WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 60 miles for 60 year old woman...Shenandoah Nation Park

Hi all....first time posting...but I've been lurking a bit. Quite a bit...

In honor of turning 60 last year, I thought it would be cool to get in shape by doing my own little "triathlon"....60 mile bike ride, 60 miles of kayaking, and then a 60 mile hike on the AT. The first two legs of this "tri" are behind me...
    The hike starts on Oct. 6. WOW.... and yes, I'm a NOOB....

I've been training hard...and gearing up wisely (thanks to you folks) My base weight is 17 pounds. I'll be accompanied by a dear friend who has sectioned hiked over half the AT. We'll be camping (not a fan of any place infested with mice).... Starting at Blackrock Gap and then NOBO to Thornton Gap, spending the last night on Mary's Rock.
    I've scrutinized every piece of gear...literally weighed stuff on a chef' scale...actually decided which bra, which watch,which shirt, which this or that to bring based on weight...done the whole debate thing in my head regarding weight versus comfort versus budget..... Have tried valiantly not to pack out of fear (e.g., do I REALLY need to bring 20 bandages, 60 ibuprofen, surgical gauze, 40 water proof matches etc). I've carefully estimated how much TP to bring,( took the cardboard tube out), pitched the sanitation trowel (its with the gardening stuff now, lol), took the brain off my backpack, decided I won't need a lensactic compass, my Kindle, etc etc. Seriously....I've learned SO much from this forum....

So here's my question...
    October can be a challenging month to dress for here in VA. Very cool in the mornings, then warm in the afternoon. Its lovely, but its irksome. I'm wanting to pack only one pair of shorts, one pair of pants, one short sleeve and one long sleeve base layer. I have purchased a really nice Outdoor Research hooded jacket thats incredibly light and warm, and Marmot Precip rain gear. My initial thought is that I would hike in the shorts, then change into the long pants once we set up camp. Am I bringing enough clothing?

Thanks for your insights!

k

Garlic
    Images

Without seeing the jacket and base layers, it sounds like enough. You can always bail out into the sleeping bag if you get a cold campsite. Remember, it's critical to keep your insulation dry, and to keep yourself hydrated and fed. That's where experience counts more than the gear.

Consider finding long pants that are comfortable to hike in, and leave the shorts at home. Pants will protect you better from insects, poison plants, and sun, and may lead to leaving more stuff at home.

Good job re-thinking the first aid kit. A snack-sized baggie is enough for most.

PS: My birthday challenge to myself since I turned 60 will be to cycle my age on my birthday, without any special training or planning--just go out and do it. I hope to make it to 80 that way, at least. I'm curious where the break point will be.

Good luck on your hike, and congratulations on getting the other 60's done(kayaking and biking). I'm sure someone will chime in soon with clothing opinions, I just wanted to wish you luck! It sounds like a neat goal.

Pringles

I've hiked that section and live n VA, that time of year is tricky WX-wise. While hiking you'll be warm, the OR jacket will work well for breaks/lunch stops. Plus the rain gear is an extra layer if needed. In camp you can also use your sleeping quilt/bag to help stay warm if the temps drop or you get one of those cold wet Virginia evenings.

The most important thing is to know your body, know your gear, and know how well the two work together for the predicted WX conditions. September should give you a few similar days to test things out.

I've camped out in my VA backyard to test gear down to the low 20's, figured it was better to learn what works/doesn't work there then out in the backcountry.

Congrats on your tri, it's awesome what you're doing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbstock View Post
    Hi all....first time posting...but I've been lurking a bit. Quite a bit...

In honor of turning 60 last year, I thought it would be cool to get in shape by doing my own little "triathlon"....60 mile bike ride, 60 miles of kayaking, and then a 60 mile hike on the AT. The first two legs of this "tri" are behind me...
    The hike starts on Oct. 6. WOW.... and yes, I'm a NOOB....

