WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Not gonna lie, I really appreciated the few times somebody etched "JMT N <-> S" into some of the signs along the JMT. There were some junctions that would have been mighty vague otherwise.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Not gonna lie, I really appreciated the few times somebody etched "JMT N <-> S" into some of the signs along the JMT. There were some junctions that would have been mighty vague otherwise.
    I don't think this thread is complaining about people who "improve" a trail sign by adding an indication which way the AT goes.

After all, the article the OP linked to speaks of "scratching out the names of the trails the AT runs along".

It show a lot of disrespect when someone scratches out the name of a local trail and attempts to replace it with "AT". After all, as someone pointed out, the AT actually owes its existence to these trails that were linked together to create the AT.

It also shows a lot of disrespect when someone scratches over the lettering on a sign with AT symbols... as if the suggest the AT is a more important trail.

But I think it was unfortunate that the article included a picture of the "RAWFORD PATH" sign. It simply makes too much sense to utilize the extra space on the sign to include an indication that this trail is also the AT trail. Actually, I think it would have made a beautiful sign if the original creators would have included the AT symbol on each end of the sign like the "vandals" attempted. I don't understand why the creators of such signs don't include these kinds of indicators when they KNOW they are putting up these signs along major well know trails.

[Soap Box]
    When I hiked the JMT, I was quite disappointed in the lack of JMT signs... especially in Yosemite National Park. At times it felt like they didn't want to acknowledge that the JMT was even there? Off hand, the only signs I recall seeing in YNP were the ones at the trailhead letting you know the JMT is 210 long, and a sign indicating the split between JMT and Mist Trail, and a sign along the road in Tuolumene Meadows that indicated the JMT was up ahead (even though according to National Geo, the road IS the official JMT trail in the area).
    [/Soap Box]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++