WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A DIY Hack - Smart Water Bottle Bladder

I'm old enough that when I started backpacking with an External Frame Pack, we used a canteen, on a sling, to drink from. Other than the weight of two quarts of water in a metal container, it worked! Fast forward to today and the debate of Bladder vs. Smart Water Bottle. Both have pros and cons. I actually use a Bladder for day hikes and the Smart Water Bottle when carrying a pack. The Bottle rides on the shoulder strap on my ULA pack. I love it there, but struggled to undo the cordage when needing a drink vs sucking from a tube like my daypack. I looked into Water Bottle converter products on Amazon, but didn't like the price and wasn't sure I would use it anyway. So instead I created my own method. When hiking, others have seen and asked about my system, so I finally decided to do a video of my hack. I really think it may offer the best of all worlds. Here is the link if interest:

"gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Default A DIY Hack - Smart Water Bottle Bladder

I'd thought about doing something like that, but you actually did it. Great idea.

The only question I have is how does air get in the bottle as you displace the water?

I love it when someone takes 5 minutes to describe a 30-second idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I'd thought about doing something like that, but you actually did it. Great idea.

The only question I have is how does air get in the bottle as you displace the water?
    I have a similar system, just have to leave the cap partially unscrewed, and remember not to leave your pack on it's side. I bought a Blue Desert Smartube system on Amazon, that was supposed to have a little vent. The vent part doesn't work of course, and the mouthpiece was pretty weak, and had to be replaced. The price has gone up recently as well, not sure I'd recommend it.

I didn't build my own, because I couldn't find a cheap local source for food grade tubing, sold in short lengths, and I didn't really want a 30' spool left over. The tubing diameter isn't never mentioned in the video (Well, maybe it is later, but I only watched the ten relevant seconds of the video,) it would have to be pretty narrow to fit through that cap.

There is what cost you $15 more for the fancy store bought one! Lol. However, the Bottle slowly collapses as water is withdraw. So after so many sips, I simply blow air back through the mouthpiece/tube and "pop out" the bottle. The only reason I do this is so that the Bottle doesn't slip from the yellow shock cord holding it to the strap. I'm not sure tthe Bottle could even slip; but I have only drained about 1/2 the Bottle before "back-blowing".

So so far so good.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    True, that's the Educator in me! I lectured for hours until I realized that myself and most others are visual learners. I also am practicing Video Editing and uploading on my phone for my 2018 Thru Hike. So this was great practice.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

The Evernew system has a built-in check valve which solves this problem. It's expensive for what it is, but it doesn't collapse the bottle and never leaks.

41MBc4VmCVL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    The Evernew system has a built-in check valve which solves this problem. It's expensive for what it is, but it doesn't collapse the bottle and never leaks.

I looked on their website and didn't see that product - do you know where to find it? Thx

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

We did this in the 70s and 80s with aquarium tubing and Aunt Jamima syrup bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HighlandsHiker View Post
    I looked on their website and didn't see that product - do you know where to find it? Thx
    Search for "Evernew Hydration Tube"
    Amazon is one among many

Good idea but a still a tube, I find I drink more being able to take a big slug of water straight from the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by English Stu View Post
    Good idea but a still a tube, I find I drink more being able to take a big slug of water straight from the bottle.
    I'm the same way. The flow through a bite valve/tube is far too slow for me, and I am usually breathing too hard to drink in stride anyway. I've yet to find a better option than the used & re-purposed plastic soda bottle. This 1L bottle costs all of 68 cents (US) at WM, and that's with the soda in it to start!

WM Clear Am Water sm.jpg

You can sometimes find them in 0.5L too. Last week I paid $1.78 for four of them.

Journal Entries

Its a straw

On your strap, bottle is close enough to not need large tube diameter, and bite valve to prevent needing to suck large amt air. Just use a......long bendy straw
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-20-2017 at 12:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    It's all about the clicks, baby. Also, way easier to video than take pictures, paste them all in, etc. But also, The Youtube.

I enjoy having to stop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made one with some spare parts I had around. Looking forward to trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I enjoy having to stop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At my age, I still stop too! I usually gulp from an electrolyte bottle at that time. Carry it in a pocket of the pack. Easy out but more difficult to slide back in. I found I stayed better hydrated with access to "water on the go" so to speak.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

++ New Posts ++