WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Where to stay near Springer.

Since Hiker Hostel has been sold and new place is EXPENSIVE, I am looking for a place to spend the night when I get to Springer from Atlanta. Any ideas. Also looking for a shuttle from North Springs Marta to Springer. Anyone have any info. Also How are you getting your backpack to Springer. I am concerned about checking it on a flight and also worried about damage to it if I check it. Thanks for al help
    Linda

Also interested in answer to above question

amicalola state park lodge

As far as getting the backpack there, I'm carrying it on the plane. I won't trust the gear I need for months to survive the tender mercies of baggage handlers. I'm not having any checked baggage. Instead, I'm mailing those items the TSA doesn't like (trekking poles, pocket knife, stove with minute traces of fuel, & c.) to myself at the Atlanta main post office. I'm using an inflatable sleeping pad, but if you had a CCF mattress or anything else which made your pack too bulky to fit in the luggage "sizer" you could include such bulky item(s) in the mailed box with your trekking poles.

El Sordo
    Images

What LW said. Check with the ATC or FB regarding shuttles.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Why mail it to Atlanta? Might be more of an adventure getting it there than getting you to Springer. Have it shipped to Dahlonega or where ever you plan on staying. When are you doing this hike?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    What Lone Wolf Says. Great place to start a hike. Walk out the front door and be on the approach trail in about 2 minutes. You should use an AT Guide and it will list plenty of shuttle drivers to pick you up and get you where you want to go. As for your pack, I've successfully used a Walmart duffle bag to put my pack and gear in for a plane ride. Never had a problem with this method for checked baggage. With the duffle bag your poles empty stove, whatever, travels with you and the rest of your gear. Tell your shuttle driver you need fuel and Im sure he or she can accommodate. Don't want to use the approach trail? There's even one shuttle driver that will take you to Blairsville where there is a B&B, The Misty Mtn Inn, that will feed you breakfast, and gives a free shuttle to Neel Gap; then you can take a shuttle from Mountain Crossings to Springer. It's going to cost more than the Old Hiker Hostel deals whatever you do, but those days are gone, so plan for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Why mail it to Atlanta? Might be more of an adventure getting it there than getting you to Springer. Have it shipped to Dahlonega or where ever you plan on staying. When are you doing this hike?
    • I'm going to get a MARTA day pass at the Atlanta airport, so visiting the post office is fairly straightforward.
    • I'll be taking a red-eye flight so I'll be hitting the trail the afternoon of the day I arrive (after post office and Walmart stops).
    • Plan is to fly on February 27th, arrive on the 28th and do the approach trail that day, and begin the AT proper March 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    • I'm going to get a MARTA day pass at the Atlanta airport, so visiting the post office is fairly straightforward.
    • I'll be taking a red-eye flight so I'll be hitting the trail the afternoon of the day I arrive (after post office and Walmart stops).
    • Plan is to fly on February 27th, arrive on the 28th and do the approach trail that day, and begin the AT proper March 1st.
    Why don't you call Amicalola Lodge and see if they will accept your package and hold it for you? If they will it would save a lot of time. Those folks are mighty accommodating to hikers.

There was another thread about how to air travel with a backpack. I copied my contribution to that thread below.

"Ditto on the duffle bag. I have a ZPack Arc Haul, and I doubt it would survive without the duffle bag. I got my last duffle bag from Walmart for $18, but the suggestion to check out thrift stores is where I'm going next. Once at my destination, I do a cost analysis on the cost of the duffle vs the cost to mail it ahead to my end point. If it is cheaper to mail ahead rather than buy another duffle for the trip home, I mail it; otherwise I dump the bag at my start point and buy another at my endpoint. Yeah, it can get a little expensive, but I invested a lot of money in my hiking gear and I want to protect that investment.

BTW, I used to have an Osprey Atmos 65. I checked it as is on an airplane and it made it as luggage just fine - several times. I rolled up the straps and used a rubber band to secure them. Unfortunately, the Osprey is just too heavy, thus the ZPack."

Hi! Back in real time here. Another poster in the other thread said he used stretch wrap (available at Home Depot) to wrap his backpack before flying. He left the top where the pack opens clear of the wrap in case TSA wanted to have a look inside.

Remember not to travel with any fuel. TSA will write you up and confiscate the fuel. I know, because I forgot to toss my stove fuel before checking in at the airport and they caught me. That got my pre-check status suspended for six months.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    You can camp there or get a cabin, but a room at the lodge is going to cost $150+.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

Dawson Village Inn - $72
    Did a google search for the same town: lotsa choices under $100
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
    - Groucho Marx

WhiteBlaze.net HammockForums.net Click''s Trail Journal

I looked - Hiker Hostel rates are off the charts now......

El Sordo
    Images

another option. shuttle to Amicalola and then hike to the Len Foote Hike Inn. connector trail from there takes you to Springer.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Call Surviver Dave, he has a deal with a motel near Marta, and shuttles to Amicalola and Springer.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    I looked - Hiker Hostel rates are off the charts now......
    I'm confused here mates. First, it looks to me that HIKER HOSTEL is long gone. There is a new hotel operator occupying that location with an entirely different focus. It's not a hostel anymore so why does everyone expect hostel prices when its now a real hotel, and why does everyone keep calling it HIKER HOSTEL? Rates are actually cheaper than Days Inn so when comparing hotel to hotel, this is actually a decent value.

Just my 2 quid for the discussíon.

Aren't there some cabins and a shelter near the visitor center at amicalola? It's been a couple years some nice I've been there. Not sure how expensive they are. Also there's the camp ground at amicalola

there are three pretty decent sub $100 motels in Dawsonville at the intersection of Hwy 53 and GA_400. This is right in the middle of a shopping area where there are three large supermarkets, a large Walmart, a Home Depot, and Outdoor Store (called Outdoor World) and even a "premium" outlet mall (there is a Merrell outlet and a North Face outlet)

it can be tricky to get a shuttle from North Springs because many shuttlers only pick up at certain times so you risk sitting for a while. (There is an REI within walking distance of the station) You could get an Uber from North Springs to a Dawsonville motel for about $45 and that would be at your convenience. Then you could arrange an "official" shuttle to Springer or get an Uber to Amicalola Falls state park if you are hiking the approach trail.

I find that sometimes taking a day right at the beginning to get everything situated can be really helpful.

On the other hand, Barefoot Hills has a package for $210 that has shuttle, stop at a store, night in the bunkhouse, continental breakfast, and right to Amicalola or Springer. By the time you add everything up, it's not a bargain, but not bad either. You probably need a morning or mid-day flight to make it work.

Marta Train to North Springs $5
    Uber to Dawsonville $45
    Quality Inn Dawsonville $97
    (right behind WalMart)
    Uber to Amicalola $32
    $180

Journal Entries

Gainesville works with public transportation like amtrak
    All the usual chains. Ive stayed there a few times. 1 hr from amicalola.

If traveling by plane, just stay in atlanta and shuttle once next day will likely be cheapest.

2 shuttles gonna cost more than 1.

If budget , the shelter at amicalola works and is free. Just shuttle to amicalola.

++ New Posts ++