WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

This was posted on the 2017 FB page.

" Stacey joined the Appalachian Trail group that I admin in Feb '16 introducing herself and her plan to thru-hike w these devices that she described as electronic braces. She was helpful and supportive of our other members and participated in discussions on start dates.
    She def had concerns around recharging the batteries but she kind of thought she had a plan. Her biggest concern was how to keep the electronics dry. She explained that they were extremely delicate and would not even be able to be rained on. She was concerned about high humidity as well. Hikers are always helpful to other hikers and our members did their best to come up with helpful suggestions to keep her electronics dry strapped onto the sides of her legs as they were. Some of the suggestions would've meant creating a very sweaty area and she was concerned that even that amount of moisture would be damaging for her electronics and then where would she be?

Stacey announced her start date and so many of our members were eager to follow her but she removed herself as a member and, interestingly enough, all of her posts discussing the delicate nature of her electronics and how they could not ever get even the slightest bit wet.

And as much is our members were excited to follow her, none of them met her on the trail. At least there's no mention of that in our group (I just searched) wait… There is one post by Kelly Ann Who says she ran into her out there on the trail and that Stacey was doing great and should be admired that she was so kind and humble. So they apparently hikes together for a couple of weeks.

That was May 28, 2016 and the next thing we knew there was a announcement about her having summitted Katahdin October

The more I read about this, the sadder I get. I wonder if she realizes how big a support network she could have had from the trail community if she had just asked. Imagine all the folks who would have hiked with her and provided support along her journey if she just had honorable intentions from the get go. Instead she chose a path of deception. It's kind of like stealing something from someone who would have given it to you had you just asked. smh

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    So, a couple of parking lot sightings but no others? There has to be someone out there that would have met her if she hiked the AT in '16 Anyone????? Here's a photo.

Attachment 40372
    You know how somethings just can't pass the smell test? Well, anyone with a nose and a sense of the AT would have smelled the stench of deception miles away from this poseur clown. And, the PCT this season? BWAAAAAAHAAAAHAA!

Seriously, any journalist to fall for this needs to cover something other than the outdoors.

Here's the deal:
    1. She is far slower than a typical hiker. Far. Slower. Yet she completes thru hikes in typical or FASTER than typical times.
    2. These braces aren't nuclear powered...oh...wait...umm.....yeah...there's a bit of a logistical disconnect between battery-powered electrical braces and the wilderness....duh...where does she plug in at night?
    3. They don't work in the wet. Period. Like...oh...rain. That might happen once, maybe twice on an AT thru. Rain.
    4. Vertical. Yeah. Vertical. How do those braces work on the steeps, again? Oh...not enough HP to drag her overweight self(just stating a clearly visible fact) up the Whites or K for that matter? Not. Enough. Horse. Power. She would be better served by a battery operated winch.
    5. Where is her gear? Any pics with her and realistic gear? Like..oh...a backpack with food and water and shelter? And...oh...batteries? Or a battery charger? Or a freaking generator?
    6. All those miles on the AT and only a couple of pictures to show for it. None on top of a mountain. None. No iconic photos. None. And, nobody saw her at such places as Blood Mountain, NOC, Fontana, Hot Springs, Ewing, Damascus, the ATC at Harper's Ferry, nothing. Nothing she couldn't drive to. And even those she could....
    7. Nobody hiked with her for any length of time. Ever. She did this all solo.
    8. Wilderness areas. No motorized equipment in wilderness areas. You don't get to take your motorized wheelchair, you don't get to take your motorized legs. Seriously, did nobody think of this?
    9. Post-holing. Picture it. Enough said.

So, apparently the idea of an editor has vanished from modern journalism. Even 20 years ago, this wouldn't have passed any editor's smell test. Now, everyone jumps on it as the feel-good-story-du-jour. Without even taking a whiff....

I'm waitin' for the final report to come out before I decide.

non-issue. a fraud. next!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    non-issue. a fraud. next!
    Yes, but she is doing many speaking engagements and had a book in the works. But I suspect it is being ghost written by Wildcard Ninja.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by malto View Post
    yes, but she is doing many speaking engagements and had a book in the works. But i suspect it is being ghost written by wildcard ninja.
    :d.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    :d.....................
    You referring to a vaginal cleansing fluid distribution device?

If this is what it looks like... then Ninja ain't got nothin on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    You know how somethings just can't pass the smell test? Well, anyone with a nose and a sense of the AT would have smelled the stench of deception miles away from this poseur clown. And, the PCT this season? BWAAAAAAHAAAAHAA!

