WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Thanks Raging Hampster! I think this will cut 1.5 lbs from my pack weight.

I hear a lot of people talk about "heet". I am using denatured alcohol, does "heet" burn hotter?
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door.

An Irish Blessing

Images

I did a control experiment once wher I chilled alcohol to 26* and had the brasslite stove in the freezer with it, then I used one ounce of alcohol to melt 17 ounces (weight) of ice and heat it to 212*. So yes, it can work. I do reccomend placing something that gives some insulation between the stove and the ground and if possible - warning the fuel by keeping it in a pocket until you use it. Given these percautions you shouldn't see much change in performance. My reccomendation is to also add about 6ml (one soda cap full) over and above normal fuel in case it takes a little extra to prime it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

The three main types of alcohol fuels are Methenol, Ethenol, and Propanol.

Propanol burns with soot. Ethenol burns clean and is safe (It's also 200proof liquor). Methenol burns clean, but is said to be dangerous if constantly contacting the skin. I'm told that your liver transforms it into formaldehyde, which is obviously a toxin.

Denatured Alcohol is 90% Ethenol & 10% Methenol. Methenol is added so it can't be safely drunk. Burns nice. Comes in 32oz cans which sucks.

There are two types of heet. Propanol HEET and Methenol HEET. I use a generic brand of Methenol Heet.

Rubbing alcohol I believe is 70% Propanol & 30% Water.

Even though methenol is said to be unsafe, I use it. It comes in 12oz bottles, and costs $0.50 a bottle at walmart (under the brand name "DryGas").

Technically, Everclear would be your best option, but at $22 a liter, it will be an awfully expensive trip!
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Images

Some Great gouge... Thanks Sgt Rock and Raginghampster. I was going to use Sgt. Rocks foil on the ground to reflect the heat. Last night I did the control burn and in 5 minutes I had it to a rolling boil with no reflective screens... so I am going to see tonight if that decreases the time... since Sgt Rock already did the cold experiment... thanks!

Raging Hampster, you used Walmart brand? I saw it on sale last night... I will have to stock up!

Sparky!

An Irish Blessing

Images

Just to clarify, there isn't an industry standard for denatured alcohol. SLX has a 5% methynol/95% ethynol mix, while Zip Strip brand uses a 16% methynol/83% ethynol mix. This is according to their MSDS sheets.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Question must you prime?

Sgt. Rock Sir,
    I made a Turbo V-8 from your instructions and love it. Using a piece of flashing for a windscreen, a Ti pot, and wire mesh for stand. I've been going thru a lot of alcohol getting acclimated to it...see what it will do. Outside temp is 18 deg and it seems to light equally well without a prime around the burner. I light the burner directly. What is your experience with this. Am I just getting lucky? Thanks, and I appreciate your input in these posts.

Images

My experience is you will need about 18 ml of fuel (3 soda caps full) which will get you between 200* - 212* depending on fuel and air temp. My personal position is you will hardly ever need to go over 190 degrees (BTW the same temp a coffee pot warms to) for cooking. In really bad conditions you may need to add an extra 6ml (one soda cap full) extra if the water and the fuel are very cold (below 32* F).

The tricks to using alcohol in cold weather:

1. Warm the fuel - keep it in a pocket prior to use.

2. Use liquid, not solid water. By this I mean either get fresh flowing water instead of trying to thaw out a solid bowl of ice. You can dip fresh from a stream, or sleep with a water bottle at night.

3. Place an insulator under the stove. Not just a reflector, but something to insulate like a folded bandana or something.

4. Use a windscreen and bottom reflector.

That may sound hard if you haven't done it before, but it ain't.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info. My wife thinks I'm a little strange spending so much time on the back porch but.....its the cheap thrills that make life adventurous!

Images

Hooaa!

And everything you make makes it that much better. Customazation rules.

If Monster Garage ever wants to make a car that turns into a backpacking stove...
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

:banana Mission Complete

Well, I completed my mission of making an alcohol stove.

SO..... I made a pepsi can stove, I used the design from Tin Can Stove Man ( He is an AT-L Super Hero and legend ) with a couple of my own twists.. I drilled small holes to allow the fuel to get into the chamber.. not big at all... as a matter of fact I want to say it is the smallest drill bit I had. Instead of the slot in the ever important fuel chamer to hold it together I used the aluminum tape... A LOT EASIER and FASTER!

The pot stand I used SGT Rock's dimentions but I chose different material. My wire mesh is a little more flexable and FREE since I had it around my house.

The wind screen design is taken straight from SGT Rocks site. The only difference is that my Pot needed a 23" aluminum pan to make the wind screen and I could only find an 18"... Getting frustrated at Wal-Mart... It hit me to use the aluminum tape I used to seal the stoves to tape two pieces together...... Worked like a charm. The only modification I did to Sgt. Rocks design was not to use the TABS but to tape my screen in a circle... It holds like a champ!

