WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The subject is Shelters

I guess I'm on a soap box today, but I think if I was a shelter builder or maintainer ...and WhiteBlaze was my only source of information ... I'd take my hammer, saw, and broom and go home.

Most of the comments I read about shelters on WB would lead me to think that shelters are rat infested, dirty, rundown places to be avoided at all costs. It makes me think that many of these fine folks haven't stayed in a shelter in many years ........ if ever. Personally, I choose to stay at shelters whenever possible ... as an early starter in the mornings, they allow me to get away more quickly, and with dryer equipment.

I will of course admit that there is the occasional shelter that could use some serious renovation, but by in large the shelters on the AT are reasonably clean, well maintained, and dry. There are many that are even delightful places because of design, view, or exceptional maintenance. Based on the number of times I arrive at a shelter and it is full, or nearly full ... I believe a lot of people agree with me on this opinion.

So ... here is my thanks to the shelter builders and maintainers!!! Your hard work is much appreciated by this section hiker. Kudos for all your hard work and dedication.

Turtle

P.S. I have been know to "complain" when there isn't a shelter where I need it, or the shelters are a long way off the trail ... but these aren't serious complaints. I am well aware that shelters are where they are for reasons of accessibility, water, terrain, and other related issues. Besides, if you spaced them how I wanted, then they would be wrong for those who hike more or less in a day. So, those complaints should be entirely disregarded. They only come at the end of a long day hiking.

How many times have you seen mice vs not seeing mice at night? I mostly tent, but have seen a lot of mice at one shelter I stayed at. I sleep inside as there were no tent spots. Fortunately it was below freezing and it seemed the mice may have went into their burrow at night. they were crawling all around the leaf litter while I was eating. But either I did not notice or they stayed outside.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    How many times have you seen mice vs not seeing mice at night?
    On a long section hike in 2007, I slept in shelters on maybe 20 out of 40 nights... not a single mouse encounter that I recall. It was late in the season and I had the shelters to myself most of those nights.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    Most of the comments I read about shelters on WB would lead me to think that shelters are rat infested, dirty, rundown places to be avoided at all costs.
    Mice infested....for sure
    Dirty....yes. no way to keep anything in woods clean. Swept and clean are different things. Fire rings always debris filled.
    Rundown.... Not often. Most old really bad shelters have been replaced. More like " rustic"
    Avoid at all costs.....unless you like sleeping with snoring, farting, tossing turning , getting up to pee strangers.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-10-2017 at 22:56.

Sleeping on the floor next to a stranger who happens to be a guy with a big bead and who smells of Snickers is kinda creepy. So... a tent it is!

Journal Entries

I agree with you Turtle. Those who build and/or maintain shelters (and those who build/maintain trails) are special people. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered horrible terrain that was made much easier because someone rearranged the boulders into steps. I feel great admiration for those with the skill and strength to do such difficult work. And the shelters - regardless of the spiders and mice and snorers - are likewise the result of someone working their butt off to make the trail easier for me.

Over the course of my AT venture, I stayed in the shelters about 60% of the time, and rented the rest, except for the occasional hostel. I would have to agree with Turtle, that most shelters were acceptably clean, with a few exceptions.

I place shelters in two categories. Those built directly on the ground, such as those with stone walls and with log walls laying on the ground, and those shelters built up off the ground on pillars at the corners.

Unless they've been replaced in the last two years, the worst shelters on the trail are those in Tennessee and North Carolina. Even those I've only encountered mouse problems twice, once at Cherry Gap (stone walls), and at Cold Spring. I understand Cold Spring is being replaced.

I found the shelters through Virginia very nice, built up on concrete piers. Most were very clean and a pleasure to stay in.

Maine has a unique design for their shelters. They are old, but haven't encountered mice there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ...Most old really bad shelters have been replaced....
    Going to have to disagree on this one. From Georgia to Maine we saw dozens of shelters that were in pretty bad shape, in fact some were deplorable. But, for every truly bad shelter we would come across some very nice new structures as well. I guess the best way to think about it was as a bell curve. Some fantastic, some horrid, and most in between.

As for the mice issue, it was a common problem once the weather warmed up. The biggest reason we tried to avoid shelters when possible was the behavior of some hikers, not the shelter conditions or vermin.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg...ge.php?i=17117

Guess the snakes use it as a delicatessen.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just out of curiosity, do any of the shelters these days have rats?

Ice Water Springs shelter used to be famous for them.

They were well known to run all over your sleeping bag in the middle of the night. Not fun, but actually protected by the park.

