WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Water update for Pen Mar to Pine Grove Furnace?

Can anyone comment on the water availability on the trail between Pen Mar and Pine Grove Furnace? I'm still a couple of weeks away from my trip... who would be a good source of information? AT Museum, Ironmasters, Pine Grove Furnace park office?

Thanks

Sorry its not much but I day hiked from Mountain Creek RV campground to the James Fry Shelter 2 weeks ago(and Caladonia this past weekend) and can report that Tag Run and the shelter spring are in good shape. In general from Caladonia to the Fry shelter, streams, and springs seemed to be doing well

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Sorry its not much but I day hiked from Mountain Creek RV campground to the James Fry Shelter 2 weeks ago(and Caladonia this past weekend) and can report that Tag Run and the shelter spring are in good shape. In general from Caladonia to the Fry shelter, streams, and springs seemed to be doing well
    Thanks Crossup, I appreciate this info. I've looked at rainfall totals and recent precipitation and it looks like we will be in good shape.

I'm hoping to do Caladonia/Michaux in the next few weeks myself, was a bit dissappointed to find camping restrictions in Caladonia but at least Northern Michaux has lots of trail campsites between shelters.

Water in the creeks is low right now, but we're expecting rain over the next week. Keep an eye on the weather reports.

I did this stretch plus some last October. If water levels are consistent monthly per year. water was abundant from Pen Mar to Tumbling run shelter.
    Caledonia SP had a good flowing creek on south side.
    Quarry Gap Strong flow
    Water at Milesburn Cabin
    Water flow strong at Birch Run shelter - A few sources in between there and Iron Masters Mansion.

Iron Masters Mansion was open and a nice place to stay, but the concessions were closed in October during the week when I was there.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++