WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    ........ I checked it several hours after putting it in the freezer and its can be eaten right out of the freezer. Its always a hassle trying to find calorie rich winter time hiking food and this seems to be a nice option.
    I tried it right out of the freezer yesterday, it's great! It doesn't freeze. Makes for a nice cool, fresh snack THUMBUP.gif

When I eat it, it reminds me of Guinness Beer. Might be good pairing

I was at the local Hannafords Store in North Conway NH. They had both types with and without raisins. I opened a can an sliced it up to freeze. I checked it several hours after putting it in the freezer and its can be eaten right out of the freezer. Its always a hassle trying to find calorie rich winter time hiking food and this seems to be a nice option.
    Saw it in the Hannaford down here outside Albany (NY) today, so they seem to have spread it through the chain. Right near the baked beans in our store (which of course B&M also make), as a clue if anyone is looking for it.

I am so happy for this thread. My son and I just got back from two nights easy backpacking at King's Mountain Battlefield/State Park. Breakfast both mornings was sliced brown bread, fried crispy in butter, then coated liberally with cream cheese. I usually eat this stuff prepared like this on our annual January camping trip odd years. On even year trips we do the same thing to holiday fruitcake. :-)

It also goes very well paired with chili. As a sandwich with sausage and cheese also. Thinking about it it goes good with just about everything. (wil admit to never having tried it with tuna)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    I am so happy for this thread. My son and I just got back from two nights easy backpacking at King's Mountain Battlefield/State Park. Breakfast both mornings was sliced brown bread, fried crispy in butter, then coated liberally with cream cheese. I usually eat this stuff prepared like this on our annual January camping trip odd years. On even year trips we do the same thing to holiday fruitcake. :-)
    I had a slice this evening and it was a doubled treat because I added some cut up(3) Natural Medjool Dates. The dates are no doubt the most delicious I've ever tasted. Life just got better!

PXL_20210222_001252735.jpgPXL_20210222_001309449.jpgPXL_20210222_000838782.jpg

Once upon a time we use to have Dromedary Date Nut Roll which was a lot like B&M Brown Bread with Raisins.Too bad B&M doesn't take up where the others left off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Once upon a time we use to have Dromedary Date Nut Roll which was a lot like B&M Brown Bread with Raisins.Too bad B&M doesn't take up where the others left off.
    Wow, that was long ago. Yes, let's convince B&M to include nuts and Natural Medjool Dates.

Dromidary date nut in can.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you for this thread. I grew up in NY and NJ on B+M baked beans and Brown bread. Now my brother buys it in South Carolinia and brings it to the house when he visits. But I"ll look at wallyworld and order.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

All my inventory is gone.....time to order another case dblthumb2.gif

Need more of the dates also.

I need more of the dates as well.....
    I actually have a date to go watch the fireworks : )

Images

A coincidence of humongous proportions occured. My son-in-law arrived today and gifted me 2.5 pounds of dates. I'm on a roll......all I need now it the B&M Brown Bread with raisins.

I have pretty good luck buying Medjool dates on Amazon in 5 lb bags. They keep a long time in the freezer. I think the last batch were "Anne and Sarahs" Theey are almost a different food compared to the cheap dried out dates sold at some retail stores.Sometimes, they will get white powder on them which is crystalized sugar coming out of the date. They are not a diet food ;(

Images

They are not a diet food ;(
    That's a well kept secret

A couple weeks ago I was gifted 2.5 pounds of gooey Medules that were from the country of Kuwait. Did not prefer the texture and sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    That's a well kept secret

A couple weeks ago I was gifted 2.5 pounds of gooey Medules that were from the country of Kuwait. Did not prefer the texture and sweetness.

I got some off Amazon about 10 days ago and they say "product of USA".They are listed as 41 calories each.I had 4 with a slice of cheese for lunch today.They are awesome despite having pitts so next time I will be looking for pitted.

A long time ago National Biscuit Company sourced dates from Iraq and Iran and sold them under the Dromedary brand but that was long before Desert Storm,Saddam Hussein,Osama, etc.The local grocers would be packed with them from Thanksgiving to Christmas but I have not seen them in at least 30 years.I don't miss their dates but the date nut roll they made in a can still makes my mouth water.B&M bread is about as close as I can get to it now.

Some B&M news, the stack is going away but the beans and brown bread remains in propuction

https://www.necn.com/news/local/icon...-down/2532503/

The brick stack had a lot of reinforcing bands on it, usually an indication that it was on its last legs. New codes requires seismic bracing and some insurance companies would charge a premium for an old stack like that due to potential to do damage if it did come down.

Images

Hopefully someone will do somthing decorative with the salvaged bricks and steel reinforcing rings/bands.

Thanks for the update peakbagger

"but the beans and brown bread remains in production"

Well sad to say the factory is going away

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/08/...new-institute/

The claim is they will continue production somewhere in the Midwest. My guess is they will reduce the number of products they make so the big question is will there be enough demand for brown bread?

Images

Sad to hear. Hopefully they will continue to make the brown raisin bread. One of my favorites

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++