WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default !00 Mile Wilderness access

Can someone tell me how many of the dirt / gravel roads mention in AWOL'S guide are accessible by a 4 wheel drive vehicle? I'm aware of Katahdin Ironworks Rd. and Jo-Mary Rd. What about North Pond Tote Rd, Big Wilson Tote Rd., and Bodfish Farm/Long Pond Tote Rd.? Thanks, Iceman

Journal Entries

I'd suggest you call the people who actually shuttle people in and out of the HMW. Maybe the AT Lodge in Millinocket: 207-723-4321. Or Shaw's in Monson (sorry, don't have their number on me).

Images

Hey Iceman! I just finished the HMW today and agree with illabelle. The folks at Shaws and the AT Lodge know all those many in's and out's. We used Shaw's for some and I'm at the AT Lodge till Monday.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Hey Iceman! I just finished the HMW today and agree with illabelle. The folks at Shaws and the AT Lodge know all those many in's and out's. We used Shaw's for some and I'm at the AT Lodge till Monday.
    Hi Rainman Glad you had a successful hike through the wilderness. I am going to slack pack a friend who is thru hiking a few days in the southern part of the wilderness. I'll check with Shaw's and also Phil at 100 mile wilderness outfitters. Leaving early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    Can someone tell me how many of the dirt / gravel roads mention in AWOL'S guide are accessible by a 4 wheel drive vehicle? I'm aware of Katahdin Ironworks Rd. and Jo-Mary Rd. What about North Pond Tote Rd, Big Wilson Tote Rd., and Bodfish Farm/Long Pond Tote Rd.? Thanks, Iceman
    get a delorme https://www.amazon.com/Maine-Atlas-G.../dp/089933282X

with 4wd you can go anywhere up to the areas that show bridge out on the maps...make sure your delorme is this years, the road conditions change on an annual basis depending on logging operations or lack thereof.

be aware some of the roads are active with logging, the logging trucks have the right of way (they own the road). also some roads you need to stop at a gatehouse and pay a fee for road access.

++ New Posts ++