WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Granite Gear Crown 2/60 question

Ok. Got all of my gear in - finally. Packed my new bag. With food and water and a full canister of cooking fuel - 34 lbs. (Includes a couple lbs of fishing gear.) So I hefted this beast onto my back, adjusted the hip belt, and cinched down the shoulder straps/load lifters - and carried it around the house for 15-20 minutes. Felt really good with the bulk of the heft on my hips. Now if my arms were 8" longer and I had a second elbow, I could actually reach my 1L smart-water bottles in the pack's side pockets. *** is up with that? I certainly don't want to have to drop the pack to get a drink of water! Anybody else have this issue? Suggestions?
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Lightbulb

Let me show you a couple of pictures. First is the back of a ULA Circuit pack:
    ULACircuitBackORIG.jpg
    See those yellow loops on the shoulder straps? Those are elastic cords which are designed to hold the necks and bodies of a couple of water bottles. This makes your water easy to access, and it also balances your pack load better.

Next is the Crown 2:
    Crown2BackORIG.jpg
    Note the several stitched divisions in the nylon webbing running up the center of the shoulder straps. If you got some elastic cord and did a bit of experimentation, what do you think you might accomplish?

Make sure that the side compression straps run under the water bottle, not on top of it. Once I did that, I can do a one-handed retrieval & replacement of my water bottle while walking

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    Ok. Got all of my gear in - finally. Packed my new bag. With food and water and a full canister of cooking fuel - 34 lbs. (Includes a couple lbs of fishing gear.) So I hefted this beast onto my back, adjusted the hip belt, and cinched down the shoulder straps/load lifters - and carried it around the house for 15-20 minutes. Felt really good with the bulk of the heft on my hips. Now if my arms were 8" longer and I had a second elbow, I could actually reach my 1L smart-water bottles in the pack's side pockets. *** is up with that? I certainly don't want to have to drop the pack to get a drink of water! Anybody else have this issue? Suggestions?
    Solved.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/aquaclip.shtml

Since your Crown60 does not come with hip belt pockets, you can put the aquaclip on the belt instead of the shoulder strap, if you wish.

Also, you should look into hip belt pouches/pockets. Again, ZPacks has your answer...

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml

All that being said, you are at the upper limit of this pack's weight handling ability. So, instead of a lighter pack, you should have been focusing on lightening your load. 35lbs is simply far too much for a week in the summer, even with fishing gear and food. If that is your summer kit, this pack will not be able to handle your winter kit.

Finally, you can simply hang a 2L or 3L bladder with hose off the back of the pack and hydrate that way. I'd say put the bladder on top of your load INSIDE the pack, but with your load, it is highly doubtful you have space for a 3L bladder...

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Let me show you a couple of pictures. First is the back of a ULA Circuit pack:
    ULACircuitBackORIG.jpg
    See those yellow loops on the shoulder straps? Those are elastic cords which are designed to hold the necks and bodies of a couple of water bottles. This makes your water easy to access, and it also balances your pack load better.

Next is the Crown 2:
    Crown2BackORIG.jpg
    Note the several stitched divisions in the nylon webbing running up the center of the shoulder straps. If you got some elastic cord and did a bit of experimentation, what do you think you might accomplish?
    I'm going to take you up on your suggestion. I could live without the sarcastic undertones, but maybe....it's just your way.
    zig-zag man

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Since your Crown60 does not come with hip belt pockets, ...
    I guess you didn't look at the picture, but those Crown 2 60 hip belt pockets look pretty plain to me.

I'm going to take you up on your suggestion. I could live without the sarcastic undertones, but maybe....it's just your way.
    Honestly, no sarcasm was intended. I like DIY projects. I haven't yet performed this mod to my Crown 2 (first attempt at getting elastic cord turned out to be insufficiently strong), hence the question rather than a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I guess you didn't look at the picture, but those Crown 2 60 hip belt pockets look pretty plain to me.

Honestly, no sarcasm was intended. I like DIY projects. I haven't yet performed this mod to my Crown 2 (first attempt at getting elastic cord turned out to be insufficiently strong), hence the question rather than a statement.
    My mistake. I am giving thought to that $5 clip from zpacks. I may be able to adapt it to my rig. The way the straps wrap around my shoulders and then cut back to the pack, I don't think there is enough room to do the elastic cord setup you suggested. There is a little room between the hip belt pockets and the pack. Maybe I can rig up a carrier there. If you come up with a solution, I hope you share it with me.
    zig-zag man

Solved.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/aquaclip.shtml

Since your Crown60 does not come with hip belt pockets, you can put the aquaclip on the belt instead of the shoulder strap, if you wish.

Also, you should look into hip belt pouches/pockets. Again, ZPacks has your answer...

