WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Proofing the A.T. Guide Question?

Has anyone ever waterproofed their A.T. Guide? I used Mapseal on several USGS maps and it worked quite well. I'm considering using it on my copy of the A.T. Guide and was wondering if anyone else has ever tried this?

Images

Yes, just returned from two weeks in Maine. Rained one entire day. I photocopied AT Guide pages, front-to-back, 4-to-1, and waterproofed the copies. Very effective.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Ziplock does my waterproofing

Of course i only carry about 100 miles at time

Usually photcopied front and back on 11x17

I also keep the pages I use during my section hike in a Ziplock bag but between sweating and rain the pages tend to get wet. I'll be using the Mapseal to see how that works.

Used a ziplock. Only pulled it out in dry weather, tents and shelters. Ran into numerous hikers with soggy, deteriorating copies of questionable readability. Seems well worth the effort to keep it dry.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Used a ziplock. Only pulled it out in dry weather, tents and shelters. Ran into numerous hikers with soggy, deteriorating copies of questionable readability. Seems well worth the effort to keep it dry.
    I use ziplocks as well.

If you turn the part you need to see to face the surface...you...dont....have....to ....take ....it ....out ....in ....the ....rain.

Eventually it falls apart after a week or so of being crammed in pocket, regardless ,even staying dry.

Used AWOL,got the unbound version,it comes with a ziplock. Put the days page on top,no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I use ziplocks as well.

If you turn the part you need to see to face the surface...you...dont....have....to ....take ....it ....out ....in ....the ....rain.

Eventually it falls apart after a week or so of being crammed in pocket, regardless ,even staying dry.
    QFT

Before each day, I rearrange the photocopied pages inside the ziploc bag so that I don't have to open the bag during the day.

After about a week of riding in my cargo pocket, the bag tends to start failing at the seam... perhaps that's the generic ziplocs? Since I usually only do about a week at a time, it hasn't been an issue.

Take pictures of the pages with your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Take pictures of the pages with your phone.
    And then look at the pictures in the rain? I think not.

I took apart my AWOL guide and stapled together the pages for the various sections I was going to hike. MD/PA, NJ/NY, CT/MA, VT/NH. It rained a lot in PA, so those pages got a little moldy. But it was easier to deal with these "mini" guides in a zip lock then using the whole intact book.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    And then look at the pictures in the rain? I think not.
    I took apart my AWOL guide and stapled together the pages for the various sections I was going to hike. MD/PA, NJ/NY, CT/MA, VT/NH. It rained a lot in PA, so those pages got a little moldy. But it was easier to deal with these "mini" guides in a zip lock then using the whole intact book.
    Should be dry enough under your umbrella. Also, the small, skinny AT Data Book is all you need.

How much frequent map reading do you really need to do on the AT? Pics on the phone work fine.

I used my tablet, 8", with a pdf of AWOL as well as Guthook's AT app, and had no trouble in rain or snow. The size is just right on a tablet, on a phone the writing was too small. It was in a waterproof case and under an umbrella, when raining.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I use a ziplock quart size. Each night I change out the pages I will need the next day, so like others, I don't have to take them out of the ziplock. Kept it in my front pocket and had no issues. Changed the ziplock out about every two weeks, so on a section hike that shouldn't be an issue.

++ New Posts ++