WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    I've been watching in the wings on this one, I see you mention it every now any then here or on HF. I look forward to when you have them readily available.
    Which one were you waiting on?
    I'm farting along with the Big Guy and Luxury Bridges now... I'm selling them to forum members and via word of mouth- just not actually promoting or firing up the website due to my time restrictions.
    I have 2 of each at the moment and typically am getting handful or more out per month.

I do have some of my older medium bridges too- good for folks about 180lbs or so in Hyper D 1.6. Those are $120 shipped these days.
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg5hvh-OwSD-ldwKtXQ

You hint at a lightweight backpacking bridge hammock setup for the average joe (not a "Big Guy"). I enjoy my Ridgerunner, but do I wish this whole setup were lighter!

[QUOTE=Just Bill;2169452]Came across a folder of pics looking for something else...
    Suppose no harm in sharing it- https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwgvMVcQ_BWQyBxS2a0A
    Here's some photos of the original micro (brown one with brown tarp).

OnceAnd the current 10.2 ounce version that's a bit more user friendly. (black)

It's basically just big enough for a large neo-air and works best as a side sleeper.[/QUOTE

Once gain, uber thorough. People appreciate the time and detail you put into your efforts. That really resonates with some folks, like me. Thank you for all your responses, information and photos

Those micro-bridge hammocks are so cool!! I would love to check one out up close

I love the idea of using your trekking poles instead of carrying spreader bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    You hint at a lightweight backpacking bridge hammock setup for the average joe (not a "Big Guy"). I enjoy my Ridgerunner, but do I wish this whole setup were lighter!
    Yar... I basically have one now. Just not for production.
    And there are some things you could do to your ridgerunner to lighten it up like swap in Carbon fiber poles, lighter suspension, and even look into a trekking pole mod if you carry them.
    That would put the RR single layer in the 1lb range.

The big thing with bridges is the total package... that's something I do different than Brandon. The RR is an end bar bridge, so you tend to need more tarp to stay dry.
    I do recessed bar bridges that are further limited by a ridgeline to keep tarp size down. This also results in a bigger bridge for a given bar used. While my medium is similar in size; most find it more comfortable than the RR. Especially folks around 200 lbs or size Large shirts in men's as you get a bit more shoulder room.

Technically- my medium bridge I posted above (closeout) is 9 ounces for the bridge body. That's in Hyper D 1.6. I'm hoping to redesign it slightly and switch to the new Hybrid 1.2 fabric and perhaps swap out to Dynaglide rather than Amsteel suspension. (That's what I do on the micro). This could bring the bridge body itself to around 7 ounces.

I am working with Roto Locura to make a 36" Carbon Fiber Pole Set that weighs 5 ounces. Talking to Josh as well hoping to develop a bridge specific trekking pole.

So put that redesigned medium body (7oz) with a CF pole set (5oz) and I'm at 12 oz.
    To be fair to Brandon- that's no bug net on mine- but it is a bigger bridge than his.
    So I've got the micro at 10 oz... but if I can basically do a bigger than RR bridge for 12 so that's where I'm going to focus next. Shooting for a 250lb weight limit and 6'6" tall user easy that will work with a pad.

As it sits... I can squeeze that to a 9'6" Ridgeline- so a 10' tarp would do the job and I have a few prototypes in the 8 oz range in Membrane Sil. Go cuben and you can do better if you like.

There's potential to do an UQ in the 8 oz range too.

Mainly just finding the time to put it all together into something more solid. I've got the parts and pieces... so it's not just a pipe dream... but these are pretty labor intensive to do right.
    Brandon has a huge advantage there as his bridge is pretty easy to build all things considered. He makes a nice product... I'm looking to do something just a bit better overall though... but much like the Big Guy/Lux Bridge finding people to build them is the tough part.

I hate not having stuff, hate not talking about it too, lol.
    I try not to bring them up that often, but as you mention... I've hinted at it enough might as well just talk about it and get some feedback too.
    Ideally, I'll be in a spot that I can fire up a test group like I did with the Big Guy and put some in peoples hands.

There's 60 something Big Guy/Lux bridges out now... so it's all moving. But slower than I'd like for sure.
    My day job kicked up to 80 hours a week so 20 ish hours in my shop isn't doing much beyond keeping up with some word of mouth orders at this point.
    I do have three sewing contractors I'm trying to work with. One looks like a bust, one seems promising,and the last I need to get set up and see how it goes. If I can get a few of those to pop finally... things will improve. On the plus side... overtime checks means plenty of funds to keep up the R&D.

Yeah, that was the whispering I've heard

Good luck to you, like I said I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Do you think I would notice the difference between a 10ft and 11ft hammock? Ive always slept in 10 footers

Or do you think I would notice a difference with a wider hammock?

Currenly lookin at 10ft long; 60 inches wide

Do you have knee and/or ankle issues? I do. I'm 5'4" and found that 11' is the minimum for me to be comfortable, and even that is with a cushion under my knees. But then, I have to use a cushion with a bridge as well.

In an effort to identify our minimum comfort length, my wife and I took our (almost) 12' indoor hammocks and tried them whipped to various lengths between 10' and full length. I had been hoping that a shorter length would work for us so we could use a shorter tarp as well. Less weight, bulk and all that. I even tried 70" wide fabric hoping for a flatter lay with less length. 11' was the winner for both of us. Interestingly, 11' also proved to be the point of diminishing returns, anything beyond that was not necessarily any better for us. I just completed a chameleon clone in Robic 1.7. It's 11' x 60". 62" width is acceptable for me as my new indoor hammock, but there is a bit of excess fabric that I didn't want to backpack with. 60" has proven to be perfect. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Do you have knee and/or ankle issues? I do. I'm 5'4" and found that 11' is the minimum for me to be comfortable, and even that is with a cushion under my knees. But then, I have to use a cushion with a bridge as well.

In an effort to identify our minimum comfort length, my wife and I took our (almost) 12' indoor hammocks and tried them whipped to various lengths between 10' and full length. I had been hoping that a shorter length would work for us so we could use a shorter tarp as well. Less weight, bulk and all that. I even tried 70" wide fabric hoping for a flatter lay with less length. 11' was the winner for both of us. Interestingly, 11' also proved to be the point of diminishing returns, anything beyond that was not necessarily any better for us. I just completed a chameleon clone in Robic 1.7. It's 11' x 60". 62" width is acceptable for me as my new indoor hammock, but there is a bit of excess fabric that I didn't want to backpack with. 60" has proven to be perfect. YMMV.

I agree, 60 in wide is the ticket for me too.

What was the notable difference between the 10ft vs 11ft for you??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++