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml

All that being said, you are at the upper limit of this pack's weight handling ability. So, instead of a lighter pack, you should have been focusing on lightening your load. 35lbs is simply far too much for a week in the summer, even with fishing gear and food. If that is your summer kit, this pack will not be able to handle your winter kit.

Finally, you can simply hang a 2L or 3L bladder with hose off the back of the pack and hydrate that way. I'd say put the bladder on top of your load INSIDE the pack, but with your load, it is highly doubtful you have space for a 3L bladder...
    The Crown DOES have hip belt pockets. And the 34lbs includes all the gear I would need for 3 seasons plus 4-day food supply. That being said, I agree that I'm reaching the max recommended load of this pack. But that's ok. Its not the lightest, nor is probably not the heaviest. But it is a weight I can deal with, so we're solid there. The zpack clip does look intriguing, but I'm not sure where I'd put it. I don't want a bottle of water bouncing off my chest. I may be able to rig something in the space between the hip belt pockets and the pack.
    zig-zag man

The Crown DOES have hip belt pockets. And the 34lbs includes all the gear I would need for 3 seasons plus 4-day food supply. That being said, I agree that I'm reaching the max recommended load of this pack. But that's ok. Its not the lightest, nor is probably not the heaviest. But it is a weight I can deal with, so we're solid there. The zpack clip does look intriguing, but I'm not sure where I'd put it. I don't want a bottle of water bouncing off my chest. I may be able to rig something in the space between the hip belt pockets and the pack.
    OK, you got the Crown 2. Which, is kinda a different pack than the Crown, which is one of the packs I own. You've got the linelock lid and the hip belt pockets, but no real water bottle pockets. Not that the Crown's water bottle pockets are the best...they aren't...but they work for a number of purposes...also, the Crown2 hipbelt does not have the adjustability of the old Crown.

Although, the new and the old Crown are BOTH on sale right now for the same 149.99...go figure....

...also, the Crown2 hipbelt does not have the adjustability of the old Crown.
    How so? I've never used an old Crown, but my women's Crown2 has their "Re-Fit" adjustable hipbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by FrabjousDay View Post
    How so? I've never used an old Crown, but my women's Crown2 has their "Re-Fit" adjustable hipbelt.
    I was referring to the hip belt's adjustability to fine-tune your fit, not some one-size-fits-all scheme of belt.

http://www.granitegear.com/crown-v-c-60.html

I also prefer the option of removing belt pockets to be replaced by whatever whenever.

Sure, the Crown2 is a nice pack, and you essentially get a free line lock lid with it. And, non-removable hip pockets....

To give you an idea of the Crown2's popularity....it's on sale for 149.99 already. And, so is the original....which apparently is still being produced...

Just sayin...

I was referring to the hip belt's adjustability to fine-tune your fit, not some one-size-fits-all scheme of belt.

http://www.granitegear.com/crown-v-c-60.html

Just sayin...

Just saying what? It's the perfect opportunity to denigrate someone else's choice of gear?
    zig-zag man

I also prefer the option of removing belt pockets to be replaced by whatever whenever.

Sure, the Crown2 is a nice pack, and you essentially get a free line lock lid with it. And, non-removable hip pockets....
    I can understand wanting to be able to order a specific hipbelt size, especially for bodies at the extreme ends of the sizing spectrum. However, with my average sized body I'm loving the adjustable system. I still have yet to use the lid as a "lid" since it functions really well as a chest pack.

I have the same issues with my Granite Gear Lutsen. Below is my solution and after carrying my water in the front since buying this pack I can honestly say that I wish I had done this a long time ago. Gets some weight up front and makes it super east to access and drink water while on the move.

Looks like the Crown 2 and Lutsen should strap set up is nearly the same. If so you should have room to secure the bottles up front. I use the 20 oz Gatorade bottles because the location of the groves line up perfectly with where the cord loops are placed. I have used larger bottles and it worked also.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Curious where people are seeing these bags on sale for around $150?

Backcountry Gear.com

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

MountainSmith used to sell water bottle "holsters" that fit on most any hipbelt. Might be able to find one on ebay, or on the back shelf of your local gear dealer.

Just saying what? It's the perfect opportunity to denigrate someone else's choice of gear?
    Just sayin that new aint always better. Hence, the early discount on a brand new pack while realizing the demand for the old pack is still strong enough to have to keep producing it. And that's with a free line-loc lid thrown in. Kinda sorta having to give them away...free lid, 25 percent off a recently introduced product...just sayin...the market dictates demand and GG just found that out...

And, it looks like the stretchy fabric hasn't changed. Which isn't a good thing. You'd think they would have gotten tired of honoring their warranty...

I will give GG props for not pulling the plug on the original Crown to force demand for the Crown2. It will be interesting to see this year's sales figures for each item...

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken209 View Post
    Backcountry Gear.com
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++