WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Deli Jerky?

Default Deli Jerky?

Anyone ever try making jerky using deli meats such as roast beef, London broil, pastrami, meats like that? I realize meats like bologna's are not a good choice.

Just make some and find out.
    The historical meat of choice is a lean round steak trimmed of fat and run through the butcher's tenderizer machine a few times and cut across the grain. There are recipes and directions online. Or in my personal library.
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

South Africans can make jerky using leather boots. Look up the word biltong on internet

I make about 9 butts of jerky a month. Dehydrate them 3 at a time , vacuum seal and sell locally. I have a quick recipe and a fancy version of it I am happy to share.
    Simple: 1 bottle of Dales steak Sauce and 1 tablespoon of cayenne per lbs of beef you are using. 1.5 tablespoons if you really like the hot stuff.
    Mix your Dales and pepper prior to adding strips of meat in a large mixing bowl, stir in your strips of meat and let sit overnight. Next morning, ready to dehydrate.

Fancy: Take above recipe and add a fine minced green and red bell pepper, a red or yellow onion, tablespoon of minced garlic.

I have played with about 10 different recipes and I have never heard a bad review of the Simple above.

Drying times differ per machine, meat thickness, so you have to play with that. But I use a 2 timer, 2 heat setting machine.

I cook on high for about 7 hours, and then on low for about 3 hours. Tinder but not completely dry.

Add a paper towel to your Ziploc back or vacuum sealed bag, it will pull moisture out of your jerky
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 09-25-2017 at 14:54.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Gambit, how much is per pound price?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I make about 9 butts of jerky a month. Dehydrate them 3 at a time , vacuum seal and sell locally. I have a quick recipe and a fancy version of it I am happy to share.
    Simple: 1 bottle of Dales steak Sauce and 1 tablespoon of cayenne per lbs of beef you are using. 1.5 tablespoons if you really like the hot stuff.
    Mix your sales and pepper prior to adding strips of meat in a large mixing bowl, stir in your strips of meat and let sit overnight. Next morning, ready to dehydrate.

Fancy: Take above recipe and add a fine minced green and red bell pepper, a red or yellow onion, tablespoon of minced garlic.

I have played with about 10 different recipes and I have never heard a bad review of the Simple above.

Drying times differ per machine, meat thickness, so you have to play with that. But I use a 2 timer, 2 heat setting machine.

I cook on high for about 7 hours, and then on low for about 3 hours. Tinder but not completely dry.

Add a paper towel to your Ziploc back or vacuum sealed bag, it will pull moisture out of your jerky
    One thing I noticed about the southern AT was that there was a variety of local cheap plentiful tasty jerky for sale. Even the brand names were cheaper, I'd assume to compete with you local guys. By the time I got back home, it was back to the standard stupid high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    Gambit, how much is per pound price?
    $40/ LBS of eye of round beef - cut fajita style 1/4inch thick . I sell it in either a ziplock bag, 1 vacuum sealed bag, or 2- 1/2 lbs vacuum sealed bags.
    (This is not an advertisement) lol

$40/ LBS of eye of round beef - cut fajita style 1/4inch thick . I sell it in either a ziplock bag, 1 vacuum sealed bag, or 2- 1/2 lbs vacuum sealed bags.
    (This is not an advertisement) lol
    That's good price. I use Nesco Gardenmaster 1000w dehydrator. You mentioned you do 7 hrs and 3 hrs with different temps. Funny, my dehydrator gets it done in 4 hrs at 160F even with 12 trays but jerkeys a bit dry tho. I notice Costco Kirkland brand beef jerkeys are really moist and don't know how they do it. What's your ways to keep them moist? Do you add any perspectives to make them last longer?

That's good price. I use Nesco Gardenmaster 1000w dehydrator. You mentioned you do 7 hrs and 3 hrs with different temps. Funny, my dehydrator gets it done in 4 hrs at 160F even with 12 trays but jerkeys a bit dry tho. I notice Costco Kirkland brand beef jerkeys are really moist and don't know how they do it. What's your ways to keep them moist? Do you add any perspectives to make them last longer?
    Hotter the air, the dryer it gets faster. Using a lower temp for longer, still pulls the moisture out on the outside but keeps some moisture in the inside of the meat. If some one is going to eat my jerky quickly, say within the first few weeks then I don't mind putting it in a zip with paper towel. But if they only snack on it every once in a while then I suggest multiple vacuum bags and stow in the freezer until ready to eat.

Hotter the air, the dryer it gets faster. Using a lower temp for longer, still pulls the moisture out on the outside but keeps some moisture in the inside of the meat. If some one is going to eat my jerky quickly, say within the first few weeks then I don't mind putting it in a zip with paper towel. But if they only snack on it every once in a while then I suggest multiple vacuum bags and stow in the freezer until ready to eat.
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Im going to try your recipe this weekend.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
    Its kind of like adding water to a mountain house meal, easier to add more then it is to take it away. Put it on for X amount of hours and then check, not quite dry enough? put on for another 2 hours. Ill do a Walkthru video next time I make it. Once you get your own setup down pat it runs like clock work from there on.

I run an Excalibur 9 tray. Leaving for a 16 day trip thru the mid Atlantic Friday so it will be end of October before I make another batch.

++ New Posts ++