WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do you cook inside your tent?

I can imagine a backpacker setting up his tent after a wet day on the trail, climbing inside out of the rain, putting on warm dry clothing, then cooking dinner as the rain pitter-pats on the tent fly. But, I read that meals should be cooked/eaten away from the tent so the food smells will not attract wildlife. Do you cook inside your tent?

Not inside the tent, that's what vestibules are for. Doing it since 1968, (sometimes in Grizzly habitat!), have not had a problem yet...

So where did you read your fine beginner information?

Journal Entries

Vestibule or right outside the tent, yes. Inside, no.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I have no real fear of wildlife, however I absolutely do not cook in my tent or under my vestibule because it is made of sil-nylon. More traditional nylon tents that are waterproofed with polyurethane are also treated with a flame retardant, but my understanding that silnylon can not be treated with flame retardants and is very flamable. For this reason, I keep all flame away from mine.

Just as one example:

https://youtu.be/w492-EVCHQo

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Cook? Ummm....I don't "cook" on the AT. I boil water and rehydrate whatever is for dinner. I boil water for coffee or cocoa. Before I go to sleep I rinse out the mug and Ti spoon far away from the tent and hang the hydration bag garbage and any other food wrapping refuse(energy bar wrapper/cookie wrapper/honeybun wrapper) in my bear bag.

I don't boil water inside the tent. No open flames inside the tent. I have boiled water inside the vestibule(no floor) but only when it is pouring rain.

I would not "cook" inside the vestibule. What makes up an "odor" are actually volatilized chemical compounds and these compounds adhere to fabric of any kind. Some compounds take longer to fully dissipate, some(sulphur, garlic, etc..) seem to take forever!

Garlic
    Images

Some mountaineering tents are designed for cooking. But not backpacking, no way.

Journal Entries

Once im in shelter, im gona lay down. And rest . Ill jus eat cold stuff and cook lunch the next day instead. I only boil water, but when that get to be a hassle, skip it.

I'm more concerned with possible fire or spillage problems then food odors. The chances of something going wrong while cooking in the tent or in the vestibule can be pretty high.

Once you learn the timing, you almost never have to cook in the rain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
    I can imagine a backpacker setting up his tent after a wet day on the trail, climbing inside out of the rain, putting on warm dry clothing, then cooking dinner as the rain pitter-pats on the tent fly. But, I read that meals should be cooked/eaten away from the tent so the food smells will not attract wildlife. Do you cook inside your tent?
    Why would you EVER do this?

I have, in the Whites in winter, many years ago. No bad consequences, but still not smart. Not at all smart.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Actual cooking inside a tent? Nope, and never have.

In a vestibule or under a tarp, heat water and dump in bag to rehydrate, put bag inside a cozy. I love a hot dinner and conditions have to be pretty darn $hitty for me to skip it. But that has happened a couple of times... tarping with serious wind/rain.

Garlic
    Images

A corollary to this discussion is carrying enough food that can be eaten with cooking, just in case you can't (or seriously shouldn't, as in a tent). Instant mashed potatoes, couscous, rolled oats, even ramen noodles come to mind.

FWIW - I am far more concerned with fire than wildlife in a tent so I avoid cooking in the tent or vestibule, preferring to set up a small fly or cook at a shelter in bad weather.

There are many ways a fire can start with camp stoves, even the most careful use is subject to a slight movement that pulls the floor fabric or sleeve that snags. If a fire starts, it's likely to start at the tent opening potentially leaving no way out except by extinguishing the flames (difficult if fuel is burning) or crawling through burning/melting nylon. Neither option is attractive, never mind the lost of any gear in the tent, or at minimum burning a hole in the tent that renders it ineffective in weather.

Something to consider.

I have sat outside in a light rain and cooked. I was already wet, so why not? I have also eaten Oreos or cereal for dinner. I have never cooked inside or right next to my tent. Too much danger of fire or melting nylon.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Not exactly the same thing but I cook under my hammock rain fly while sitting in my hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

When the weather is chilly and dubious enough that I setup the tent, I most likely will boil the water needed for rehydrating dinner and a tea afterwards in the tent vestibule.
    Saves a lot of fuel due to perfect wind protection.
    I'm using Esbit, which seems to be perfect for this usage (clearly visible yellow flame, no spill).
    The MSR Hubba Hubba NX supposedly has a flame protective impregnation.

Never, and here's why.

1) My tent / hammock tarp are thin cuben fiber that can catch fire / burn holes in rather easy. Expensive downside if I screw up after a long tiring day

2) Most of my hiking is in black bear country and I follow the rule of not cooking where you sleep for their protection and mine -- don't need a bear coming around sniffing while I'm sleeping

3) I use a QiWiz Gear DualFuel burner (awesome little alcohol stove) with a Trail Designs Caldera Cone and the combo protects well enough to cook in the rain given a little extra cover. No need to cook in my tent.

If it's really bad (solid rain + windy) I eat a no cook meal for dinner and opt for a hot lunch the next day. Only had to do that once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    ++++++++++++++++++
    The MSR Hubba Hubba NX supposedly has a flame protective impregnation.
    Which probably isn't very effective. It might slow down the rate of burn, but not eliminate it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    A corollary to this discussion is carrying enough food that can be eaten with cooking, just in case you can't (or seriously shouldn't, as in a tent). Instant mashed potatoes, couscous, rolled oats, even ramen noodles come to mind.
    You just rehydrate them and eat cold?

I NEVER cook in or near my tent. My brother once had an incident with fire and it wasn't even his fault. A dead tree fell on his tent while he was cooking in the vestibule during a rain storm. He had to cut his way out with his knife and the tent was gone in a matter of seconds. He was lucky to get out alive with minor injuries and lost most of his gear. Luckily, he was with a group of friends who were able to help him out and lend him a few things for the rest of the trip.

I always carry enough no-cook items so there's always plenty to eat if I can't cook one evening. Were else can you eat cookies for supper and not feel guilty about it? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Which probably isn't very effective. It might slow down the rate of burn, but not eliminate it.
    Guess its just up to a level, that the tent doesn't flash up in a huge flame when getting in contact with fire, but rather melt away lazily.
    In the old days I sometimes had a candle in the tent and once burnt a hole in the inner tent - this was my old Salewa tent, Nylon inner, no fire impregnation, and it didn't flash up either, but rather melted away (but pretty fast at that).

We have no animal big or agressive enough to cause you any problem, in our country. Would heed all your best advice regarding cooking away from camp if in your place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++