I like tenting in the vicinity of shelters because I like the company. I used to avoid staying in the shelters until I hiked through GSMNP and had no choice and stayed in them four nights in a row. Since I found that experience to be not so bad I have since occasionally stayed in shelters but still would rather tent near them instead. I'm glad they exist. They make for natural gathering places for those who like that. For those who don't like that, they can stay away from shelters (with the exception of GSMNP). The network of shelters on the AT and Long Trail make for a unique hiking experience which I enjoy -- most other long distance trails in this country don't have them.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Going to have to disagree on this one. From Georgia to Maine we saw dozens of shelters that were in pretty bad shape, in fact some were deplorable. But, for every truly bad shelter we would come across some very nice new structures as well. I guess the best way to think about it was as a bell curve. Some fantastic, some horrid, and most in between.
    Yep. Some gorgeous, some kinda run down and ratty, most are in between. Personally I'm only really creeped out by the fully enclosed stone shelters, like Blood Mountain. I like it when the site has a nice view outward, or open to the sky, especially if the day's walk has been in the green tunnel.

As for the mice issue, it was a common problem once the weather warmed up. The biggest reason we tried to avoid shelters when possible was the behavior of some hikers, not the shelter conditions or vermin.
    I'll stay in a shelter (or not) depending on about a dozen or more factors that I weigh in about 10 seconds time when I get there. Empty? Over full? Clean shelter or dirty? Nice site? Nice people? Friends or people I know? Tenting nearby? Long approach trail? I've been known to move from shelter to tent at a moment's notice in the middle of the night if the situation changes (heavy snorers, drunk or rowdy shelter-mates, etc.)

Images

i stay at shelters whenever there is free space and theyre placed somewhere that works with my plan, which is frequently. i've even stayed at a few notoriously grimy places like cooper lodge and they arent nearly as bad as many make them seem. cooper had an obviously leaky roof, so i slept in a different spot, away from it. i lived.

i occasionally hear mice. one time, one ran across my head. i lived, its all good. part of being out in the woods. i once saw a mouse at a shelter checking out my stuff, but that wasnt on the AT.

nothing i own, food or anything else, has ever been damaged by any mice or any other critter. and i am far from the most careful person. inside a strong ziplock bag that is inside another larger bag and then inside my pack seems to keep them away just fine.

like many things, those who dislike something speak in hyperbole when they voice their opinions against it.

Journal Entries
    Images

The AT shelters are like the folks who hike the AT. Some shelters are old and some are new, some shelters are dirty and some are clean, some shelters need work and others are well maintained.
    Happy trails to all.
    Grampie-N->2001

Shelter haters are a small minority, but very vocal in their opinions. Then as soon as it starts to rain, everyone wants to be in the shelter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Tented less than a dozen times on my thru. Saw mice around shelters down south about half the time. Never had any serious mice issues with my gear, food or my body. I hung or bear boxed my food almost every night. Some shelters are nicer than others and a couple are absolute dumps. A few are really masterpieces of backwoods construction and amazed me. Many have a picnic table and they are invaluable in the rain. I brought ear plugs and was generally so tired by the time I laid down that nothing bothered me for 5 hours. After that, sleep was off and on. Most people in the shelters were great company with less than 5% being annoying. Even then, they made good subject matter for hiking conversation for several days.

If you don't like shelters, don't stay in them. Some of us find them great and appreciate those that built and maintain them.

My favorite shelters so far have been Gentian Pond, Speck Pond, Carlo Col and Horns Pond. Most are rat boxes.

I try to stay in shelters as much as possible simply because it gives me the ability to get away faster in the morning. I'm a slow hiker and any advantage is welcome. Of course there are downsides to shelters as has been pointed out. While I'm not a fan of mice, I've slept in shelters where I have seen mice. What really turns me off about shelters is the lack of consideration some hikers have. Yes, I'm talking about snoring, excessive gas, loud ground cover sheets (tyvek), and the worst of all, a shelter mate rolling over so he is nearly on top of me. Sure, I can eliminate the problem by sleeping in a tent, but why should I? Maybe the noise makers should be sleeping in a tent instead of keeping everyone up all night. And before someone asks, ear plugs don't work. I can still hear the noise.

I hiked with a guy I met at a shelter this year. He snored like a train engine, and he knew it. Not once did he sleep in a shelter, because he knew he would keep the others up all night. I respected him for that.

I'm heading back to the AT this week for another couple of weeks. I bought a tarp to rig if I can't get a space in a shelter, and I'm leaving my tent home, which will save me about a pound in my pack. I'm looking forward to my hike.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries

Shelters are pretty darn good for what they are. In my experience the mouse problem is greatly exaggerated. And Snoring as big a issue here as it is in a hostel bunk room. Their original purpose, a bad weather/ unfortunate circumstance shelter has been long forgotten by many and replaced with a LNT purpose, a place to concentrate human impact where it can be managed.

I've visited many shelters but only slept in two of the outdoor variety (I assume UGPC doesn't count): Fingerboard in NY and Hemlocks in MA. Neither were inspiring structures, but neither were they infested or offensive. I thoroughly enjoyed both stays. However, in GA, the Stover Creek Shelter appeared to be so clean and inviting I wished at the time I could have ended my day there to just enjoy it. This was in October and past the bubble-mess and everything looked nice. Hawk Mtn Shelter? Not so much.....we camped.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++