I've been training hard...and gearing up wisely (thanks to you folks) My base weight is 17 pounds. I'll be accompanied by a dear friend who has sectioned hiked over half the AT. We'll be camping (not a fan of any place infested with mice).... Starting at Blackrock Gap and then NOBO to Thornton Gap, spending the last night on Mary's Rock.
    I've scrutinized every piece of gear...literally weighed stuff on a chef' scale...actually decided which bra, which watch,which shirt, which this or that to bring based on weight...done the whole debate thing in my head regarding weight versus comfort versus budget..... Have tried valiantly not to pack out of fear (e.g., do I REALLY need to bring 20 bandages, 60 ibuprofen, surgical gauze, 40 water proof matches etc). I've carefully estimated how much TP to bring,( took the cardboard tube out), pitched the sanitation trowel (its with the gardening stuff now, lol), took the brain off my backpack, decided I won't need a lensactic compass, my Kindle, etc etc. Seriously....I've learned SO much from this forum....

So here's my question...
    October can be a challenging month to dress for here in VA. Very cool in the mornings, then warm in the afternoon. Its lovely, but its irksome. I'm wanting to pack only one pair of shorts, one pair of pants, one short sleeve and one long sleeve base layer. I have purchased a really nice Outdoor Research hooded jacket thats incredibly light and warm, and Marmot Precip rain gear. My initial thought is that I would hike in the shorts, then change into the long pants once we set up camp. Am I bringing enough clothing?

Thanks for your insights!

k
    Honestly, your bringing too much.

All you need are the clothes on your back.

Anything else is extra. Thats ok, just dont fool yourself that you "need" it. Need, and want, are totally different. Learn to rigorously and honestly discern between your needs and your wants. It makes decisions clearer and easier.

Have rainpants? Then dont need long pants for evening.

It may or may not be cool enough to need base layers. Just depends. You can make that call a week out. Your going to be out a couple days. Waysides sell clothing too, and your seldom more than 100 yds from well travelled road , in peak season.
    Theres no more benign place to hike than snp. Dont pack a bunch of fears, theres literally nothing that can go wrong.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-19-2017 at 08:56.

Sounds like you're well prepared. A bit will depend on how much of each day you spend hiking, and what time you stroll into the camp in the evening. If you wake early, and put in all your miles and arrive at camp early, you'll certainly appreciate the long pants, dry socks, and the jacket. If you wake late when it's warmed up a bit, linger for an hour at lunch in the sunshine and arrive late afternoon at dusk, you might find yourself crawling into your tent a lot sooner. (I still recommend a long stop at lunch time to air out your feet.)

Bring the clothes, better off having them, instead of having to dash into the tent and being unable to socialize because you're cold. Don't skimp on the toilet paper, it's a fun hike, not a forced march.

Have fun!

Extra clothes to change into at the end of the day are not a luxury in my opinion. When you are soaked to the skin by rain or sweat or both, spare dry clothes can be a lifesaver.

I've no experience(leaving this saturday to get some ) so just take this as something to consider: when confronted with the same clothing choice I decide to go with 2 pair of convertable pants. My logic is that gives me dry clothes regardless of weather for the evening(and since I'm spending a week, a way to be able to wash them) and covers the temperature change without having to actually change clothes. Add a base layer and you should be good from 40s up.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Extra clothes to change into at the end of the day are not a luxury in my opinion. When you are soaked to the skin by rain or sweat or both, spare dry clothes can be a lifesaver.
    A rubber chicken can be a lifesaver in certain situations. So can a 4 season shelter.

A necessary part of hiking, is managing yourself, and avoiding situations that would require things you dont have. Doing that, precludes needing to carry them.

Besides, you always have ability to strip wet clothing and get into insulation. As such dry clothing....is merely a convenience. Thats OK. Some conveniences are nice to have, if you are willing to carry them.

My biggest convenience is bug netting. I sleep relaxed with my gear contained and crawling things excluded. Totally mental, but im willing to carry it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-19-2017 at 09:35.

Images

Many people have camped at Mary Rock, but I do not think it is allowed. You should research this with someone who knows, not a random ranger who says no.
    I want to say something cynical about the NPS bear policy, but it is successful at putting people in danger. Make sure you are not part of the problem. Carry a bear canister or learn to hang well before your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    I've no experience(leaving this saturday to get some ) so just take this as something to consider: when confronted with the same clothing choice I decide to go with 2 pair of convertable pants. My logic is that gives me dry clothes regardless of weather for the evening(and since I'm spending a week, a way to be able to wash them) and covers the temperature change without having to actually change clothes. Add a base layer and you should be good from 40s up.
    This. At the very least, top-to-bottom base layer and socks that are kept clean and dry by all means, to be worn only at camp and while sleeping. These items, plus your tent and sleeping bag, are your ultimate hedge against hypothermia.

