WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kbstock View Post
    I figured I'd use one of my tent stakes...they are pointed and v-shaped. Worked in the back yard....
    Cool... as long as you've got a plan. Too many times when the subject comes up, someone invariable claims to "just use the heal of my boot", which in most places means they are NOT digging a proper 6" hole. One thing to keep in mind is that you might find the woods to be very different than your back yard. I know that in the Smokies where I frequent, there's almost no where you can't start digging without running into a mess of roots you have to find a way to cut through. More than once I've had to abandon one dig and try again somewhere else.

If you've only just collected all your gear, I would strongly suggest a weekend camp trip... one or two nights... just as a quick shakedown to help judge if you've got all the right equipment before you jump right in with a 60 trip.

Journal Entries

Thanks Crossup....I've considered the convertible pants but I've heard there are some out there that the zippers on the legs will rub you raw...What do you recommend?
    I have two pair of convertibles, and won't wear them for that very reason.

As you may have figured out by now, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Clothing needs will be different depending on age, gender, body fat, equipment, and experience level. A very experienced hiker may be able to walk along the edge of the hypothermia cliff. A newby shouldn't go near it.

I am headed to central Virginia in mid-October, and again in late November. Both are 3-day trips. Unless the forecast dictates otherwise, I expect to hike in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt. I might carry a second shirt because it's not heavy, and I hate putting on a wet shirt in the morning - even though I know the shirt will be saturated in sweat before long.
    For bed I change into clean dry underwear, long johns, and a long-sleeved shirt. I'm usually a cold sleeper, so I'll bring my down jacket and fleece vest into the bag with me, using them like small blankets.

Good advice here. I turned 75 on a mostly "thru" in SNP.
    Though not clothes related, I suggest a set of trekking poles.
    With rocks and hills they were an immense help in propelling up hills
    and steadying myself on rocks and easing down hills and rocks, preserves knees.

You have someone to hike with. Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There are "NO CAMPING" signs posted at Mary's rock. DO NOT CAMP THERE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!
    Byrd's Nest Shelter......

Journal Entries
    Images

I am not sure about the weight of the clothes you suggested. Typically for section hikes, you can monitor the weather and change clothes in or out depending on the forecast temperature. There are links available with the GPS of the shelter areas, to use to check the weather. (See the shelter forum on this website for the list.) As others have said, use your raincoat to keep you warm at night, AND have a complete lightweight dry set of clothes for camp. You may not need anything else (you can put the damp clothes back on top of the dry ones if it gets really cold). Change into it at night, so you are dry, and not sweaty, even if you don't feel it. This will help keep you warm. In the morning, change into the wet smelly clothes again. One more note, for the weight and use, I never hike anymore without a compass. I once took a blue trail off the AT and was lost in the woods for 2 1/2 hours. Since then, I improved my map reading and compass skills. Yes, the AT is fairly clear, especially in SNP, but for what it is worth, that is my opinion. Your plan sounds wonderful. SNP is the easiest terrain I have hiked on the AT, with its fair share of elevation changes. Have great time.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Cool... as long as you've got a plan. Too many times when the subject comes up, someone invariable claims to "just use the heal of my boot", which in most places means they are NOT digging a proper 6" hole. One thing to keep in mind is that you might find the woods to be very different than your back yard. I know that in the Smokies where I frequent, there's almost no where you can't start digging without running into a mess of roots you have to find a way to cut through. More than once I've had to abandon one dig and try again somewhere else.

If you've only just collected all your gear, I would strongly suggest a weekend camp trip... one or two nights... just as a quick shakedown to help judge if you've got all the right equipment before you jump right in with a 60 trip.
    Exactly right. I found no place on the AT where I didn't have to dig through roots and rocks. Definitely need a sharp titanium shovel. A couple have been mentioned on Whiteblaze. I have Qiwiz's Big Dig.

Coming from someone who just did 7 days when it was colder in the mornings, I would make sure you have spare socks. Putting on dry socks is an amazing feeling. I was not prepared as I thought for the rain and found out I didn't like my pancho. Make sure you like what your taking ahead of time, I never tried the pancho because I knew I would only have it at camp and at breaks. But even for that it was annoying

Thanks Crossup....I've considered the convertible pants but I've heard there are some out there that the zippers on the legs will rub you raw...What do you recommend?
    I like exofficio zip pants. Mine are about 10 years old, comfy and practical, and not shorty shorts when legs are zipped off. Light colors are good for spotting ticks and burrs, dark colors are good for hiding dirt. Whatever fits well is the right pant for you, keep on the loose side. Enjoy your trip!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Exactly right. I found no place on the AT where I didn't have to dig through roots and rocks. Definitely need a sharp titanium shovel. A couple have been mentioned on Whiteblaze. I have Qiwiz's Big Dig.
    Ditto.
    But just as often, its so rocky just below an inch of dirt its impossible to dig ...with even a sharp trowel.

site selection is the key. I look under bushes, where organic matter is thick and deep. open areas without plants...are likely open for a reason. Rocks under a thin dirt veneer. Nothing grows.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There are "NO CAMPING" signs posted at Mary's rock. DO NOT CAMP THERE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!
    True. Not right at Marys Rock. Should be able to camp somewhere legally south of there. If necessary, the previous shelter area which features a few tentsites.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by withBerserker View Post
    Assuming you are from VA or have lived here a while you know the deal in October. It can get pretty cold or remain quite warm...you won't know until right before you go. I personally carry a whole extra change of clothes. It's heavier, but putting on clean dry stuff to hang in camp and sleep in just works so much better for me. Some folks just bring the clothes they are wearing and that may be fine for them, but in real life one sweats and it rains...it's pretty miserable sitting around in camp and going to sleep in wet clothing...been there done that. So what you are proposing sounds reasonable.

As for carrying less of the "fear related items", just remember that it's pretty easy to bail in SNP since the AT is right next to Skyline drive all the way through there. You may even want to consider driving 2 cars up there if you are going with someone else, and then you can park them so that you get to one in a day or two and move them as needed...just a thought.
    If you are pitching the trowel then please bury your "stuff". I assume you intended to do that already, but if not then you need to. There are many options for lightweight trowels if you don't want to use a tent stake or whatever some of folks use. I personally use the Big Dig (titanium, weighs 0.6 oz) made by QiWiz who is on this site (no affiliation...I just really like the trowel). And note that a trowel is a far superior implement for digging a hole compared to other options...I don't care what those who say the heel of the boot, tent stake or whatever other method allegedly works, they don't work as well as a trowel. I can dig a nice deep cylindrical hole in like 20 seconds with my trowel...try doing that with a boot heel or a tent stake...those just don't work that well.
    Congratulations on meeting part of your goal, and have fun with the rest of it.
    Agree, Both April and October are big question marks in SNP, weather-wise. Could be wintry, could be summery. Most likely somewhere in between with a real possibility of night temps below 40 and some rain mixed in.

SNP backcountry camping rules, if in doubt, call them.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They do make pants that the legs zip off and you have just the shorts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++