WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rectangular 20* bag

Looking for recommendations:
    20* rated bag for use at 40* and above
    rectangular or semi shape(I like my room)
    under 32oz
    full zipper
    - optional: would be nice to have pad strap/sleeve to keep on pad
    - pillow pocket

I've read the 2017 Backpacker best of review and looked at EE, Kammok, Western Mountaineering and Thermarest (lets forget these are mostly not rectangular)and excepting the EE I've pretty much gotten frozen out from the price.

That is a pretty tall order at that weight considering you are not liking the prices of the EE, WM, etc. My 19* bag is a very slim mummy REI Igneo (my exact model is no longer available) is at 29oz and is/was on the more affordable side of the pricing when I bought it on sale at around $250. I think you may be looking for a unicorn. Good luck on your search.

We have 2 Igneos in the family and they are quite nice. Western Mountaineering has some rectangular option but, they aren't cheap.

Just to clarify, I said the EE was the only one whose price wasn't an issue. Since then I see the Nemo Salsa 15(and 35) is a good match except 3-6oz heavier than I'd like but I know my wish is going to need some comprimising.
    The Igneo is a nice bag, and on a couple "best of lists" but its pretty far from my rectangle ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    That is a pretty tall order at that weight considering you are not liking the prices of the EE, WM, etc. My 19* bag is a very slim mummy REI Igneo (my exact model is no longer available) is at 29oz and is/was on the more affordable side of the pricing when I bought it on sale at around $250. I think you may be looking for a unicorn. Good luck on your search.

Just to clarify, I said the EE was the only one whose price wasn't an issue. Since then I see the Nemo Salsa 15(and 35) is a good match except 3-6oz heavier than I'd like but I know my wish is going to need some comprimising.
    The Igneo is a nice bag, and on a couple "best of lists" but its pretty far from my rectangle ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Looking for recommendations:
    20* rated bag for use at 40* and above
    rectangular or semi shape(I like my room)
    under 32oz
    full zipper
    - optional: would be nice to have pad strap/sleeve to keep on pad
    - pillow pocket

I've read the 2017 Backpacker best of review and looked at EE, Kammok, Western Mountaineering and Thermarest (lets forget these are mostly not rectangular)and excepting the EE I've pretty much gotten frozen out from the price.
    Check the EE quilt for sale here at WhiteBlaze.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thanks for the heads up Wayne but just the fact he's selling to go back to a bag tells me I don't want to jump into quilts without making sure I'd like it.
    ..fact is bags have left me wishing for more warmth on the pad side. I now use a BA Tricore which has multiple warmth barriers rated up to an R7 so I'm hoping that will keep the dirt side warm but I've not tested it in cold weather so the jury is still out.
    I'm pretty sure there are several aspects of quilts I wont like, although they clearly have advantages for use in warm weather.
    And lastly the EE size chart shows the LONG/WIDE Revelation as a 13L pack size- that just wont work for me...even 7L is stretching it- yes I know that is pretty small for 20* bags...but I'm using a 50L pack so going 3x over my current 2L bag will start to cause problems.

I do like quilt for warmer weather, but got a WM for colder situations. I will be getting another EE quilt for warmer, or maybe just keep what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Wayne but just the fact he's selling to go back to a bag tells me I don't want to jump into quilts without making sure I'd like it.
    ..fact is bags have left me wishing for more warmth on the pad side. I now use a BA Tricore which has multiple warmth barriers rated up to an R7 so I'm hoping that will keep the dirt side warm but I've not tested it in cold weather so the jury is still out.
    I'm pretty sure there are several aspects of quilts I wont like, although they clearly have advantages for use in warm weather.
    And lastly the EE size chart shows the LONG/WIDE Revelation as a 13L pack size- that just wont work for me...even 7L is stretching it- yes I know that is pretty small for 20* bags...but I'm using a 50L pack so going 3x over my current 2L bag will start to cause problems.
    My down 20° EE is not 13L you must b looking at a synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    My down 20° EE is not 13L you must b looking at a synthetic
    I stand corrected the down Reg wide 20° does come w a 13L stuff sack. It gets crushed smaller in the bottom of my pack. I don't think any 20° bag or quilt would pack smaller

I think we are both right: I just figured out that stuff sack size IS different than compressed size. I'd guess thats what you were referring to- packed it is smaller than stuff size and what I meant to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I stand corrected the down Reg wide 20° does come w a 13L stuff sack. It gets crushed smaller in the bottom of my pack. I don't think any 20° bag or quilt would pack smaller

Your pack is 50L that is a good size bag. Should hold a 20° bag or quilt and all your things if going light weight.

Decided to compromise on the temperature rating and based on ready nearly every user review I could find, the Nemo Disco 30 is my choice. From the reviews it seems those bags that Nemo made and makes with seams across the bags garner nearly all the complaints about warmth. The bags with lenght wise seams got few complaints.
    Going to DC tomorrow to pick it up as REI is nearly out of them and only a few stores have them in stock.

Decided to compromise on the temperature rating and based on ready nearly every user review I could find, the Nemo Disco 30 is my choice. From the reviews it seems those bags that Nemo made and makes with seams across the bags garner nearly all the complaints about warmth. The bags with lenght wise seams got few complaints.
    Going to DC tomorrow to pick it up as REI is nearly out of them and only a few stores have them in stock.

Not seams per se, but the stitching holding the baffle netting. I can count on the fingers of one hand the companies using vertical baffles. Hey, if it works it works. You've got a year to test in the real world. Take your pack. Make sure the bag fits.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Thanks for the clarification, I did not know what to call them. I doubt there is any thing special about the Nemo vertical baffles, I'm just hoping there is some construction/design situation which has been remedied or improved in the vertical baffle bags.

REI gives you a year to find the good and the bad. Thanksgiving to Mardi Gras will find the low temperature that the bag will allow you to sleep comfortably.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

REI was a no brainer as the only other option was to order online- Annapolis has gone in the last 5 years or so from having HTO, EMS and Bass Pro in town(all at the same time too) to nothing with only REI 20 miles away. While a pain to get to, having the REI flagship store in DC as a backup is nice too. For DC, I drive to a Metro station then a 30 minute ride with one line change puts me 300' from REI's front door and the cost was the same as driving in and paying to park- and a lot easier than trying to find parking for 20'+ van.

After spending a morning in the Disco, I think I made the right choice at least compared to my Jungle bag, orders of magnitude warmer, just enough room to move around easily, pack size is only about 1L more and including a compression sack its a 10oz weight increase. I think theres plenty room for even a down liner so I should be able to extend the minimum temperature a lot if needed and I'd rather do that try to deal with an effective very low temp bag in warm weather.

Sounds good.
    As for supplemental down, a 30 or 40 degree down comforter on top OUTSIDE the bag will be warmer. Before you go to that extreme, I spread my down vest (or jacket if that's what you have) over my torso. Don't wear it. Works like a charm for several degrees of extra comfort.
    Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++