WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Doyle Hotel Duncannon phone number disconnected?

Okay, I was just up there a week ago. Today, calling 717-834-6789 is getting a "no longer in service" message.

Did they change the phone number? Are they still open? Did the place burn down?

Quote Originally Posted by windlion View Post
    Okay, I was just up there a week ago. Today, calling 717-834-6789 is getting a "no longer in service" message.

I was there in early August. Food was good, but the viability of the place was pondered in me head.

Try again, I just got off the phone with them. Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    Try again, I just got off the phone with them. Iceman
    Okay, something strange. 717-834-6739? I am calling from Virginia, but that should not matter. My call to Rock & Sole Hostel went straight thru.

Not a concern. As long as they're open for dinner when I get there on the 4th!

Thanks for the quick reponse, Angie.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joefryfry View Post
    I was there in early August. Food was good, but the viability of the place was pondered in me head.
    130 ish years and still standing, yes? Better than chrome and fake pine pillars afaik, hopefully.

The reputation for good food was what interested me, actually. Not that I drag myself uphill thinking about my next non dehydrated meal, but ....

I see a riverfront campground I can use as a backup, and plan to send the mail drop to the post office.

Okay, something strange. 717-834-6739? I am calling from Virginia, but that should not matter. My call to Rock & Sole Hostel went straight thru.

Not a concern. As long as they're open for dinner when I get there on the 4th!

Thanks for the quick reponse, Angie.

Iceman?

130 ish years and still standing, yes? Better than chrome and fake pine pillars afaik, hopefully.
    I see a riverfront campground I can use as a backup, and plan to send the mail drop to the post office.
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...=1#post2018507

I ran into a thru hiker a week or so ago and asked about the Doyle. He said he didn't go there as there is new hostel in Duncannon that most of the thru hikers were going to. I didn't get a name of the place but it may be worth some research.

Confirming 3B's is still in business when I drove thru three weeks ago, providing quality frozen confections. I thought the tavern at Doyle was good, also, and am hoping to stop by there again after I stump across the Susquehanna.

Quick web search shows nothing near Duncannon other than the Doyle and the railroad junkie friendly Riverside Campground. If I find anything else when I get there on the 4th, I will post it. Thanks!

(Our truck broke down about 30 miles east of Deming many years ago, in June. Not the most enjoyable day of my life. At least Duncannon has a river.)

The reputation for good food was what interested me, actually. Not that I drag myself uphill thinking about my next non dehydrated meal, but ....

I stayed at the riverfront campground. It was $20 for a real camp spot, or $5 to camp in the "AT area", next to the bathrooms. The AT area, I had to choose to pitch my tent under a bunch of widowmakers, or on the gravel. I moved it to the gravel and beat my stakes into the gravel to avoid the trees. Train ran through there a bunch, but it didn't bug me. It was my last night on a LASH so I didnt care. For the Doyle, it wasn't even clear to me if they even let people stay there. I believe if you pressed them to stay, they'd allow you in the basement, but I could be wrong about that. Apparently, there are one or two of them "church" hostels in town that let you stay for free as long as you are willing to put up with some preaching. I wanted to tent on the river anyways.

Yes the trail goes right by a church hostel. I didn't here of any complaints from the hikers that stayed there.

hey folks,
    just want to let you know that i spent 1 night in the doyle on february 1, 1985 hiking south from bear mtn. bridge, ny. at the doyle they charged 7 $ plus 0,42$ tax. i got 2 hot baths in a seperate bathroom with a free standing cast iron bathtub and a clean, heated room for that. later on in the bar some local guys bought me a few beers. i had to promise to send a german version of the erlkönig (erlking, by goethe) in return.
    i do hope the doyle will never go out of business. i had a blast! and i do hope it is under some kind of protection as a historical site.

does anyone know how prices have changed in the meantime and could someone post a picture, please?
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    Yes the trail goes right by a church hostel. I didn't here of any complaints from the hikers that stayed there.
    Do you happen to recall the name of the church? Thanks.

Do you happen to recall the name of the church? Thanks.

http://www.duncannonag.com/hikers-ministry.html

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

There are two hotels just outside of Duncannon that will pick up hikers and drop them back off. Last May I stayed at the Red Lion during my section hike because they had A/C and it was hot out. They shuttled me to a restaurant for dinner and back to the trail the next morning. Nice people 717-834-3320.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I meant Red Carpet Inn, not Red Lion. Sorry.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Duncannon Assembly of God -- great, thank you! Unfortunately closed September 4. I like the minister's comment on the site about being the sermon rather than giving them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    There are two hotels just outside of Duncannon that will pick up hikers and drop them back off. Last May I stayed at the Red Lion during my section hike because they had A/C and it was hot out. They shuttled me to a restaurant for dinner and back to the trail the next morning. Nice people 717-834-3320.
    Thanks, I did see and discard them as an option because I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting rides to and from their locations, did not think to ask if they shuttled. Good to know.

I have to get over wincing when the cheapest rubber-stamped roof in town is over $50, though, plus tax.

++ New Posts ++