yankee "experts" just mouthing and prognosticating away in their loud-talking yankee-speak. Those of us who are native born to the Southern Coast, and have scores of years experience with hurricanes and tropical storms, understand that it to WAY too early to identify the path of either Irma or Jose. The common sense thing to do is to stay quiet, be observant (particularly keen on wildlife/animal behavior), and once a more defined path is established by weather authorities, take appropriate and responsible action.
    By the time you kniw where its going, too late to do much

    On coast, you should have pre cut plywood panels, all the time.
    Install, bring things that fly away inside, and leave
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-06-2017 at 04:43.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-23-2015
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Well most of the gas stations here are out of gas. Had to get up at 5 am to find a place that had any and it was 3.19 for premium. Last night most places had lines around the block. Hospital iWork at is talking about evacuating in next couple days depending on predictions today. The back up generator is on the first floor so if we get flooded we're done.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    By the time you know where its going, too late to do much

    On coast, you should have pre cut plywood panels, all the time.
    Install, bring things that fly away inside, and leave

    QFT

    Okeefenokee Joe's attitude is very common, and yes, some people do panic early about storms approaching.

    However, this storm is 400 miles wide with 185 mph winds near the center. To NOT take it seriously and prepare or evacuate is irresponsible.

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    It's always funny to me how yankee transplants to the South (who seem to never grasp the most basic understanding that dinner is served at high noon and supper is the evening meal) magically become Hurricane experts when they relocate here. I was at The Home Depot today with a friend of mine from Pennsylvania and even he had to shake his head at the dozens of yankee "experts" just mouthing and prognosticating away in their loud-talking yankee-speak. Those of us who are native born to the Southern Coast, and have scores of years experience with hurricanes and tropical storms, understand that it to WAY too early to identify the path of either Irma or Jose. The common sense thing to do is to stay quiet, be observant (particularly keen on wildlife/animal behavior), and once a more defined path is established by weather authorities, take appropriate and responsible action.
    Seems to me a Cat 5 hurricane would get more than a few yawns and a double order of hush puppies at dinner and supper from the grizzled storm vetted conks. But apparently this is not a big deal to the local natives, who apparently also drift into Home Depot looking for plywood along with everyone else. I wish you well in the coming storm, by the looks of this monster its not going to be fun.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-07-2017
    Location
    Spartanburg, South Carolina
    Age
    36
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Where are you guys getting the best info for this thing? I am a bit worried about starting my 10 day section hike on friday now. Still going out but looks like it is going to be a we hike.

  18. #38
    Registered User Water Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-17-2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,462
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    Where are you guys getting the best info for this thing? I am a bit worried about starting my 10 day section hike on friday now. Still going out but looks like it is going to be a we hike.
    NOAA Hurricane (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/) is my go-to for hurricane info.

    I visit windy.com to watch the info in action (it is an interactive map), but it is understandably not reliable more than a few days out. It's also good for other (rain, wind, snow) storms.

  19. #39
    Registered User kestral's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-12-2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Florida
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    Where are you guys getting the best info for this thing? I am a bit worried about starting my 10 day section hike on friday now. Still going out but looks like it is going to be a we hike.
    The great thing about section hiking is the ability to relocate a route if weather will be awful. Think about your 'plan B' and remain fluid. Enjoy your hike!

    I'm considering my bail out plan from floridas east coast to include a hike maybe Virginia or North Carolina.

    My best info for this thing? I combine many foreshadowings, gaze at the moon, then toss the magic bones to determine my plan. I phones weather app is helpful too. Bring an umbrella .

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-25-2015
    Location
    Neptune Beach
    Age
    52
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •