WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default B&M Brown Bread With Raisins

You Easterners should be able to give me some good ways to prepare this as a trail snack. A local store here in the midwest says it's a seasonal item, fall winter type of thing. I'll be looking for it locally today in other stores. Comes in a can, ready to eat. What is shelf life once opened and kept in ziplocs? Can it be sliced and fried with olive/coconut oil?

brown bread.JPG

Shelf life is slightly less than other types of bread due to the extra sugar (molasses). You can fry it with oil, but butter works much better. Just put a stick in one of these tubes:
    SqueezeTubes.jpg

I was raised on Friday night baked beans and brown bread. (Dad was from Mass.) Haven't had the bread in years, but it was pretty dense, so should pack well.

Images

I was able to pickup 3 cans today and will try it with butter. Look at the calorie content.

bandmcontents.png
    bm contents.png

Why don't you just eat 1.3 tablespoons of sugar?
    Same thing.

I would try slicing into 1/2" rounds, then cutting rounds in 6 like a pizza. Next dehydrate in slow (150 degree) oven or a dehydrator if you have it until crisp. Store in glass jar (old spaghetti sauce jars work well) until hike, when you switch to a ziplock. Dip in honey butter and snack on. Honey butter- 2-3 parts butter to 1 part honey to your taste of course, cinnamon is a good add on and is anti inflammatory.

Cant wait to find this item and try above myself. I love to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Same thing.
    Not in terms of taste. Nowhere close.

65 calories per ounce, and you have to pack the can out? no thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    I would try slicing into 1/2" rounds, then cutting rounds in 6 like a pizza. Next dehydrate in slow (150 degree) oven or a dehydrator if you have it until crisp. Store in glass jar (old spaghetti sauce jars work well) until hike, when you switch to a ziplock. Dip in honey butter and snack on. Honey butter- 2-3 parts butter to 1 part honey to your taste of course, cinnamon is a good add on and is anti inflammatory.
    Cant wait to find this item and try above myself. I love to eat!
    I cut it into 1/2" thick rounds. 1st one I ate covered thick with butter

2nd one I ate with peanut butter by taking small bites with different amounts of peanut butter per bite. Had to do that because the 1st bite had too much peanut butter and could not taste the bread.

3rd slice I had with honey.

Of the 3, I preferred the one with peanut butter. It will only get better with a "crunch" brand of peanut butter.

All were good. Will have it more often. Will try frying it and toasting also.

My wife tried it with peanut butter, liked it but said it had a too heavy taste of molasses. Would only have it once a year

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    65 calories per ounce, and you have to pack the can out? no thanks.
    Take contents out at home, place in ziploc. No can to pack out. Add extra raisins and add peanut butter...what's not to like :-)

Images

This morning I simmered 2 pieces in salted sweet cream butter. Simmered both sides till I thought was well enough ;-)Put dollops of black cherry Activia yogurt on top of them along with a couple walnut halves. 90% of the molasses taste had vanished. Twas a delightsome breakfast.

DSCF3687.JPGDSCF3688.JPG

Been a long time since I had that bread. I remember it as dense, but tasty. No idea what the shelf life would be though.

-FA

Images

Yesterday and today I had it toasted with butter. Gets better everyday :-) It is dense, but tastes great as the testing goes on. Stays moist uncovered in fridge. Will get some cream cheese for it today. One end of the loaf is not flat and that end is a little less moist.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Same thing.
    You must not be from New England.

Grew up on the stuff. Sliced out of the can no need to fry just slather on a nice amount of good butter eat wash down with coffee. Had it somewhat recently stuff isn't anywhere as good as it used to be.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Images

I grew up in Chicago, ate nails and glass for breakfast, washed it down with moonshine. ;-)

I'm new to this bread, give me time and Ibe eating it on a regular basis. Gonna put a slice in a ziploc and let it sit on the kitchen table till it starts to grow little green and grey thingies :-)

I was inspired by this thread to buy a can yesterday at my local grocery store for old times' sake. This led to an amusing conversation with the two high school kids working the register; they were stunned that such a thing exists. I explained about food storage in the dark ages before refrigeration or market shelves stocked by daily deliveries. They decided that this may be the greatest thing since...., well, since sliced bread.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

The plant they make it in is in Portland Maine. When I was growing up in the late sixties to seventies they would always donate cans of beans and occasionally brown bread to local groups like the boy scouts. We hauled a pile of B&M baked beans down to the national scout jamboree in 1977 but sadly didn't get any brown bread. Its an acquired taste and texture.

Their claim to fame is they are true brick oven baked beans compared to "steam beams" which are cooked in the can with no precooking. They precook the beans in kettles and then can them and apply a sterilizing bath while other companies just put the raw beans and ingredients in and cook them in the can. I used to get kick out of their marketing, every can of beans had a piece of salt pork added to it, they also sold "vegetarian" beans without the added salt pork.

Get a nice day with the right breeze and a walk along the eastern promenade walking trail just across from the factory in Portland and it will smell like a combination of ocean and baked beans, very reminiscent of a lobster bake. Makes me salivate thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Get a nice day with the right breeze and a walk along the eastern promenade walking trail just across from the factory in Portland and it will smell like a combination of ocean and baked beans, very reminiscent of a lobster bake. Makes me salivate thinking about it
    Now you're getting me going. I went to high school in Portland.

Based on your age, if the breeze was in the other direction from South Portland the odor from the rendering plant in South Portland or the odor from back bay ruined the effect.

Now that they cleaned up the area and in the process of driving what is left of the marine industry out, the B&M odor is a bit more noticeable without the other background odors. I expect developers are drooling over getting their hands on the B&M building as its prime waterfront real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Been a long time since I had that bread. I remember it as dense, but tasty. No idea what the shelf life would be though.-FA
    I've read that it lasts a couple of years in the can (best by date), and about 4 days once opened.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++