Seriously, any journalist to fall for this needs to cover something other than the outdoors.

Here's the deal:
    1. She is far slower than a typical hiker. Far. Slower. Yet she completes thru hikes in typical or FASTER than typical times.
    2. These braces aren't nuclear powered...oh...wait...umm.....yeah...there's a bit of a logistical disconnect between battery-powered electrical braces and the wilderness....duh...where does she plug in at night?
    3. They don't work in the wet. Period. Like...oh...rain. That might happen once, maybe twice on an AT thru. Rain.
    4. Vertical. Yeah. Vertical. How do those braces work on the steeps, again? Oh...not enough HP to drag her overweight self(just stating a clearly visible fact) up the Whites or K for that matter? Not. Enough. Horse. Power. She would be better served by a battery operated winch.
    5. Where is her gear? Any pics with her and realistic gear? Like..oh...a backpack with food and water and shelter? And...oh...batteries? Or a battery charger? Or a freaking generator?
    6. All those miles on the AT and only a couple of pictures to show for it. None on top of a mountain. None. No iconic photos. None. And, nobody saw her at such places as Blood Mountain, NOC, Fontana, Hot Springs, Ewing, Damascus, the ATC at Harper's Ferry, nothing. Nothing she couldn't drive to. And even those she could....
    7. Nobody hiked with her for any length of time. Ever. She did this all solo.
    8. Wilderness areas. No motorized equipment in wilderness areas. You don't get to take your motorized wheelchair, you don't get to take your motorized legs. Seriously, did nobody think of this?
    9. Post-holing. Picture it. Enough said.

So, apparently the idea of an editor has vanished from modern journalism. Even 20 years ago, this wouldn't have passed any editor's smell test. Now, everyone jumps on it as the feel-good-story-du-jour. Without even taking a whiff....
    Regarding #8 a person can take a motorized wheelchair that is suitable for indoor use into wilderness. Not an issue.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

A few years ago, I spotted a guy wearing a shirt that loudly proclaimed "I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail". I eagerly shook his hand, and congratulated him on his thru-hike. His girlfriend responded, "Read it again carefully". Then I noticed the very small letters 'width of the' making the shirt really say "I hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail". Well, heck, I'd done that, too, and we all laughed. Perhaps Stacey simply hiked the entire WIDTH of the AT and PCT.Second theory: "I'm through hiking on the Appalachian Trail" was misheard as "I'm thru-hiking on the Appalachian Trail". Through as in 'had enough'. Then she headed out west to be through with the PCT, too.
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    A few years ago, I spotted a guy wearing a shirt that loudly proclaimed "I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail". I eagerly shook his hand, and congratulated him on his thru-hike. His girlfriend responded, "Read it again carefully". Then I noticed the very small letters 'width of the' making the shirt really say "I hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail". Well, heck, I'd done that, too, and we all laughed. Perhaps Stacey simply hiked the entire WIDTH of the AT and PCT.Second theory: "I'm through hiking on the Appalachian Trail" was misheard as "I'm thru-hiking on the Appalachian Trail". Through as in 'had enough'. Then she headed out west to be through with the PCT, too.
    damn I didt realize it but....I'm a triple crowner!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

As best I can tell, nothing to see here.

AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Ask 10 people who saw the movie, and 9/10 will tell you that Strayed hiked the PCT.
    HA! I won a bet with a woman who read the book AND saw the movie and still thought she hiked the whole thing. I've done neither.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    That's Great

"So how come no one noticed her?"

http://deadspin.com/how-did-no-one-n...e-p-1818647235

Where are the folks who built the mechanism that permitted the thru hiking? By her own admission, the system wasn't weatherproof. Anyone who has spent at least 24 hours in the North Carolina Rain Forest knows about the liquid atmosphere, multi-day rain events, etc.
    I did find a video clip of her facing a rock pile masquerading as a trail shot from behind and she wasn't making any progress. Who shot the video? What did they see?
    And of course there is the obligatory appearance of a national news anchor nearly in tears relating the story.
    Makes you wonder. Hey.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Forget about her....7 people died this year on PCT?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Forget about her....7 people died this year on PCT?

I don't doubt that. I knew of one woman earlier this year, May I believe? And another woman who died on Mt. Whitney in May. Is that on the PCT?
    You're right. Enough said.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++