WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Contiguous?

My favorite is Roan when rhodies is a bloomin. But thats about 15 miles.

Yes, contiguous.

My first time in the Roan was 2 years ago and it was awesome. I will be back

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with the Allen Gap- US 19E section. Add a day and start or end in Hot Springs, or do Fontana-Hot Springs.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    I agree with the Allen Gap- US 19E section. Add a day and start or end in Hot Springs, or do Fontana-Hot Springs.
    Was planning on iron mtn gap to hot springs this winter but may add the 30 miles to 19e even though I've already done that section from iron mtn gap to 19e...was a beautiful section. Looks about 118 +\~ miles... be a push in 6 winter days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    The Foothills Trail....roughly76 miles along the border of North and South Carolina, Chattooga River, but can extend to Caesar's Head or Jones Gap for more miles.....
    For reference, my new Nat Geo Pisgah District Map indicates Foothills is now 105 miles.

So many choices...

My buddy Neemor and I might hike the foothills trail..

But I love following the whiteblazes and meeting folks on the trail.

Hiking the Smokies could be cool tool. Ive done many trips in the park but never set foot on the AT there

Images

Hiking the Smokies could be cool tool. Ive done many trips in the park but never set foot on the AT there

you could, with 100 miles, make a big ole loop zig zagging across different trails and ridges......

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    So many choices...

My buddy Neemor and I might hike the foothills trail..

But I love following the whiteblazes and meeting folks on the trail.

FHT is a great trail...I'd wait for cooler weather. I'm hoping to hike it again this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    you could, with 100 miles, make a big ole loop zig zagging across different trails and ridges......

Man, there are so many options for loops in the 100 mile range....

I could try hiking the BMT thru the park again. Last attempt wound up being cut short due to gear failure....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    FHT is a great trail...I'd wait for cooler weather. I'm hoping to hike it again this winter.

What do you like about it so much? Ive heard there are lots of water features but with the leaves changing Ill probably be more interested in views on this trip

What do you like about it so much? Ive heard there are lots of water features but with the leaves changing Ill probably be more interested in views on this trip
    Good question...was mid April when I did it and wasn't many views that I can remember except @ table rock. I did it in lil over 3 days so was a push for me and unfortunately I had a late start @ 4:00 day one so a good bit of the beauty of the Chattooga river wasn't seen as i was night hiking. Did see a bear chillin in the river just before dark so that was a cool experience. The leaves would definitely be awesome bonus in edition to the waterfalls.

wookinpanub

One of the best fall trips I ever took was weeklong loop beginning and ending in Damascus. Iron Mountain Trail out, hit AT and go through Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands, then back into town. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    On the AT, Allen Gap to US19E is 105 miles with Erwin halfway along as a convenient resupply point. This segment has Blackstaff Cliffs, Big Bald, Beauty Spot and Roan Highlands among its scenic highlights.
    Did Beauty Spot to 19E in June. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wookinpanub View Post
    One of the best fall trips I ever took was weeklong loop beginning and ending in Damascus. Iron Mountain Trail out, hit AT and go through Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands, then back into town. Fantastic.
    You've got my attention.

More info on this loop?

How many miles?

Damascus may be a bit too far but it's something new

Journal Entries

Living in Kentucky, I really like the Sheltowee Trace, especially its southern third, which is now about a hundred miles long.

For this trip you would not need to drive any further north than Cumberland Falls State Park. Mapquest indicates that Cumberland Falls is a four and half hour drive from Atlanta. Just outside Cumberland Falls State Park there is a business (Sheltowee Trace Outfitters) that does shuttles. Or, if you are willing to combine loops with some out-and-back hiking you could start at the Southern Terminus of the Sheltowee Trace (even closer to Atlanta) and do most of your 100 mile hike within the Big South Fork National Recreation Area, without needing a shuttle.

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/...park-303971164

The Sheltowee Trace Association sells a map of the southern half of the Trace that you might find helpful. And National Geographic offers a hiker's map for the Big South Fork.

https://squareup.com/store/STATradingPost
    Last edited by Siestita; 09-15-2017 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    Living in Kentucky, I really like the Sheltowee Trace, especially its southern third, which is now about a hundred miles long.

For this trip you would not need to drive any further north than Cumberland Falls State Park. Mapquest indicates that Cumberland Falls is a four and half hour drive from Atlanta. Just outside Cumberland Falls State Park there is a business (Sheltowee Trace Outfitters) that does shuttles. Or, if you are willing to combine loops with some out-and-back hiking you could start at the Southern Terminus of the Sheltowee Trace (even closer to Atlanta) and do most of your 100 mile hike within the Big South Fork National Recreation Area, without needing a shuttle.

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/...park-303971164

The Sheltowee Trace Association sells a map of the southern half of the Trace that you might find helpful. And National Geographic offers a hiker's map for the Big South Fork.

https://squareup.com/store/STATradingPost

very cool. Never even been to those parts of the country

Journal Entries

And now you know the problem with threads like this: you started out asking where to go for your 100-mile hike, but now you have a few really good options and you want to hike each one. The solution, blue indian, is to get your calendar out and make plans to hike them all!

Unless you have rotten weather, you really can't go wrong with whichever one you choose to do first.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    And now you know the problem with threads like this: you started out asking where to go for your 100-mile hike, but now you have a few really good options and you want to hike each one. The solution, blue indian, is to get your calendar out and make plans to hike them all!

Unless you have rotten weather, you really can't go wrong with whichever one you choose to do first.

Yes, they must all be explored!

But after reading about how bad the Irma damage is, Im worried about being able to hike at all...sucks!

Journal Entries

"But after reading about how bad the Irma damage is, Im worried about being able to hike at all...sucks! "

I spent from last Saturday afternoon until Monday evening hiking parts of the Sheltowee Trace near and through Cumberland Falls State Park. The weather was clear and there were no more blow downs than usual. Then, at about 6 PM on Monday very light rain, without appreciable wind began to fall.

Does anyone know anything about a loop involving the Iron Mountain trail and the AT thru the Grayson Highlands? Someone mentioned it on this thread but I never heard anything else about it and a google search wasnt very helpful. One other tread mentions it but not much detail..

On awols guide it looks as if it enters at mile 470.4 and again at 509.9

Or a combination or trails to make a loop in and out of Damascus involving the Grayson Highlands?

Ive got 6 days off. Ill be driving from Atlanta

Journal Entries

Does anyone know anything about a loop involving the Iron Mountain trail and the AT thru the Grayson Highlands? Someone mentioned it on this thread but I never heard anything else about it and a google search wasnt very helpful. One other tread mentions it but not much detail..
    On awols guide it looks as if it enters at mile 470.4 and again at 509.9
    Or a combination or trails to make a loop in and out of Damascus involving the Grayson Highlands?
    Ive got 6 days off. Ill be driving from Atlanta
    I'm not sure about this, but I think the Iron Mountain trail is in Tennessee roughly between Hampton and Damascus, VA. It runs parallel to the AT, and was the former AT before a relocation years ago. Link below has a map that might be helpful to you. Others more familiar with this trail can give better info.

http://tehcc.org/wiki/Iron_Mountain_Trail_-_South

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++