WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: New To Hammocks

Images

Default New To Hammocks

So my brother in law gave me his ENO doublenest. I got a Profly rain tarp with it and the tree straps. This next week I'm doing a section hike from Iron Mountain Gap to 19E. I've never hammock camped. Is this a good area to find places to hang? Would a lightweight blanket serve as an underquilt this time of year? It's not supposed to be too cold so I was planning on using this light blanket under me, with a 20 degree bag to sleep in. I sleep pretty warm usually. That actually may be too warm. OR is this too long a trip to hammock for the first time?

Bring a ground pad of some sort as a backup. I needed mine on my last trip, badly. You can use it in the hammock, too, if it gets cold.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Default new to hanging

Check Hammock Forums for bunches of information.

IMO you should try hammock camping in your backyard for at least a night before going off to do it on a section hike. One night in the field is more illuminating than 10 nights reading internet forums.

You should know, as well, that to be effective, an underquilt is suspended underneath the hammock, just touching but not compressed against the underside. You don't lay it in the hammock, or else your body weight compresses the insulation and renders it useless. An alternative to an underquilt is to lay a CCF (closed cell foam) pad inside the hammock. The CCF won't compress much even with your weight on it, and will serve to insulate you from convective heat loss. It's an easier way to get started hammocking because it eliminates the cost and fiddle-factor of underquilts, and many people already have a CCF pad, or can get one cheap.

Most people find that some sort of insulation from underneath is required below temps of 70F. I don't know what your light blanket is like, but I'd not bet on it unless you've tried it at home first in similar temp conditions. Good luck.

Images

Thanks for the info. I'm going to do a test run before I go in the backyard. I also thought about that as well. I have a ridge rest that I'm taking as well in case I have to sleep on the ground, and also was going to use it in my hammock. Should be a fun trip!

Plently of places to hang in this section. But heed warning; it seems Irma did alot of damage between Springer and Damascus. Be very selective of what trees you use to hang from, even if they appear healthy. Look for widow makers too.

Its a great section

Before I got an underquilt I often used auto or truck windshield reflectors inside the hammock. Truck reflectors are wider. I've used these under a quilt in a hammock down to 25 F and slept warm. The windshield reflectors are easier to pack than CCF pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosteppin View Post
    Before I got an underquilt I often used auto or truck windshield reflectors inside the hammock. Truck reflectors are wider. I've used these under a quilt in a hammock down to 25 F and slept warm. The windshield reflectors are easier to pack than CCF pads.
    Any idea how much a truck reflector weights?

This ENO doublenest is durable and I love to use it when doing a day hike. If you want to hike overnight and hang with it, you'll need an extra sleeping pad to stay warm. The sleeping pad is lightweight and I prefer it to a blanket since it's easier to pack outside your hiking bag. Just be careful to select the trees where you hang, good luck to your first journey of hammocking!

Your ridgerest should work fine in the Doublenest ( I use a Thermarest Prolite short in my Singlenest). The 2 spots you won't be able to hang is Beauty Spot or Hump Mtn as they're both balds. I'd also plan to avoid camping at Roan High Knob Shelter, it's typically colder there (at least when I stopped there for lunch years ago).

I used a sheet of Reflectix (same as windshield reflector) and an air pad in my hammock on about a 15F night before I had an under quilt. I wasn't warm but I didn't shiver and managed some decent sleep. I highly recommend, as others, that you take at a minimum a sleeping pad.

SusanLeo

Quote Originally Posted by 2NewKnees View Post
    Would a lightweight blanket serve as an underquilt this time of year? It's not supposed to be too cold so I was planning on using this light blanket under me, with a 20 degree bag to sleep in. I sleep pretty warm usually.
    For this question, I have found an article: Sleep cozy in a winter hammock.
    Hope it helps, mate.

++ New Posts ++