WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Like a few others in this thread, my friends and I were planning a 4-5 day section from Springer to Neels Gap starting October 7. Generoll, it sounds like that section of the trail is good enough but did the hiker mention the condition of some of the campsites that others reported on earlier? Does anyone know the state of the forest roads out there? I'm specifically checking in on Woody Gap and also Jarrard Gap/Dicks Creek Road in terms of shuttles being able to make it out there in case my friends have to get off-trail for work.

Has anyone called the folks at Mountain Crossings? They just might have a clue.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I called Mountain Crossings about a week ago, after I had talked to Top of Georgia. Springer to Neels is mostly cleared with perhaps only two blow downs left on the trail. I didn't ask about the state of these side roads, but I would recommend sending a private message to Ron's Appalachian Trail shuttle service on Facebook. He would kbow. A week ago the trail was mostly cleared up towards hogpen Gap, but I read on Ron's page that the clearing was proceeding from Unicoi Gap northbound this week. Both top of Georgia hostel & Mountain Crossings said that by October most things should be cleared up to Dicks Creek Gap, they just emphasized to be more aware of potentially falling branches and for hammockers to be sure of the stability of the trees they tie up to.

Great information. Thanks! Almost makes me want to saddle up and head East.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Posted by GATC earlier:

Hurricane Irma Update: Two weeks out from the storm, the trail condition in Georgia has improved. Volunteer maintainers have been clearing out the trail. The Forest Service has cleared many of the Forest Service roads that provide access to the trail, as well.
    The biggest challenge has been the roughly 45 miles of trail within designated wilderness areas. Crews will be concentrating on those this week and next. Work in wilderness areas require the use of the lowest form of technology, in this case crosscut saws and other low tech tools. Wilderness areas are also generally more remote, doubling the challenges that Club volunteers face to clear them out.
    At this point in time the trail is open, however there will still be challenges for hikers in some areas. Be safe and enjoy your hike!

Ron Brown had the following report on his FB page on 9/25/17: "from Darleen Jarman: "Crews are still working. Hightower to Woody is mostly clear. Lance Creek area is clear. There have been others out north of Springer and north of Dicks Creek. Others are going out this week north of Unicoi." "Springer to Hightower is clear."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++