Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1. #1

    Default Your favorite 100 miles in the South

    Looking for some ideas of places to walk this fall. Got about a week off. I'd like to keep it in the South to maximize the driving to hiking ratio...whatcha got??

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,059
    Images
    3

    Default

    sooooooooo many.........


    but i think you've been to a vast amount of them...

    joyce kilmer...........slickrock..........standing indian............snowbird wilderness.........mount rogers.........cohutta....big frog....

    hundred miles along the BMT would cover alot of those areas...

    etc etc etc.......


    if im around and it fits into my schedule---i may be able to shuttle ya if needed.......

    i have shows and other trips planned though........

  3. #3
    Registered User Last Call's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2013
    Location
    Olive Branch, MS
    Posts
    390

    Default

    The Foothills Trail....roughly76 miles along the border of North and South Carolina, Chattooga River, but can extend to Caesar's Head or Jones Gap for more miles.....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

  4. #4
    Registered User Last Call's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2013
    Location
    Olive Branch, MS
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Buffalo River Trail in Arkansas....Black Creek Trail in Mississippi.....Savage Gulf, South Cumberland, TN....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-09-2017
    Location
    Ashford al
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Bartram trail in nc anyone ever hike it?

  6. #6

    Default

    On the AT, Allen Gap to US19E is 105 miles with Erwin halfway along as a convenient resupply point. This segment has Blackstaff Cliffs, Big Bald, Beauty Spot and Roan Highlands among its scenic highlights.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

  7. #7

    Default

    The Sheltowee is roughly 317 miles, give or take 10 miles. I have been exploring around the southern terminus and man does this area have a lot to offer, especially around the Honey creek loop area. And I know it continues on up to leatherwood ford, following the cliffs for about 10 miles of open scenery. Heading up past blue heron, yamacraw etc etc.
    Trail Miles: 3,715.9
    AT Trips: 67
    AT Map 1 Completion: 1818.9 Springer, GA - Franconia Notch, NH
    AT Map 2 Completion: 263.8 Gaps From GA - PA

  8. #8
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-10-2007
    Location
    Morganton, North Carolina
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,469
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    242

    Default

    If non-AT, look at:
    Mountains to Sea Trail sections
    Linville Gorge
    Wilson Creek area - Upper/Harper/Lost Cove Creek
    BlueRidgeParkway

    For AT sections,
    go with Map Man's recommendations - Allen Gap to 19E/Dennis Cove
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer
    Falls Lake Trail: 2011

  9. #9
    illabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-25-2012
    Location
    Lurkerville, East Tn
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,287
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    The Sheltowee is roughly 317 miles, give or take 10 miles. I have been exploring around the southern terminus and man does this area have a lot to offer, especially around the Honey creek loop area. And I know it continues on up to leatherwood ford, following the cliffs for about 10 miles of open scenery. Heading up past blue heron, yamacraw etc etc.
    Indeed! Honey Creek is our all-time favorite dayhike. Really enjoyed exploring the Crack-in-the-Rock up near Blue Heron. The canyons and cliffs and caves are so different from the terrain of the Smokies!

  10. #10
    Journeyman Journeyer
    Join Date
    08-09-2016
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Age
    59
    Posts
    156
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have been exploring around the southern terminus and man does this area have a lot to offer, especially around the Honey creek loop area. And I know it continues on up to leatherwood ford, following the cliffs for about 10 miles of open scenery. Heading up past blue heron, yamacraw etc etc.
    Been poking around this area as well. Have to give a +1.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    sooooooooo many.........


    but i think you've been to a vast amount of them...

    joyce kilmer...........slickrock..........standing indian............snowbird wilderness.........mount rogers.........cohutta....big frog....

    hundred miles along the BMT would cover alot of those areas...

    etc etc etc.......


    if im around and it fits into my schedule---i may be able to shuttle ya if needed.......

    i have shows and other trips planned though........


    Ive hit most of those...except the snowbirds and mnt rogers..

    Ill keep you in mind if I end up in one of those areas. Thanks man!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    The Foothills Trail....roughly76 miles along the border of North and South Carolina, Chattooga River, but can extend to Caesar's Head or Jones Gap for more miles.....
    Yes! Might have to thru hike this one..

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yodabear View Post
    Bartram trail in nc anyone ever hike it?
    One of my favorite overnight hikes is on the Bartram. I call it my "secret spot". One of the best views around

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    On the AT, Allen Gap to US19E is 105 miles with Erwin halfway along as a convenient resupply point. This segment has Blackstaff Cliffs, Big Bald, Beauty Spot and Roan Highlands among its scenic highlights.
    Hiked thru here last year, but it was so cool that I might just do it again!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    The Sheltowee is roughly 317 miles, give or take 10 miles. I have been exploring around the southern terminus and man does this area have a lot to offer, especially around the Honey creek loop area. And I know it continues on up to leatherwood ford, following the cliffs for about 10 miles of open scenery. Heading up past blue heron, yamacraw etc etc.
    Interesting. Any links to good guides or maps?

    It may be a little far for me though. Id rather not spend 5+ hours in the car one way

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    If non-AT, look at:
    Mountains to Sea Trail sections
    Linville Gorge
    Wilson Creek area - Upper/Harper/Lost Cove Creek
    BlueRidgeParkway

    For AT sections,
    go with Map Man's recommendations - Allen Gap to 19E/Dennis Cove


    I dont know much about the Wilson Creek area. Need to do some homework! Thanks

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,059
    Images
    3

    Default

    Any links to good guides or maps?



    i believe johnny malloy has written a book on the sheltowee.......

  18. #18
    Journeyman Journeyer
    Join Date
    08-09-2016
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Age
    59
    Posts
    156
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Interesting. Any links to good guides or maps?

    It may be a little far for me though. Id rather not spend 5+ hours in the car one way
    Here is a nice interactive map. https://www.sheltoweetrace.com/hike/

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Here is a nice interactive map. https://www.sheltoweetrace.com/hike/
    Cool, thanks.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Looking for some ideas of places to walk this fall. Got about a week off. I'd like to keep it in the South to maximize the driving to hiking ratio...whatcha got??
    Contiguous?

    My favorite is Roan when rhodies is a bloomin. But thats about 15 miles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •