WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have the original GG Crown VC 60 and love that pack....but I had the same issue. I could sometimes reach back and grab the Smart Water bottles but found it difficult to return them to the mesh pockets. I got tired of asking my hiking buddies to put my water bottles back into my pack for me. Then someone on White Blaze suggested the Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System. I purchased one last year from Amazon and Icouldn't be happier with it! There are several caps included that fit different size water bottles - including the Smart Water bottles many hikers prefer. I simply attach the tube to the bottle, slip the bottle into the mesh pocket, loop the hose over the top of my shoulder and I'm good to go! I use a small strip of Velcro to hold the tubing in place on my pack strap and the mouthpiece stays within easy reach. I purchased a different bite valve for it - and Amazon doesn't carry that particular one now - but other options are available.

Believe me, you will enjoy this system.

PS: I also used some shock cord and plastic cord locks to make loops on my shoulder straps (similar to the photo shown by dwcoyote above) to hold a regular Gatorade bottle. I put Gatorade, Propel or Nuun water in that bottle and use keep plain water in the Smart Water bottles in my side pouches.

I ended up buying a lightweight bottle holder made of aluminum designed for race biking and tie-wrapped it to my hipbelt between the hipbelt pocket and the pack. Works really well.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    Ok. Got all of my gear in - finally. Packed my new bag. With food and water and a full canister of cooking fuel - 34 lbs. (Includes a couple lbs of fishing gear.) So I hefted this beast onto my back, adjusted the hip belt, and cinched down the shoulder straps/load lifters - and carried it around the house for 15-20 minutes. Felt really good with the bulk of the heft on my hips. Now if my arms were 8" longer and I had a second elbow, I could actually reach my 1L smart-water bottles in the pack's side pockets. *** is up with that? I certainly don't want to have to drop the pack to get a drink of water! Anybody else have this issue? Suggestions?
    Not sure why peeps are jumping onboard regarding Zpacks ArcBlast which is good for carrying a pillow and 200 Marlboro Lights! The C2 can handle 5+ days of food and long water carries...talking of which: I successfully used the brand of water called 'Smart'. These tall slim bottles easily fitted in the C2 side pouches with the strap holding the bottle secure. In addition, I tied cord around and under the lip of the screwtop to aid in grabbing the bottle. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    Not sure why peeps are jumping onboard regarding Zpacks ArcBlast which is good for carrying a pillow and 200 Marlboro Lights! The C2 can handle 5+ days of food and long water carries...talking of which: I successfully used the brand of water called 'Smart'. These tall slim bottles easily fitted in the C2 side pouches with the strap holding the bottle secure. In addition, I tied cord around and under the lip of the screwtop to aid in grabbing the bottle. Hope this helps.
    I just used my Arc Blast (2014 version) for a 4 night trip (Grafton Loop Trail) in Maine and it had plenty of room. And I can easily remove/replace my 32 oz Gatorade water bottle in the side pocket.

More and more 'peeps' are discovering they don't need to carry a bunch of heavy traditional crap and are enjoying the enormous benefits of a light pack, while remaining just as comfortable, well-fed and safe as heavy haulers.

IMG_2663-M.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-27-2017 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    I ended up buying a lightweight bottle holder made of aluminum designed for race biking and tie-wrapped it to my hipbelt between the hipbelt pocket and the pack. Works really well.
    You mean this?

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-A...4MBX98M1029G57

Rigid pieces of metal strapped to your hipbelt...one of which is perpendicular to your hip. What could go wrong?

There is a reason this isn't a thing...just sayin...

A water bottle cage for a bicycle?

That's got to be a first.

For that kind of weight, might as well get something like an OR water bottle parka which will also keep water cooler or warmer, depending on season. The loop will fit over the hip belt in the desired location... used the older version of this way back when I was hauling a ginormous McHale mountain pack.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-28-2017 at 07:39.

I used a ZimmerBuilt holster on my Crown 1 for my JMT trek:

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/store/p26...le_Pocket.html

It has a top and bottom attachment to the webbing on your shoulder straps, for added stability and less bounce.

That was probably the best gear adjustment I made for the entire trip. So convenient. Had alot of folks ask me about it along the way, in the same boat as you. Note, it fits the 2/3L Smart bottles best. The 1L will fit, but they are a bit awkward b/c they are so tall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++