Another item I always carry these days is a wool or synthetic flannel shirt. Serves roughly the same purpose as a fleece or down jacket, but is light enough to be worn while hiking if needed, eg. early in the morning or in the late afternoon or evening when it gets chilly.

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    Many people have camped at Mary Rock, but I do not think it is allowed. You should research this with someone who knows, not a random ranger who says no.
    There is, or used to be, a small flat spot up there, big enough for one or two small tents. Whether it's legal or not, I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    A rubber chicken can be a lifesaver in certain situations.... .
    HA! Now that's just funny...

Ms. KBStock, to your question, you'll be fine with what you have. Of course you'll check the weather channel the day before you leave, and if the forecast calls for heavy snow and high winds, then add a bit; if it's for 3-4 days of temps nearing 90, maybe carry a bit less. Enjoy!

After years of planning (and making excuses) I finally did my first section hike this summer. Like you, I had a milestone birthday and decided that enough was enough and that I was going to go no matter what. And like you, I learned a LOT from this forum. I spent months weighing my gear and food and making adjustements. I thought I had everything figured out, then I packed my pack. Geeeeeez! Did it ever get full fast. Once the basic necessities - food and shelter - were in there, there wasn't much space left for clothes so I had to make choices and leave a lot of stuff at home.

So here's what I brought :
    The clothes on my back
    Clean underwear & socks
    Merino wool long sleeve top and under pants to be worn as pyjamas
    Rain jacket that could be worn if it got cold
    Sandals for water crossings and to be worn in camp

That might not be enough for colder weather (my hike was in the summer) but don't fall in the trap of bringing too much stuff. Maybe a fleece sweater for the daytime (you'll get warm as you walk) and depending on the rating of your sleeping bag and whether you are a cold or a warm sleeper, maybe something a little more substantial for nightime.

Have fun out there!

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    There are "NO CAMPING" signs posted at Mary's rock. DO NOT CAMP THERE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kbstock View Post
    ...pitched the sanitation trowel...
    What's your plan for digging 'cat holes'?

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Assuming you are from VA or have lived here a while you know the deal in October. It can get pretty cold or remain quite warm...you won't know until right before you go. I personally carry a whole extra change of clothes. It's heavier, but putting on clean dry stuff to hang in camp and sleep in just works so much better for me. Some folks just bring the clothes they are wearing and that may be fine for them, but in real life one sweats and it rains...it's pretty miserable sitting around in camp and going to sleep in wet clothing...been there done that. So what you are proposing sounds reasonable.

As for carrying less of the "fear related items", just remember that it's pretty easy to bail in SNP since the AT is right next to Skyline drive all the way through there. You may even want to consider driving 2 cars up there if you are going with someone else, and then you can park them so that you get to one in a day or two and move them as needed...just a thought.

If you are pitching the trowel then please bury your "stuff". I assume you intended to do that already, but if not then you need to. There are many options for lightweight trowels if you don't want to use a tent stake or whatever some of folks use. I personally use the Big Dig (titanium, weighs 0.6 oz) made by QiWiz who is on this site (no affiliation...I just really like the trowel). And note that a trowel is a far superior implement for digging a hole compared to other options...I don't care what those who say the heel of the boot, tent stake or whatever other method allegedly works, they don't work as well as a trowel. I can dig a nice deep cylindrical hole in like 20 seconds with my trowel...try doing that with a boot heel or a tent stake...those just don't work that well.

Congratulations on meeting part of your goal, and have fun with the rest of it.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Thanks Crossup....I've considered the convertible pants but I've heard there are some out there that the zippers on the legs will rub you raw...What do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    What's your plan for digging 'cat holes'?
    I figured I'd use one of my tent stakes...they are pointed and v-shaped. Worked in the back yard....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There are "NO CAMPING" signs posted at Mary's rock. DO NOT CAMP THERE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!
    Byrd's Nest Shelter......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++