Ok went out for my first backpacking experience over the weekend with my sister. Learned alot and packed way too much - haha my pack was 35lbs. way too much food and too much clothes. but oh well. first night was great - stayed at cove mtn shelter in PA. altho i heard something at midnight that completely freaked me out. still not sure what it was????

ok i have a question - so for our 2nd night we stopped at the Darlington shelter and it was sooo windy and cold i knew we couldn't stay there with the clothes we had. we were traveling south and i saw that there is a campsite 1 mile down the mtn in that direction. thought it would be warmer. decided to try it. well we got down there and noticed beer bottles, broken glass, used tampons. just looked like a local party place as it was also 1 mile from the road. we got a bit freaked as it was sat nite and we sure didnt want to be there during another party by the locals. so we thought we would keep going and see if we could find somewhere else. altho keep in mind we are now getting closer to the road. we live around there and i realize that we do not have enough daylight time to get past all of this population before night fall. so we decided to listen to our gut and not camp that second night. we got to the road and called and uber and went home. feel like we failed but also feel like we had no choice. did not like the populated areas. hikers are fine but locals made us nervous.

so my question is - what would you have done?? are we just nervous and inexperienced?? would you have stayed at the party place?