The reflective bottom screen was taken from Sgt Rock site

THe nd simmer ring was also take from Sgt Rock's site. I made a modification to mine. I cut more away on the sides but I left two pieces... One is about 1/3" long which is the handle and a nother piece which is 1/4" for gripping the stove. The handle would be at 6 o'clock and the tab I placed at 3 o'clock. It is easy to put on and take off and controls the flame beautifully. But becareful of the handle... it gets ~HOT~!

The total weight ( stove, wind screen, pot stand, simmer ring and reflective screen) is 3.3 ounces! If you add in one bottle of HEET ( 12 fluid ounces ) at 11.5 ounces you tip the scales at 14.8 ounces. This all fits into my 1.5 liter pot with room for my spices.
    This will save me over a pound in pack weight!

The real test was that I could bring two cups of cold water to a RAPID rolling boil in 3 minutes and 24 seconds. At first I thought this might have been a fluke, so I tried it again with different stove ( same design, I made 5... that is how easy they are to make) and it came to a RAPID rolling boil in 3 minutes and 26 seconds. PRETTY GOOD if I say so myself. Now this was in my basement with no wind and about 68 degree. But still impressive to me.

So how much did this cost me?
    Soda cans = FREE!
    Aluminum Tape = $2.39 ( Walmart)
    Aluminum oven pan = .98 ( Walmart)
    Bottle of HEET = .79 ( Walmart)
    Metal Mesh = FREE (I had some around the house )
    Total cost for 5 stoves ( and still making MORE) , a wind screen
    and fuel: $4.16

My only question is that I bought the BLUE HEET bottle. It left the bottom of my pots a little sooty, I was buring denatured Alcohol before and did not have the soot. I made sure I bought the one that had Methenol... should I have gotten the RED HEET instead?

Over all I am VERY Happy with this kick @$$ little stove. I will let you all know how she preforms in the field when I head out here. May not be next weekend as I had hoped.. family obligations... but I will be out by Mid March for sure!

Thanks to all who helped me... I surely could not have done this alone... A special thanks to Sgt. Rock's Site and to the AT-L Super Hero.. Tin Can Stove Man!

Sparky!

An Irish Blessing

Images

I was advised and found to be totally true that the YELLOW bottle of HEET leaves no residue. (Also .79 at "Wall Fart")

Images

I've never seen a blue bottle of HEET. I don't know what that is.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

HEET is just the brand name. Up here in the northeast we have a company called DryGas which comes in a blue bottle and red bottle. Blue is Methanol & red is Isopropanol. They may sell DryGas down south too, but I'm not sure how far down.

It's also cheaper than HEET. $0.50 rather than $0.79.
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

DryGas questionfor Raginghampster

"DryGas which comes in a blue bottle and red bottle. Blue is Methanol & red is Isopropanol." Which do you recomend???

Images

do not use anything containing isopro, it soots and clogs stuff like crazy.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Ditto on what rock said.

- Methanol burns clean and hot. Try not to get it on your skin.
    - Isopropanol burns sooty and I think cooler.
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

My personal reccomendation is ethynol. Since pure ethynol isn't cheap, get denatured which is usually about 85% - 95% pure with the rest being a small amount of methynol. I belive this makes it less harmfull and I know gives it more BTUs per ounce than pure methynol (yellow HEET).

Maybe you could brew your own
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Hey rock, does ethanol contain more BTUs than Methanol? How much per gram?

I'd use denatured alcohol, but it comes in 32oz containers, and it's easier & cheaper to buy two 12oz bottles of methanol "DryGas", which then get dumped into a 20oz soda bottle (you can actually fit more than 20oz, but leave a little air).
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

I forgot to mention my deep thanks to Raginghampster for his insight and guidance on fuel. If it were not for him, I would still be going to Lowes and getting the 32 ounce cans of denatured alcohol. Sorry I missed you, buddy.. You were a great help too!

To clarify... The blue HEET bottle is a "YELLOW" bottle with a blue label. They also had the Yellow bottle with a RED label. The Red was Isopropanol... I guess I took good notes because I got the right one! Yipeeeeeee I looked for the "Dry Gas" but they did not have any there, thinking I could get away with some that is cheaper. But for .79 for a bottle I figured I am worth it I know every time I go to "Wall Fart" ( tenderfoot you are too funny ) I will look for it either Heet on sale or the dry gas.

Sparky!

An Irish Blessing

Images

Exclamation

I did a little research on line about the BTU and stove fuel and this is what I found:

Methanol 8,570 BTU (Methyl alcohol; HEET)

Ethanol (100%) 11,531 BTU (Ethyl alcohol; denatured alcohol)

My reference is:

http://www.kzpg.com/Backpacking/Stove/Stove_notes.htm

This site has a lot of great information.

Hope this helps!

Sparky!

An Irish Blessing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++